When I bought a Tour (no contract) to replace my Storm Verizon would not let me just "buy" it. I had to link it to my account and activate it on the spot. They also told me it disabled my 1 year warranty. Well both of these things annoyed me. I am interested in getting a Storm 2 (outright, no contract) but I don't want to lose the warranty on my Tour. Also, why do you have to link it and activate the phone immediately?
    10-25-09 01:57 PM
    You do not lose the warranty purchasing the phone outright from Verizon. They will ask for your cell phone number because they dont want it to be purchased, unlocked and used elsewhere.
    10-25-09 01:59 PM
    You do not lose the warranty purchasing the phone outright from Verizon. They will ask for your cell phone number because they dont want it to be purchased, unlocked and used elsewhere.
    They explained to me that only the currently activated phone is warrantied and when I activated the Tour the Storm lost its warranty. That leads me to believe that if I buy a Storm 2 the Tour will lose it's warranty. Is this not the case?
    10-25-09 02:01 PM
    I have never had that problem. They will not do a warranty claim if you call and complain about the inactive phone I know that, and they wont do it if you just activate it and right away call with an issue. Does that make sense?
    10-25-09 02:05 PM
    A warranty is a warranty though. Why does its current status in regards to activation matter?
    10-25-09 02:06 PM
    If you were to contact RIM, yes they would agree, but Verizon being the middle man in the warranty claims has their stipulations to meet their exchanges of warranty devices. (this is what I was explained from a few CSR's at VZW)
    10-25-09 02:08 PM
    So you are saying that the warranty is actually provided by RIM and not Verizon and RIM will honor the warranty? Verizon keeps track of all the data in regards to the purchase date, ect.
    10-25-09 02:10 PM
    The warranty is through the MFG, not the carrier, hence why you hear different things about how to exchange devices from each carrier.

As long as you are the original purchaser, and sole owner of the phone your warranty will always remain in tact for the full year. If Verizon tries to tell you otherwise push back on them. I have done it, and they look it up and realize you bought it and just activated a different device.

If you activate it on another line, then back on yours, they will not honor the warranty, as they feel it does not transfer between owners, but enough pushback and you can get past that as well
    10-25-09 02:13 PM
    Cool, thanks.
    10-25-09 02:17 PM
    No problem. I know its a little confusing but I hope it was a help!
    10-25-09 02:20 PM
    Maybe it means that VERIZON will not honor the warrenty... perhaps calling RIM... but thats dumb, if it were me placing the order I'd just verify the first time the device was in the system and give it the year. Good to go. Thats how we do warrenty on 3rd pty phones.
    10-25-09 02:38 PM
    When I bought a Tour (no contract) to replace my Storm Verizon would not let me just "buy" it. I had to link it to my account and activate it on the spot. They also told me it disabled my 1 year warranty. Well both of these things annoyed me. I am interested in getting a Storm 2 (outright, no contract) but I don't want to lose the warranty on my Tour. Also, why do you have to link it and activate the phone immediately?
    VZW is not in the business of selling phones - they are in the business of selling service & provide the phones to use on that service. Even the phones you buy outright are reduced in price by RIM because they are anticipating revenue on your service.

As for the warranty, carriers are not open warranty service centers. They agree to be an intermediary on devices that are active on their network. If the phone is not active on their network, they are under no obligation to service that device. You are then stuck with getting it warrantied through the manufacturer.

Many manufacturers will only provide warranties for devices purchased by you AND currently active on the original carrier UNLESS you purchased it new, unlocked & unbranded.

So, once you deactivated your Storm, VZW is then removed completely from the warranty process. Alternately, if you buy a Tour or Storm & have it on T-Mobile or AT&T, you might not have any warranty at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD