Their coverage is outstanding. Here's why I think so highly of VZW.

My brother's carrier is sprint and yesterday his phone quit working on him (samsung instinct). So he took it in and got a new one. This time he went with an 8330. I guess he always heard me talking up BB and decided to give one a try lol. Anyway he gets home with it and I'm helping him set it up and I can't get a decent signal to save my life! It was the same way with his instinct but I always assaumed it had something to do with the phone being junk. So I'm trying to get online (via the phone) to download some essentials and I either get no connection or it drops out mid download. It took me forever just to get quickpull and appworld installed not to mention general browsing is like waiting for paint to dry. He gets 2 maybe 3 bars of signal at best. It sucks to see such a good phone crippled by bad coverage. I feel bad cause here he is waiting minutes for a page or an app to download and here I am with a hand me down pearl getting the same things done in seconds. It's unfortunate that this has to be his first BB experience. Being that we live in a large city I would expect more from a major carrier but I guess not. Who knows maybe I can get him to switch.

I always thought it kinda sucked having to pay more money for service and not get as much (plan wise) but after all of this I don't mind one bit. In the 3 years I've had Verizon they've always had excellent coverage and customer service which I appreciate even more so now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 08:37 AM
    2 bars is not bad coverage.....I get the same service on 2 bars that I get with 5...Now if its a shaky 1 bar then i will notice....

But 2 bars have never been a problem for me....So its possibly a bad phone if you can't get decent service with 2 bars.
    06-29-09 11:28 AM
    Same here. Love Verizon Service. I'm looking to pick up my first blackberry, but I'm not due to for an upgrade yet. So rather than go with someone else, I'm trying to find a used blackberry simply so I can stay with Verizon.
    06-29-09 11:48 AM
    I can tell the exact story just flip the carriers. In my area Verizon bites the big one.

Carrier coverage, no matter the carrier fluctuates from area to area.
    06-29-09 12:01 PM
    Yup, that is true. Guess it always depends where ya are.
    06-29-09 12:03 PM
    Yea verizon is the way togo for me.
    06-29-09 12:10 PM
    I'll jump in with my agreement here. I can have , and have had, more carriers than I care to mention and regularly have various carrier devices in my possession - yet I stick with VZW for coverage, speed, service & reliability.

Yup, that is true. Guess it always depends where ya are.
    Yea verizon is the way togo for me.
    Looks like the brothers strike together.

06-29-09 08:26 PM
    Where I live we get Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile. (Notice how I have em listed in order from best to worst). Verizon most definitely is WAY better than the others.
    07-01-09 12:08 PM
    Hold up hold up hold up! Just ONE minute!

T-Mobile is an EXCELLENT carrier if they offer coverage in your area!
    They have the best CS, and they offer the most bang for your buck.

I live in Manhattan, and every carrier is good. I have been places outside of NY where VZW claimed to have coverage and didn't and T-Mobile would either get 2 bars, or would work with UMA

One cool thing about making calls over WiFi is in the airport at the bottom where you get your luggage and picked up where no cell phones usually work but since almost all major airports have WiFi a UMA T-Mobile phone is amazing. Same with WiFi on flights! And it's $10 for unlimited calling unlike VZW who charges you $250 for a in-home device that doesn't even support 3G speeds.

Now, I Like that VZW offers almost anything you could want from a wireless carrier. You pay for it though, boy do you pay for it. I only am using VZW because T-Mobile has not released a 3G Blackberry yet but when they do I will probably get it.

HEY GUYS---

each carrier has it's faults ! AT&T with all their outages, Sprint with their whacked out billing system, T-mobile with their phone selection and being the smallest network and VZW with their ridiculous pricing and nickle and diming you for EVERY thing
    07-01-09 01:31 PM
    Hold up hold up hold up! Just ONE minute!
    I'll see your one and raise you TWO!

T-Mobile is an EXCELLENT carrier if they offer coverage in your area!
    I have been known to sing the praises of T-Mobile. Their overall customer service is at or near the top, in a similar league with VZW & well north of AT&T & Sprint. But the operative phrase here is "if they offer coverage in your area." That, in itself, is the biggest reason I closed a T-Mobile account for my kids/grandkids & rolled them into VZW.

Second reason is T-Mobile is a foreign company, wholly owned by Deutsch Telekom. I prefer American, thanks.
    They have the best CS, and they offer the most bang for your buck.
    This is rather subjective. If they don't have coverage where I need it, is it really more bang? Then there is the speed issue - with a mostly absent 3G footprint & no set roadmap to 4G, is the slightly lower cost worth the vastly slower speed?
    each carrier has it's faults ! AT&T with all their outages, Sprint with their whacked out billing system, T-mobile with their phone selection and being the smallest network and VZW with their ridiculous pricing and nickle and diming you for EVERY thing
    You bring up some valid points in this segment - some of which I agree with. However, I would like to remind you of two realities here.

1) This thread is in the VZW forum. It is not in any of the general discussion forums.

2) The title of the thread is "VZW is where it's at for me." it isn't "What carrier should I choose?" or "What are the pros and cons of each carrier?". And it certainly is NOT a thread about the pros/cons of WiFi or any other battery-sucking technology.

Feel free to discuss these things, just in the appropriate area of this site. Doing so here, off-topic, will only invite the ire of many.

07-01-09 02:20 PM
    And I completely agree with you.... i guess I just flamed up because the person above me listed T-Mobile as the worse of the 4 majors.

But yes, with any carrier, as stated before, it depends on where you live. I don't think T-Mobile's majority customer base is concerned with having the fastest internet so I don't think that is a major issue for them as they are more in the market of budget customers.

Verizon has unmatched content over-all in my opinion which is cool
    I'm pretty sure though T-Mobile was the JD Power & Associates leader in CS until maybe a year or two ago Verizon started to tie or beat them.

VZW also has excellent benefits for their employees (which i'm not but have friends who are) and they set a high standard for themselves which is always great for any company
    07-01-09 02:27 PM
    Its all good. I just dreaded the thought of another argument or flamefest. There should be enough fireworks this weekend without creating our own.

07-01-09 02:40 PM
    VZW's benefits are some of the best in the business, no doubt about that. Honestly, it still surprises me at time the sheer amount of benefits they offer..

That being said, we offer the biggest and best amount of coverage overall, in my opinion. Do we have the best coverage in every square inch of the country? No, and we don't promote as much. There are going to be certain places that we we don't have coverage. But we offer the most.

And people really need to stop saying we're ripping people off. It's your choice to be with us. Not only that, but AT&T's pricing is the same. You get what you pay for. Quit cryin'.
    07-01-09 03:25 PM
    ok now twin can probably explain this better then me.

But it was my understanding that the number of bars isn't as important for CDMA as it is for GSM...

IE if I have 1-2 bars on my verizon phone I can still browse the web and make phone calls NO problem...

but when I was on at&t with my iPhone 1 bar was like the worst thing it would barely even connect to a call..

no this isn't a at&t bash this is more of a gsm vs cdma question
    07-01-09 03:25 PM
    Have had Verizon for years, and have never had any problems with them at all. They're Great!

I am now living in a spot though that Verizon is the only carrier that actually works.
    07-01-09 04:48 PM
    ok now twin can probably explain this better then me.

But it was my understanding that the number of bars isn't as important for CDMA as it is for GSM...

IE if I have 1-2 bars on my verizon phone I can still browse the web and make phone calls NO problem...

but when I was on at&t with my iPhone 1 bar was like the worst thing it would barely even connect to a call..
    If all else were equal, you'd be correct. CDMA, being fully digital and variable bandwidth, is more tolerant & adaptable when it comes to signal variations. But all is not equal - at least where the bars are concerned. Each phone's interpretation of signal strength can vary, at least between models & definitely between manufacturers.

I always recommend viewing actual signal strength (db) if in doubt.

Overall though, one bar on AT&T or T-Mobile isn't a good thing, while I've made calls with no bars in VZW or Sprint.

07-01-09 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD