03-19-09 12:24 PM
59 123
tools
    Let me first put it out there that Phone Selection AS WELL AS Phone Reception are extremely important to me.

I like to phone hop, one day I'll be using a Curve, the next Day an iPhone, the next day a Nokia 8800 Sirocco Edition, and the cycle continues...

At the same time, I feel that it is extremely important to actually be able to USE the phone when you NEED to. Thats why I left T-Mobile because in my area their service flat out Sucked.

T-Mobile may be cheaper but I would much rather pay more and actually use the services I paid for...

In all Honesty Verizon is the Superior Carrier in my area.

I would switch In a Heartbeat, if it weren't for it being so damn limited in phone selection from the lack of SIM cards.

On that note- Due to its small selection I would only be able to select from THEIR phones, and everyone knows that they seem to be a bit behind on the times when it comes to phones.

My Office is all run by Verizon, and pays for BB services when used through Verizon Wireless. Being that I am Co-Owner I don't really have to switch.

But I am contemplating it...

I'm Just scared to jump onto the Verizon bandwagon and have to wait until 2032 for the Blackberry 9xxx to Come out.

Should I just stay with AT&T?

Any Advice?
    04-23-08 01:30 PM
    Only you can decide what's more important to you...

The coverage/service?
    The SIM card?
    The phone selection?
    Cost of services?

Once you are able to prioritize this for yourself, will you know whether to stay with ATT or VZW.
    04-23-08 01:38 PM
    try out each service and see which sounds best to you in terms of signal and call quality. everyone has a 30 trial period.

i travel the east coast and vzn is better for me than sprint and att.
    04-23-08 01:42 PM
    If coverage area and signal strength are most important - definitely go with Verizon. I use the Pearl on Verizon and just love it. (I live in central NJ)
    04-23-08 02:04 PM
    I have verizon and I live ina very rural area- and servive around here with verizon is just better- but you're right, being tied down to one phone kinda sucks- you have to decide what's best for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-08 03:17 PM
    Provisioning on Verizon phones can be done just as much as SIM based phones can. You just have to do it online through the My Account portal, that's all. It's not as easy as switching a SIM card around, but can be done.

However, even then, you can't really switch from a Curve to an iPhone and expect your email to magically work on both, without major redundency being applied to your account. The data services for Blackberries is totally different then the ones for regular phones. It just seems silly to have that kind of billing overpayment for what you might not use all the time. Ultimatly, it's your choice, but I'd stick to a SIM based network for now... when 4G LTE comes to Verizon by 2010, then they'll be back to SIM as well so you can always change then.
    04-23-08 03:57 PM
    Correct. I have verizon now but to tell you the truth they are behind on devices. And it takes forever to make cdma phones that gsm. I am switching because at&t will have the best network in future. Simulanteous voice and data will be the way of the future. If you don't realize it yet better start looking into it.

04-23-08 04:09 PM
    However, even then, you can't really switch from a Curve to an iPhone and expect your email to magically work on both, without major redundency being applied to your account. The data services for Blackberries is totally different then the ones for regular phones. It just seems silly to have that kind of billing overpayment for what you might not use all the time. Ultimatly, it's your choice, but I'd stick to a SIM based network for now... when 4G LTE comes to Verizon by 2010, then they'll be back to SIM as well so you can always change then.
    Yes-

Usually I just do a quick call to AT&T to switch stuff over...

It does incur some additional or overage charges, but it doesn't really matter at the end of the month anyway...

No Biggie

04-23-08 04:13 PM
    I am switching because at&t will have the best network in future.
    OK, without going too much off topic here, don't hold your breath on that one. AT&T and for that matter ALL US based GSM carriers are dragging their butts even getting to 3G speed. VZW is already 3G now and has been. They just bought a large spectrum of 700MHz on the FCC auction for their LTE rollout. I hate to say it, but VZW's 4G will be the best.... so we can all anticipate more crippled phones just because of that alone in the future.
    04-23-08 09:31 PM
    Verizon cripples GPS
    04-23-08 09:59 PM
    Ok, if I coowned a business, my #1 priority would be a signal..
    If vzw has the signal go with them. You like to phonehop, get a pearl and a curve, you can switch between the 2 in 2 minutes online.
    2 BBs, good signal, your own business=life is good. I've had tmo, AT&T, sprint/Nextel, and vzw. I need to be in touch 24/7 so vzw is what I need. My .02

04-23-08 11:24 PM
    I say you pay for what you get.

That's why my bill is ~100 bucks a munth.

Vzw for me!

I won't go close to the iPlop. Not a fan of 2 handed phones!

04-24-08 02:01 PM
    Let me first put it out there that Phone Selection AS WELL AS Phone Reception are extremely important to me.

I like to phone hop, one day I'll be using a Curve, the next Day an iPhone, the next day a Nokia 8800 Sirocco Edition, and the cycle continues...

At the same time, I feel that it is extremely important to actually be able to USE the phone when you NEED to. Thats why I left T-Mobile because in my area their service flat out Sucked.

T-Mobile may be cheaper but I would much rather pay more and actually use the services I paid for...

In all Honesty Verizon is the Superior Carrier in my area.

I would switch In a Heartbeat, if it weren't for it being so damn limited in phone selection from the lack of SIM cards.

On that note- Due to its small selection I would only be able to select from THEIR phones, and everyone knows that they seem to be a bit behind on the times when it comes to phones.

My Office is all run by Verizon, and pays for BB services when used through Verizon Wireless. Being that I am Co-Owner I don't really have to switch.

But I am contemplating it...

I'm Just scared to jump onto the Verizon bandwagon and have to wait until 2032 for the Blackberry 9xxx to Come out.

Should I just stay with AT&T?

Any Advice?
    Sure glad I just love my BB, doesn't need all that switching between phones. My BB is good enough for me.
    04-24-08 04:28 PM
    I had ATT had to dump them
    Main reason is there coverage area in the ND SD Idaho .Montana area was limited or did not exist. I also had problems with it on some Islands in Hawaii and when in Alaska.
    The customer service rep were so understanding all they kept saying was we will improve or expand in those area one day soon.
    Heck that was over two years and service is still sucky.
    Is there a perfect company. That depends on what you want and your area of service
    If you travel in the states a lot try vzw for the 30 days if it does not meet your needs go back to ATT.
    Hope that helps for now it is vzw for me as ATT has to much white non coverage are even in tody in the west

05-03-08 11:10 PM
    I had ATT had to dump them
    Main reason is there coverage area in the ND SD Idaho .Montana area was limited or did not exist. I also had problems with it on some Islands in Hawaii and when in Alaska.
    The customer service rep were so understanding all they kept saying was we will improve or expand in those area one day soon.
    Heck that was over two years and service is still sucky.
    Is there a perfect company. That depends on what you want and your area of service
    If you travel in the states a lot try vzw for the 30 days if it does not meet your needs go back to ATT.
    Hope that helps for now it is vzw for me as ATT has to much white non coverage are even in today in the west

05-03-08 11:10 PM
    Verizon simply has the BEST network. If you need to make a call and can't - it doesn't matter what you paid for the service.
    05-04-08 09:42 AM
    verizon has the best service hands down, check out consumers report!
    05-05-08 03:17 AM
    I like the customer service guarantee - that they don't advertise much, but still stick to.

They will solve your problem on the first call.

I've called them on it a few times. . . they come through.
    05-05-08 03:23 AM
    tmobile has undoubtably the best phones, almost all with wifi but with sucky service. att is kinda in the middle moderate phones moderate service. then vzw has a low phone selection with unmatched service. to me it dosent matter what kind of phone you have if you cant use it bc of bad service. vzw is usually late with phone releases but they always top gsm phones when they finally get out a year later.....PS cdma call quality is far better than gsm
    05-05-08 07:53 AM
    vzw spends more yearly expanding service than any other us carrier, thats why they lack in advertisements and phone selection. Im never without bars
    05-05-08 07:56 AM
    IM going to try and make this as unbiased as possible...

As a person who has used Sprint, Att / Cingular, Verizon and Nextel I would have to say that if coverage is your top priority then VZW should be your choice but on that same token make sure you check a coverage map for your area.

In terms of customer service and the network with sprint I had billing issues, crappy customer service BUT never had a dropped call really. Nextel, the coverage was spotty but it was where I needed it to be and the customer service was great (before sprint takeover). Cingular / AT&T my biggest issue was that although I had SEMI-comparable coverage to VZW the calls had problems going though. Every 3rd or 4th call coming in or going out would not connect and Cingular / AT&T said it was a small problem and said it would be fixed soon. I gave them 3 weeks....no change so I dumped them and went VZW

Price wise the best deal out there right now I would have to say is sprint because of the all inclusive 99.00 unlimited package deal (and that includes blackberry and tethering at last check) Just remember you get what you pay for.

If technology and phones are your thing, I again have to give it to sprint. They have had a history of having killer phones over the years without a doubt. Now granted they dont have the IPhone but remember AT&T was apples SECOND choice for a carrier not their first.

I cant judge tmo because I have never used them but they do have some good BASIC plan deals. As you add stuff on to the plan like Mobile to mobile, Insurance, BB service etc... they come on par with the rest of the carriers.

Over all I say go VZW... Granted we dont always have the BEST phones out there but the customer service (in my opinion) is excellent and I can say that very seldom am I without a signal and thats what matters. For reference I am in the Washington DC / Baltimore Metro area
    05-05-08 02:54 PM
    is there a difference in applications or features available on vzw curve vs. att curve?
    05-05-08 07:50 PM
    I travel thru out the US and will say vzw has the best coverage in the western us and in general most of the US
    I have used my phone in remote areas od ND SD Idaho Montana Alaska to name a few.
    Is vzw perfect no as I have had isues where I had to call the corporate offices.
    I have had ATT and had to dump them as of poor calll quality.
    I have Nextel as a backup phone. I have had no major issues with them as I use them on the Eastern End of LI NY and in Ga and Al.
    I would sugest you try and see hoiw the service is in the area with the different providers..

05-05-08 08:04 PM
    AT&T>
    -3G Network coverage AND the backup Edge Network!!
    -We always seem to get phones out before everyone else..
    -HUGE selection of phones.. (just look at ATT.com)

VZN>
    -NO backup network.
    -Verizon tease their customers and say they're going to be getting phones.. they do, but not nearly as soon as they promise.
    -They disabled ALL GPS.. so you can't even download the free navigation apps. (you can use Nav4All with AT&T)

They're both comparable in price..
    05-05-08 08:11 PM
    verizon has the best service hands down, check out consumers report!
    Note: A LOT of consumer reports are customers that other companies paid to make bad reviews about their competition..
    05-05-08 08:13 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD