Well I'm up for a contract renewal and was just wondering how Verizon stacks up against AT&T for various things,such as their 3G speeds vs. AT&T's 3G data speeds? Also with AT&T I'm able from here in the united states to send and receive texts messages from my friend on here cell phone in England,would I be able to do this on Verizon's service?

Also would Verizon's Blackberry Tour be able to roam globally due to it's GSM Sim card slot? Is the GSM Verizon uses tri-band or Quad-band like AT&T? I get the impression that the the Verizon BB Tour is a hybrid world phone is this correct? Should I switch to Verizon from AT&T and get a BB tour? Is Verizon eventually going to be an all GSM vs. a CDMA/GSM carrier as it now,allowing for global roaming as AT&T does now?
    07-21-09 10:07 PM
    Do your research and see what carrier works best in your area. verizon will not be a GSM carrier and the Tour is a "world phone"
    07-21-09 10:10 PM
    I like the overall coverage and flexability of gsm/ATT.
    07-21-09 10:26 PM
    You also might want to consider whether or not you want Wi-Fi capability. Verizon does not offer Wi-Fi on their BlackBerries now. A Tour with Wi-Fi might be coming next year on Verizon, but the current Tour does not have Wi-Fi capability.
    07-21-09 10:29 PM
    I was thinking of getting VZW, but their rate plans are horrible. Much like att.

Best phones do come to att, and vzw is getting the Storm 2, but other than that, nothing exploding from vzw, ever.

Depending on your area, coverage varies. 3G speeds might suffer on one carrier, while the other doesn't. Not a lot of 3G devices on att other than the Bold, Nokia 71, and possibly 5 other phones no one uses. Vzw, not sure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 11:31 PM
    Do yourself a favor and DO NOT get a Verizon phone. I worked for them for 10 years and they do not care what the customer thinks, just pay your bill and shut up is their moto.
    07-21-09 11:44 PM
    I was thinking of getting VZW, but their rate plans are horrible. Much like att.

Best phones do come to att, and vzw is getting the Storm 2, but other than that, nothing exploding from vzw, ever.

Depending on your area, coverage varies. 3G speeds might suffer on one carrier, while the other doesn't. Not a lot of 3G devices on att other than the Bold, Nokia 71, and possibly 5 other phones no one uses. Vzw, not sure.

That's a bold (no pun intended) statement. Particularly with LTE on the horizon.
    07-21-09 11:47 PM
    Well I'm up for a contract renewal and was just wondering how Verizon stacks up against AT&T for various things,such as their 3G speeds vs. AT&T's 3G data speeds?
    The question is best answered in your area. Either answer could be correct depending on your specific GSM/CDMA coverage.
    Also with AT&T I'm able from here in the united states to send and receive texts messages from my friend on here cell phone in England,would I be able to do this on Verizon's service?
    I think you can do this regardless of your carrier.
    Also would Verizon's Blackberry Tour be able to roam globally due to it's GSM Sim card slot?
    Verizon will always be CDMA (that's the short way to ignore that portion of the question) you can take your Tour to another network and you have a slot to put in a SIM card. That doesn't specifically mean that you phone can roam on GSM networks. But it COULD work on them.
    You also might want to consider whether or not you want Wi-Fi capability. Verizon does not offer Wi-Fi on their BlackBerries now. A Tour with Wi-Fi might be coming next year on Verizon, but the current Tour does not have Wi-Fi capability.
    Valid point. Not something you talked about in your original post. But if you love your WiFi, you should consider that when you consider switching.
    I was thinking of getting VZW, but their rate plans are horrible.
    I went toe-to-toe with all the major 4 carriers. Seems that I can spend the minimal with T-Mobile. 2nd best is Sprint. AT&T and Verizon are basically 6 of 1 as far as cost vs coverage. But when you include all points, Sprint also uses ALL Verizon towers, so price was least, while coverage was best. So I went there.
    Do yourself a favor and DO NOT get a Verizon phone. I worked for them for 10 years and they do not care what the customer thinks, just pay your bill and shut up is their moto.
    Of course every company ever wants to give their lowest level employees the ability to charge their customers and nothing more. That's not a Verizon policy, that's a universal policy for everyone. Don't count that against Verizon. Just live with it as a life lesson.
    07-22-09 12:15 AM
    I have had almost every phone co... And I'd have to say VZW & AT&T are the best.. I personally think AT&T's benefits & pitfalls out weigh Verizon's... But VZW has been gettin' better so who knows... Maybe in a few yrs VZW may be on top (in my opinion..). Good Luck!!
    07-22-09 12:28 AM
    You, OP, did not mention how much you talk on the phone. AT&T is the only carrier that let's one roll over his minutes. That might be something else to consider.

07-22-09 12:33 AM
    I have been with Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon and I have to say that I enjoy AT&T the best, however Sprint has the best phone plan. AT&T has the better phones and more phones. If wifi is of importance to you, then go with AT&T or t-mobile. Wifi is almost non-existent on Verizon and Sprint (when it comes to BBs, they have none at all). I hear a lot of complaining about AT&T's dropped calls, but I have been with them a long time and really haven't experienced it too much. I probably have a dropped call once a month. Albeit, I don't talk on the phone as much as most people. Although, when I was with Sprint, I didn't have one dropped call in about a year. You may also want to look into how the carriers handle repairs. One of the things I liked about Sprint was that they had repair shops all over. My wife is still with Sprint and she has routine repairs done on her phone for free like replacing the trackball when its dirty or not working properly. With AT&T, you will only be able to swap your phone for a refurbished one. Customer service is another important component. How a carrier handles handles issues with service or devices is important. Verizon representatives seemed very incompetent. I could only aty with tem for a couple of weeks before I became so exhausted from trying to get them to correct simple problems. AT&T will try to help you, however if they cannot fix your issue, they essentially tell you to deal with it. Sprint won't be able to resolve any issue you have ever, but they will throw money at the problem. If your bill is wrong, they will shave $50 from it. If you are dissatisfied with the service, they will credit you $100. You problem will continue, but you will receive financial relief just about every time. I think I will always stay with AT&T because their phones are always higher end. Compare the BB devices from each carrier. The higher end ones are always from AT&T. Plus, the upgrading eligibility is better with them. After a year, you are eligible for an upgrade and will pay only the two year contract price. With Sprint, you only get $150 max. This isn't a lot when you are buying a phone that is $600. I didn't get that far with Verizon, so I'm not sure how they upgrade phones.

07-22-09 06:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD