Say my phone is after the 12 month warranty, I have the 5 dollar insurance plan and the phone breaks. I replace it by paying the 50 dollar deducible. Would that phone start again for the 12 month warranty or no warranty?
    04-09-09 04:41 PM
    Depends on the insurance. They may warranty the phones themselves. As for Verizon, your one year warranty expires after one year. period. Unless you have the 5.99 tec which extends the warranty an extra year.
    04-09-09 04:44 PM
    If you have the 4.99 insurance the device will have a 90 day warr.
    04-09-09 04:46 PM
    But after paying the 50 deductible you get a new phone out of the box wouldn't that have a one year warranty??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 07:24 PM
    not really, a lot of the time they are factory refurbished
    04-09-09 07:26 PM
    Asurion Insurance replacements have a one year warranty with them.

However, if manufacture defect is discovered within the first 30 days of activationg the replacement, then the customer has to contact Asurion to get a replacement. If the defect is discovered between day 31 to 365, then the phone can be replaced by Verizon Wireless.

There is some special procedure that VZW is supposed to go through to get the phone replaced at Asurion's cost, but usually it is just replaced with a certified-like new replacement like other phones since it is easier.
    04-09-09 09:39 PM
    not really, a lot of the time they are factory refurbished
    Try third-party refurbished. Just a couple places that Asurion deals with that does refurbs on all phones - BlackBerry, Moto, LG, etc.

04-09-09 11:22 PM
    Asurion Insurance replacements have a one year warranty with them.

However, if manufacture defect is discovered within the first 30 days of activationg the replacement, then the customer has to contact Asurion to get a replacement. If the defect is discovered between day 31 to 365, then the phone can be replaced by Verizon Wireless.

There is some special procedure that VZW is supposed to go through to get the phone replaced at Asurion's cost, but usually it is just replaced with a certified-like new replacement like other phones since it is easier.
    I looked all over the Asurion site and checked their terms. I found nothing regarding any warranty at all.

Asurion Information

So I called them. After a lot of hemming & hawing, she told me that replacement phones were covered only for 30 days on functional issues only.

Then I called 611. Spoke with Julie in Chandler, who told me that refurbished phones were covered by Asurion only and that she knew nothing of any additional warranty with them.

Another interesting tidbit is that once you hit your second replacement, if it is less than 12 months from the last, Asurion cancels your coverage and no additional coverage is available until the next time you buy a phone.
    04-09-09 11:52 PM
    That rolling 12 months thing is not per phone either, it's per MDN. Meaning if you use insurance once, upgrade then use it again you lose it ;0
    04-10-09 02:30 AM
    I thought the 50 dollar deductable got you a brand new phone?

So your saying that even though you get a new phone you won't get covered under the 1 year manufacture warranty?
    04-10-09 09:05 PM
    Nope - refurb or used. The Asurion literature even clearly states color may be different, there may be cosmetic issues and the phone model itself may not even match.

You could break your BlackBerry & get a MotoQ!

Guys, you too could be the proud new owner of a used PINK Samsung or Pearl with a scratch on the back!

04-10-09 09:13 PM
    If asurion ships you a new device then it has a 30 day warranty with them, and the remainder of the year is thru VZW. IF they ship you a refurbished device it has a one year warranty thru asurion. you can usually tell by looking under the battery on the label where the ESN is. If its refubished it will have Asurion printed on the label or on a blue sticker under the battery.
    04-11-09 02:45 PM
    What happens when you buy a phone off eBay or trade w/ someone? Does your 5 or 6 dollar insurance mean nothing now? If so, that'd really suck!! I better be super careful if it's true.
    04-11-09 06:23 PM
    What happens when you buy a phone off eBay or trade w/ someone? Does your 5 or 6 dollar insurance mean nothing now? If so, that'd really suck!! I better be super careful if it's true.
    I the real world, assurion would deny the claim, you can only insure a device that is purcahsed from a carrier, by you. As far as I am concerned there are huge loopholes in this procedure
    04-11-09 06:38 PM
    The insurance is valid ONLY on devices you buy new, from the carrier or authorized outlet. Once you switch out the phone, the coverage is nul & void and it is up to you to cancel the premium.

04-11-09 07:25 PM
    I looked all over the Asurion site and checked their terms. I found nothing regarding any warranty at all.

Asurion Information

So I called them. After a lot of hemming & hawing, she told me that replacement phones were covered only for 30 days on functional issues only.

Then I called 611. Spoke with Julie in Chandler, who told me that refurbished phones were covered by Asurion only and that she knew nothing of any additional warranty with them.

Another interesting tidbit is that once you hit your second replacement, if it is less than 12 months from the last, Asurion cancels your coverage and no additional coverage is available until the next time you buy a phone.
    I had to look it up for a customer just the other day. Asurion phones are covered by a 1 yr warranty. I'm not sure if the warranty is provided by Asurion or if it's something that Verizon offers, but it exists.
    04-11-09 10:34 PM
    That rolling 12 months thing is not per phone either, it's per MDN. Meaning if you use insurance once, upgrade then use it again you lose it ;0
    Right, but if new equipment is purchased after 2 claims have been filed, you don't have to wait to re-enroll. Your new equipment is insurable.

The insurance covers what ever phone is currently activated on the MDN.
    04-12-09 01:50 PM
    Nope - refurb or used. The Asurion literature even clearly states color may be different, there may be cosmetic issues and the phone model itself may not even match.

You could break your BlackBerry & get a MotoQ!

Guys, you too could be the proud new owner of a used PINK Samsung or Pearl with a scratch on the back!

That would NOT be funny at all. I would have to kick and scream about that one.
    04-13-09 04:11 PM
    so if i have cracks on my screen of my curve(which i do, i suck.) and go to get a new one(i have insurance and what not), theyd give me a refurbished one that could potentially be..not as great/new? maybe with cosmetic issues and what not?
    04-13-09 04:48 PM
    It is possible - yes.
    04-13-09 05:16 PM
    VZW gave me a refurb voyager where the "r" key doesnt work and the "e" is written backwards. Ive had it for 6 months and it no longer charges. They assured me it was not a refurb too. Im headed to AT&T...after I sell 2 of my kids to pay for the ETF!!!!!!
    04-15-09 08:08 PM
    VZW gave me a refurb voyager where the "r" key doesnt work and the "e" is written backwards. Ive had it for 6 months and it no longer charges. They assured me it was not a refurb too. Im headed to AT&T...after I sell 2 of my kids to pay for the ETF!!!!!!
    Hate to see you leave. If you saw these defect when got the phone, why the helll did you wait so long to say something. Don't take it out on your kids, buy a brain
    04-15-09 08:15 PM
    Your kids are only worth $100 a piece?
    04-15-09 08:25 PM
    That would NOT be funny at all. I would have to kick and scream about that one.
    No, it wouldn't be funny. But the pink might match your eyes.

Nine dead and they blame Marine training.
    --------------------------------------old George Carlin joke

04-15-09 08:30 PM
    so if i have cracks on my screen of my curve(which i do, i suck.) and go to get a new one(i have insurance and what not), theyd give me a refurbished one that could potentially be..not as great/new? maybe with cosmetic issues and what not?
    It'll depend on what Asurion has available in the inventory. You wouldn't go to the store to have it replaced, you'd either call Asurion or file your claim online on phoneclaim.com. The replacement will either be a brand new phone, or a certified like new device (refurbished) and both will be covered by a 12 month warranty. If new, Asurion covers the warranty on the 1st 30 days, and then after 30 days the warranty is handled by VZW. If a refurb, Asurion handles all warranty issues.

If it is a refurb, and it has any kind of defects (scratches, paint chips etc) be sure to call Asurion as soon as you get the phone and report shotty equipment quality and ask for a reship. More than likely the reship will be a brand new phone. They are required to send you a brand new phone if it is the 2nd reship, but usually the 1st reship will be new. If a new phone is not available due to it not being made anymore, then they will probably offer a comparable replacement
    04-15-09 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD