03-19-09 11:24 AM
59 123
tools
    AT&T>
    -3G Network coverage AND the backup Edge Network!!
    -We always seem to get phones out before everyone else..
    -HUGE selection of phones.. (just look at ATT.com)

VZN>
    -NO backup network.
    -Verizon tease their customers and say they're going to be getting phones.. they do, but not nearly as soon as they promise.
    -They disabled ALL GPS.. so you can't even download the free navigation apps. (you can use Nav4All with AT&T)

They're both comparable in price..
    Eh?
    - No backup network? Ummmm Last time I checked that was 1xRTT backing up the EVDO (And soon to be LTE) network not to mention VZW has the largest network. Lets make a clarification ATT has the MOST people because they merged 2 companies into 1... They do not have the largest network in terms of coverage. Thats factual..

- Tease customers? Anytime they say they were getting a phone, They got it. If it was delayed its usaully because they found something wrong and didnt want to put out a screwed up phone.

- GPS is disabled yes thats no secret so there is nothing new.

- Always seem to get the new phones first? Last I checked T-Mo and Sprint were pretty famous for that especially with exclusives...hmm the only thing I saw att getting first that was WORTHWHILE was the IPhone but lets not forget that Apple went to Verizon FIRST but VZW told apple to shove it cause they wanted too much control

So what exactly does AT&T have over Verizon?
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 05-05-08 at 08:45 PM.
    05-05-08 08:42 PM
    So what exactly does AT&T have over Verizon?
    Nothing except disillusioned fanboys and the desire to be Apple's lackey.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 11:43 AM
    I keep VZW because you get what you pay for.

I could care less I have a curve and someone on AT&T has a bold, I can wait.

03-12-09 04:50 PM
    I keep VZW because you get what you pay for.
    But wait! AT&T charges the same or more than VZW!

But - AT&T is slow. Even their EDGE 3G performance lags well behind that of the CDMA carriers. GSM is less secure and gives off up to 10x the radiation at the ear. It is also a WWII technology, unable to so soft handoffs when switching towers and has hard capacity limits, which explains the overabundance of 'network busy' intercepts and dropped calls while mobile.

Advantage: Verizon

AT&T has EDGE 3G (200-400kbps avg) in most major markets.
    Verizon has 1XEV 3G (500kbps-1.4mbps avg) in most areas of the country, in major & rural markets.

The things in favor of AT&T are that GSM will handle simultaneous voice & data - it simply lengthens the time division algorithm to accomplish this. Battery life is also greater with GSM, especially on smartphones, because GSM doesn't have the security features required by CDMA devices - hence the need for data plans on CDMA, but not on GSM.

Advantage: AT&T

Pricing is similar, but when compared straight up on features and plans, Verizon is slightly cheaper.

AT&T has the iPhone
    Verizon does not.

That's about as objective as I can make it. Since I'd not have a BlackBerry without a data plan, AT&T's advantage there fades and I place speed & security & radiation levels above simultaneous data/voice. For me, it is all VZW. But in an attempt to truly be objective, it is 4:1 in favor of VZW.
    03-14-09 12:02 AM
    VZW is more expensive but well worth it if coverage is important. Which At&t obviously doesn't have

03-14-09 11:06 PM
    VZW is more expensive but well worth it if coverage is important. Which At&t obviously doesn't have
    Let me say that I am not picking on you as your logic is sound; your intent good. But where do you see VZW as more expensive that VZW? I run plan checks on the AT&T site and I just don't see it.

03-14-09 11:54 PM
    Correct. I have verizon now but to tell you the truth they are behind on devices. And it takes forever to make cdma phones that gsm. I am switching because at&t will have the best network in future. Simulanteous voice and data will be the way of the future. If you don't realize it yet better start looking into it.

If you think Vzw won't eventualy be a part of that trend simultaneous
    voice and data think again..........
    But gee think about something here though; there is no price war between the
    two Att Vzw.
    Not thats what I am waiting on ;-)
    Last edited by TrendyProfessional1; 03-15-09 at 11:11 AM.
    03-15-09 10:56 AM
    Yes once LTE comes out it will be a whole new ball game. LTE ATT 2011 maybe (Rumored) VZW 2010 is the goal.
    03-15-09 11:12 AM
    is there a difference in applications or features available on vzw curve vs. att curve?
    If you are talking the 83xx series then not really apps except I don't think ATT gives you access to BB Maps (someone can correct me if I am wrong) BUT something you want to consider is MEMORY. THe 8330 has 96MB of RAM while the 8300, etc only have I believe 64.

Cant really comment on the 9300 since VZW is probably not getting that (Niagara instead) and ATT does not have it yet (TMO does).
    03-15-09 11:56 PM
    AT&T>
    -3G Network coverage AND the backup Edge Network!!
    -We always seem to get phones out before everyone else..
    -HUGE selection of phones.. (just look at ATT.com)

VZN>
    -NO backup network.
    -Verizon tease their customers and say they're going to be getting phones.. they do, but not nearly as soon as they promise.
    -They disabled ALL GPS.. so you can't even download the free navigation apps. (you can use Nav4All with AT&T)

They're both comparable in price..
    That's hardly balanced, and some of your facts are wrong/out of date

VZW also has 3G (they call it EVDO) and pretty much their entire network is that way, while AT&T has about a third of their network 3G so far.

Phone selection is not everything, nor is GPS (which is no longer crippled on newer BB's BTW).

Not sure what you mean by no backup network for VZW they have both their 1x and EVDO networks. If EVDO is unavailable some limited date can go on the Ix network which is mainly for voice.
    03-16-09 12:02 AM
    Let me say that I am not picking on you as your logic is sound; your intent good. But where do you see VZW as more expensive that VZW? I run plan checks on the AT&T site and I just don't see it.

AT&T and VZW pricing are almost identical, actually. If you have the unlimited plan AT&T is $5 cheaper and a few of their addons are as well but as a whole they are almost identical. Oh and: AT&T has Rollover minutes, but VZW has Friends and Family. If hostory repeats itselv eventually they will copy each other and both have those features but as of now they are pros for each depending on what you want.
    03-16-09 12:08 AM
    Yes once LTE comes out it will be a whole new ball game. LTE ATT 2011 maybe (Rumored) VZW 2010 is the goal.
    ATT got no service in my house,neighborhood, or even a mile from my house....verizon has 4 bars in my house with evdo... verizon is still owning the game now...u ever try talkin to an ATT rep? sometimes im just wondering if im talking to a monkey...
    03-16-09 12:25 AM
    AT&T and VZW pricing are almost identical, actually.
    I went ahead and did side by side pricing for what I have now
    5 phones, 1 BB data, unlimited texting and insurance on 2 phones using 1400 minutes.

This as well does not include any type of discount that may be offered

Verizon Wireless per month would be $191.93

and

AT&T per month would be $189.94

I always wondered how the price was different.
    03-16-09 01:53 AM
    Let me first put it out there that Phone Selection AS WELL AS Phone Reception are extremely important to me.

I like to phone hop, one day I'll be using a Curve, the next Day an iPhone, the next day a Nokia 8800 Sirocco Edition, and the cycle continues...

At the same time, I feel that it is extremely important to actually be able to USE the phone when you NEED to. Thats why I left T-Mobile because in my area their service flat out Sucked.

T-Mobile may be cheaper but I would much rather pay more and actually use the services I paid for...

In all Honesty Verizon is the Superior Carrier in my area.

I would switch In a Heartbeat, if it weren't for it being so damn limited in phone selection from the lack of SIM cards.

On that note- Due to its small selection I would only be able to select from THEIR phones, and everyone knows that they seem to be a bit behind on the times when it comes to phones.

My Office is all run by Verizon, and pays for BB services when used through Verizon Wireless. Being that I am Co-Owner I don't really have to switch.

But I am contemplating it...

I'm Just scared to jump onto the Verizon bandwagon and have to wait until 2032 for the Blackberry 9xxx to Come out.

Should I just stay with AT&T?

Any Advice?
    I call AT&T no bars in more places. Had them when I lived in New York had them in Los Angeles and they sucked in both places and everywhere in between (from a call quality standpoint). Verizon for me is the best for that. In terms of the phone selection ATT is better. So it comes down to what more important call quality or phone selection. That's a decision only you can make.
    03-16-09 02:14 AM
    I went ahead and did side by side pricing for what I have now
    5 phones, 1 BB data, unlimited texting and insurance on 2 phones using 1400 minutes.

This as well does not include any type of discount that may be offered

Verizon Wireless per month would be $191.93

and

AT&T per month would be $189.94

I always wondered how the price was different.
    At&t wont insure any phone over $300 so that eliminates any blackberry or smarthphone. Verizon's insurance(asurion) will. Theres a difference in price right there.
    03-16-09 12:37 PM
    At&t wont insure any phone over $300 so that eliminates any blackberry or smarthphone. Verizon's insurance(asurion) will. Theres a difference in price right there.

Okay that brings AT&T down to $184.95 then.
    03-16-09 02:46 PM
    In monthly yes but what if you busted a phone? then your out full retail!
    03-16-09 05:23 PM
    Then to be fair, you'd either give VZW an extra plus, or back out the price of the insurance for both.

03-16-09 05:29 PM
    Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah we forgot about that one huh. Very important if u are a high end phone user..........................
    03-16-09 05:36 PM
    tmobile has undoubtably the best phones, almost all with wifi but with sucky service. att is kinda in the middle moderate phones moderate service. then vzw has a low phone selection with unmatched service. to me it dosent matter what kind of phone you have if you cant use it bc of bad service. vzw is usually late with phone releases but they always top gsm phones when they finally get out a year later.....PS cdma call quality is far better than gsm
    Well they amped it up a bit with the Storm n the Omnia......
    Smart phones I think VZdub is on par........
    I will take relaible service. Why doesent VZdub do a hostile takeover of Sprint.
    Monoply huh...............
    03-16-09 05:40 PM
    Okay dropping the insurance all together for both phones

AT&T = $179.96
    VZW = $179.95

I just ran it through both sites again because I could not remember how much AT&T charged for insurance.
    03-16-09 11:05 PM

AT&T = $179.96
    VZW = $179.95

I just ran it through both sites again because I could not remember how much AT&T charged for insurance.
    OH MAN! VERIZON RIPS ME OFF & CHARGES ME SO MUCH MORE!

03-16-09 11:10 PM

AT&T = $179.96
    VZW = $179.95

Sounds like rape to me!
    03-16-09 11:15 PM
    03-17-09 12:54 AM
    That's hardly balanced, and some of your facts are wrong/out of date

VZW also has 3G (they call it EVDO) and pretty much their entire network is that way, while AT&T has about a third of their network 3G so far.

Phone selection is not everything, nor is GPS (which is no longer crippled on newer BB's BTW).

Not sure what you mean by no backup network for VZW they have both their 1x and EVDO networks. If EVDO is unavailable some limited date can go on the Ix network which is mainly for voice.
    The data network is absolutely awesome. ATT can't compare, I am currently in rural northern Georgia and I have full EVDO. A colleague has a Bold and he is limited to EDGE only. Several times I have been in out of the way areas, and tethered at full EVDO speeds (actually fastest connections due to lack of other users) and my phone almost always works. If it isn't working, move 30 feet and it works fine. Sure, I have dead spots, but not as many as I see others have with other carriers.

VZW is the network. CDMA is a blessing and a curse. It is a better protocol than GSM, but it doesn't have the market share of GSM and therefore, the handset selections.
    03-17-09 08:41 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD