In reading about EV-DO vs. GSM/EDGE it appears that EV-DO is, on average, about 5 times faster in data transfer than GSM/EDGE. Can anyone relate any real time experience to this information? Has anyone moved from Verizon to AT&T or in reverse and can speak to the differences?

I use my 8830 for Web browsing quite a bit, but I'm tired of the unfulfilled promises to resolve the ringtone volume issue and hate the keyboard size and difficulty in seeing the keys in low light, so am considering moving to the Curve.

I am not one to tear apart my BB and put a new keyboard in and don't want to mess around with increasing the gain on MP3 files.

I've done some random tests of the 8830 vs. the 8310 Curve on AT&T and the Curve on AT&T appears to be slower. Any experience out there? Should I be concerned about this, or not?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    01-16-08 02:51 PM
    I am a new 8130 user. I have been a verizon customer forever (since the NY Tel and NYNEX mobile days). This past summer I fell into the ihpone craze and of course, had AT&T for a carrier, though I stayed with my verizon krazr too. I can tell you, I have dumped my iphone in favor of the BB 8130. AT&T was absolutely awful and EDGE is painfully slow. I found myself not using the internet capabilities of the iphone due to the slow speed of EDGE. With verizon on my Pearl, it's easily 5 times faster.
    01-23-08 06:07 AM
    EDGE is painfully slow, hence the reason why most GSM Smartphones and PDAs have Wi-Fi. EVDO is way faster and in my opinion, the data rates being more expensive on Verizon, Sprint, and Alltel, are worth it since I'm always on the web on my BB.
    01-24-08 08:07 AM
    Yeah, I was on an ATT Curve yesterday on EDGE and it took like 4 times as long to get Google Maps Mobile downloaded to it. I started laughing.

What most pople don't know is that CDMA technology is already at "3G Speeds", which means that by the time the GSM carriers go to 3G they'll only be matching current CDMA tech. By that time, but more then likely closer to 2010, Verizon and other CDMA carrier in the US will start outfitting their networks with 4G technology and actually moving away from CDMA, which may be a good thing for everyone.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 01-24-08 at 08:30 AM.
    01-24-08 08:28 AM
    The 8130 is EVDO Rev 0, not Rev A, so it's not the ultra blazing speeds of Rev A but it's not bad. EDGE is pretty painful though. I wouldn't call my 8130 broadband blazing fast, but it's useable. A 1 MB file takes maybe a minute depending on location, etc. etc. etc.
    01-25-08 09:01 AM
    I'm a bit confused. I have an 8830 with Verizon, and today a friend showed me the new Verizon iPhone "killer". He claimed he had 3G speeds, and it did seem to load WWW sites faster than my 8830. Does VZ really have 3G in Des Moines, IA? Is there a Blackberry sold by Verizon that has 3G?
    01-28-08 08:12 PM
    Yes the 8703, the 8830 and the 8130.
    01-28-08 08:17 PM
    I'm a bit confused. I have an 8830 with Verizon, and today a friend showed me the new Verizon iPhone "killer". He claimed he had 3G speeds, and it did seem to load WWW sites faster than my 8830. Does VZ really have 3G in Des Moines, IA? Is there a Blackberry sold by Verizon that has 3G?
    HAHAHA, Voyager the "iPhone killer".... hahahaha!

Anyway, check this out. Your 8830 is 3G! Current CDMA EVDO Rev0 is 3G.

Browsing on a mobile device has a lot to do with onboard cpu/memory as well as browser technology used, so your friend wasn't actually comparing apples to apples.
    01-28-08 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD