I'll be the first to admit, when it comes to terms & conditions and legal mumbo jumbo, I am an *****. I understand the layman's terms but reading the stuff sends me into a stupor.
    This might be a long post but I appreciate anyone reading it.

I'm on Alltel (should I call it Verizon?) atm and I just recently got the letter with Verizon's info about July 12th etc.
    Now I just went through an ordeal with attempting to renew my contract. After about 20 calls (yeah really!) and 6 visits to the store (which happened to changed it's Alltel sign to Verizon in the matter of a weekend), I got it ALL sorted out. I am not in a new contract afterall so yay.... maybe.
    With the new Verizon stuff incoming, will I be able to just plant my lines on Verizon should I choose to do so? Or will it be automatic?
    With all of the mess I've recently incurred, do you think I would be able to do so without some sort of "Alltel" etf? (I'm in my 120 day area)
    Should I wait until the July switching occurs?

I know it's a lot of questions but I'm hoping to find someone with some answers. Reason I'm asking is because Alltel no longer carries the phone I wanted and our local stores only carry a handful of choices for Alltel now. The rest is all Verizon. I'm not oblivious to the fact it seems to be what they're promoting.

Thanks to any answers I get. Sorry if it reads jumbled but at this point I'm very confused about what to do since my current phone is barely holding itself together.
    06-16-09 08:14 AM
    Here the stores don't have ANY Alltel options. The stores changed to Verizon overnight, and told us if either of us want to get a verizon phone then we both have to get one and switch to verizon plans. It kind of sucks because they switched our stores our stores out overnight 3 days before the letter said they were going to!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 08:32 AM
    I'll be the first to admit, when it comes to terms & conditions and legal mumbo jumbo, I am an *****. I understand the layman's terms but reading the stuff sends me into a stupor.
    This might be a long post but I appreciate anyone reading it.

I'm on Alltel (should I call it Verizon?) atm and I just recently got the letter with Verizon's info about July 12th etc.
    Now I just went through an ordeal with attempting to renew my contract. After about 20 calls (yeah really!) and 6 visits to the store (which happened to changed it's Alltel sign to Verizon in the matter of a weekend), I got it ALL sorted out. I am not in a new contract afterall so yay.... maybe.
    With the new Verizon stuff incoming, will I be able to just plant my lines on Verizon should I choose to do so? Or will it be automatic?
    With all of the mess I've recently incurred, do you think I would be able to do so without some sort of "Alltel" etf? (I'm in my 120 day area)
    Should I wait until the July switching occurs?

I know it's a lot of questions but I'm hoping to find someone with some answers. Reason I'm asking is because Alltel no longer carries the phone I wanted and our local stores only carry a handful of choices for Alltel now. The rest is all Verizon. I'm not oblivious to the fact it seems to be what they're promoting.

Thanks to any answers I get. Sorry if it reads jumbled but at this point I'm very confused about what to do since my current phone is barely holding itself together.
    Here the stores don't have ANY Alltel options. The stores changed to Verizon overnight, and told us if either of us want to get a verizon phone then we both have to get one and switch to verizon plans. It kind of sucks because they switched our stores our stores out overnight 3 days before the letter said they were going to!

If you want to get out of you alltel and you are more than four months from the end of your contract you will be responsible for ETF. otherwise just let it be drawn in. If you want to port your numbers into vzw you will still have to pay ETF, but you will be a 'new' VZW customer so you will get the deals on the phones. If you stick with alltel and let it be sucked in to vzw, when you go to upgrade to a vzw phone you will not be a new customer and will get only renewal prices on everythign...hope this helps.
    06-16-09 08:38 AM
    Ok.
    What are renewal prices? I'm not in a contract with either. So if I should wait till say... October to get a new phone, I'll have to pay full price for the equipment? Or I'll be able to get the discount?
    06-16-09 08:56 AM
    If you want to get out of you alltel and you are more than four months from the end of your contract you will be responsible for ETF. otherwise just let it be drawn in. If you want to port your numbers into vzw you will still have to pay ETF, but you will be a 'new' VZW customer so you will get the deals on the phones. If you stick with alltel and let it be sucked in to vzw, when you go to upgrade to a vzw phone you will not be a new customer and will get only renewal prices on everythign...hope this helps.
    Well thats kind of a raw deal now isnt it? One should be able to transfer service to the carrier that just bought out your service provider without racking up additional fees, no?

Reminds me of what Sirius did to their subscribers (myself included). After years of having NBA games on Sirius, they switched the games over to XM and wanted to charge me extra, citing "The NBA contract was picked up by XM, sorry".
    06-16-09 09:09 AM
    Ok.
    What are renewal prices? I'm not in a contract with either. So if I should wait till say... October to get a new phone, I'll have to pay full price for the equipment? Or I'll be able to get the discount?
    Well thats kind of a raw deal now isnt it? One should be able to transfer service to the carrier that just bought out your service provider without racking up additional fees, no?

Reminds me of what Sirius did to their subscribers (myself included). After years of having NBA games on Sirius, they switched the games over to XM and wanted to charge me extra, citing "The NBA contract was picked up by XM, sorry".

Sorry if that wasnt explained well...my wife was on the phone complaining about something. You wont have to pay full price but you will not get the NEW customer discounts just upgrades. The new discount is usually a lil better. Now you can stay alltel but at some point you will have to change, when you get new phones. Just like the cellone merger...there are still people somewhere I am sure on cellone. I personally think you will start losing EVDO coverage too. Which kinda would suck. But I hope this helps if you have any questions ask. But as far as waiting. just make sure you do it before you bill says vzw instead of alltel
    06-16-09 09:13 AM
    But as far as waiting. just make sure you do it before you bill says vzw instead of alltel
    Yeah see, wouldn't that make me subject to the ETF though? Wait does ETF still apply if you're in your 120 days from contract end?

My account says:
    Your last upgrade: Sep 06, 2007
    Next eligible upgrade: Available Now

I have 2 lines so I wouldn't dare want to have an ETF. Last thing anyone needs now is more debt and least of all unexpected debt. Just trying to make a game plan is all lol

Btw you've been a lot of help thus far and I thank you.
    06-16-09 09:20 AM
    Yeah see, wouldn't that make me subject to the ETF though? Wait does ETF still apply if you're in your 120 days from contract end?

My account says:
    Your last upgrade: Sep 06, 2007
    Next eligible upgrade: Available Now

I have 2 lines so I wouldn't dare want to have an ETF. Last thing anyone needs now is more debt and least of all unexpected debt. Just trying to make a game plan is all lol

Btw you've been a lot of help thus far and I thank you.
    TY and your welcome, as long as both lines are with in 4months I would go ahead and port to vzw. Will be easier I think in the long run. You could still get 'new' customer status, and not have to worry about anything getting 'lost' in the mix. Which does happen from time to time, u usually get it back but it can be hassle. That is my opinon on it
    06-16-09 09:33 AM
    Sorry if that wasnt explained well...my wife was on the phone complaining about something. You wont have to pay full price but you will not get the NEW customer discounts just upgrades. The new discount is usually a lil better. Now you can stay alltel but at some point you will have to change, when you get new phones. Just like the cellone merger...there are still people somewhere I am sure on cellone. I personally think you will start losing EVDO coverage too. Which kinda would suck. But I hope this helps if you have any questions ask. But as far as waiting. just make sure you do it before you bill says vzw instead of alltel
    Oh, ok. That makes more sense. It seems you are eligible for a new upgrade but cant transfer over due to a possible ETF. I believe the renewal prices are almost identical to the new customer prices so I say stick it out and wait and then transfer over to VZW, get a new device and all should be good with the world.
    06-16-09 09:34 AM
    Ok thanks everyone! I do feel I've come away with a better understanding of my options.
    06-16-09 10:19 AM
    My area will not be switching the billing systems to Verizon until October. Though the local stores are already remodeling to be Verizon. I was told that as long as I have at least one phone on my plan which is elligable for an upgrade, I can switch my entire account (4 lines) over to a Verizon plan and get everyone new phones without paying any ETFs. They explained that this is because they understand that customers want to keep their family plans together. I am going to do this in July when the Tour comes out. Even though the individual line price might be a bit higher, the cost for additional lines is less. I will end up with 3x the minutes for about the same cost.
    06-17-09 02:23 PM
    Here is how I look at it, as of July 12th, you will not be able to change your plan to an Alltel one, that alone is a change to the contract you signed, and a change of any kind voids it

But personally, I am not real happy with Verizon taking over, I have been with Alltel for 18 years, but it is what it is and, I will stay with Verizon, beats the **** out of AT&T

06-17-09 02:34 PM
    I hated the phones on Alltel so last wednesday I ported over to verizon early and got two storms for 150 with the buy one get one free deal....totally happy I did it.
    06-17-09 02:45 PM
    i've been a verizon customer for a long time its all depends on the market you are in. In Chi market we went thru similar switch in 2000 from Ameritech to VZW. Nothing to worry about i had the same plan same features just the bill grafics changed and the logo.
    06-17-09 02:54 PM
    Oh and one more thing some times when u upgrade to the new phone with new contract u get better deals then new customers that what i got on my storm 50usd less
    06-17-09 02:56 PM
    My area will not be switching the billing systems to Verizon until October. Though the local stores are already remodeling to be Verizon. I was told that as long as I have at least one phone on my plan which is elligable for an upgrade, I can switch my entire account (4 lines) over to a Verizon plan and get everyone new phones without paying any ETFs. They explained that this is because they understand that customers want to keep their family plans together. I am going to do this in July when the Tour comes out. Even though the individual line price might be a bit higher, the cost for additional lines is less. I will end up with 3x the minutes for about the same cost.

Hmmm, I currently have 3 lines with alltel. One for my 8330 I renewed this past November, one not under contract for my nephew and one up for renewal now for my daughter. So you say I can move them all over to verizon with no ETF because at least one is up for renewal and that I should do it now before the conversion in my area July 12th? Like many others I really want the Tour. I thought to get it without paying full price I'd just get it on the line that's up for renewal then replace the 8330 with a dumbphone for my daughter, delete the BB feature on that line and swap out the phone numbers. Any advice is appreciated.

forkup
    06-21-09 02:07 PM
    Hmmm, I currently have 3 lines with alltel. One for my 8330 I renewed this past November, one not under contract for my nephew and one up for renewal now for my daughter. So you say I can move them all over to verizon with no ETF because at least one is up for renewal and that I should do it now before the conversion in my area July 12th? Like many others I really want the Tour. I thought to get it without paying full price I'd just get it on the line that's up for renewal then replace the 8330 with a dumbphone for my daughter, delete the BB feature on that line and swap out the phone numbers. Any advice is appreciated.

forkup
    All lines must be within 4months for no etf...you would get one on your line only. other than that you have the right idea... IMHO you would be best to just pay the 200 ETF to alltel to get over to vzw as a 'new' customer.
    06-22-09 07:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD