05-12-09 02:45 PM
33 12
tools
    I will be going out of the country for the summer on May 23. I will be purchasing a blackberry before then. Question is: should I get a storm? or switch to AT&T and buy a Bold?

Any other suggestions?
    05-11-09 02:50 PM
    I'd say a storm.
    05-11-09 02:54 PM
    Best to stay with a reliable BB if you're going out of the country. Go with the Bold, too many problems with the Storm that haven't been resolved.

Search the Storm forum and you'll see what people are complaining about.
    05-11-09 02:59 PM
    I have an unlocked Storm that I use on T-Mobile everywhere in the world except Japan. I have no service issues and I really like the size of the screen.
    05-11-09 03:12 PM
    i'd say storm because the verizon network is better you don't want to come back and be stuck with att service in america plus once you install the beta .141 it runs alot better the only problem is the lock/ unlock
    05-11-09 03:14 PM
    National coverage verizon is currently tops (until At&t completes 3G) as for world coverage At&t rocks it. I'm a bold user which if haven't had any issues. I also purchase phones for my company and tested a storm. the biggest difference is in the texting as the storm will double key often.
    05-11-09 03:18 PM
    National coverage verizon is currently tops (until At&t completes 3G) as for world coverage At&t rocks it. I'm a bold user which if haven't had any issues. I also purchase phones for my company and tested a storm. the biggest difference is in the texting as the storm will double key often.
    Uhmmm, AT&T is 3G, Did you mean 4G, and coverage varies greatly. I had a Storm on VZW and my coverage was poor in some of the places where I needed it such as work and home. AT&T has 5 bars in these places, but a poor area where VZW was fine.

Some of the coverage issues with VZW maybe the Storm. In my home 5 bars on an iPhone and only 2 bars on the Storm. Both were on AT&T.
    05-11-09 03:25 PM
    I will be going out of the country for the summer on May 23. I will be purchasing a blackberry before then. Question is: should I get a storm? or switch to AT&T and buy a Bold?

Any other suggestions?
    as far as VZW and ATT its easier to use a GSM(ATT) phone overseas when you can just insert a pay per use sim card in whatever country you go to(providing you get the phone unlocked)

i would see which company has better reception where i live,work and roam since you're not going to be overseas forever

as far as comparing a Storm to a Bold..no competition whatsoever...if you want a VZW phone get the 8330 curve or wait for the 9630 tour..at least they both work as advertised
    05-11-09 03:26 PM
    Best to stay with a reliable BB if you're going out of the country. Go with the Bold, too many problems with the Storm that haven't been resolved.

Search the Storm forum and you'll see what people are complaining about.
    Because people register to post that they're having great results with the storm right? I work in CS and if I based what I heard I would think everyone on Verizon got their bill messed up, got overcharged, mischarged, or hated their service. No one calls to say "Thanks you're doing great." Do you own a storm or are you just going off what you've read?

Do you have data to back this up? I'm pretty sure different travel magazines and travel websites pick Verizon Wireless as best Global Coverage.
    05-11-09 03:32 PM
    are there issues with the Verizon storm using a different sim card, which I will likely do?
    05-11-09 03:37 PM
    No, you just call and get an unlock code as long as your account is in good standing you will get it.
    05-11-09 03:40 PM
    Great, I am really thinking AT&T may be the best move as the Bold is (so it seems) a far superior phone to any current VZW Blackberry, at least until July (but that is unfortunately too late). Although I would prefer the Curve 8900 which comes out a few days later at AT&T.
    05-11-09 03:42 PM
    Do you own a storm or are you just going off what you've read?
    Owned a Storm and it was the biggest POS phone I've ever owned. My Treo was more reliable. The Storm has been a major headache for both VZW and RIM.

They may be working hard on getting a reliable OS (authorized, not leaked) out for the Storm but, so far they've failed.
    05-11-09 03:44 PM
    Owned a Storm and it was the biggest POS phone I've ever owned. My Treo was more reliable. The Storm has been a major headache for both VZW and RIM.

They may be working hard on getting a reliable OS (authorized, not leaked) out for the Storm but, so far they've failed.
    Well that's your opinion, I have a storm and it works fine for me.
    05-11-09 03:46 PM
    honestly what do you expect the answer would be, in a verizon section.
    05-11-09 03:49 PM
    Well that's your opinion, I have a storm and it works fine for me.
    And we have another Storm FanBoy shut down. Yes, it's my opinion and the opinion of many others who have experienced the Storm. The guy is looking for information and in my opinion its best to go with a reliable phone if he's going to be out of the country. Who would want to be stuck in another country with a phone that has numerous known issues? Not me and I'm sure not the OP.

Notice there was no comment to the faulty OS.
    05-11-09 03:52 PM
    I'm pretty sure different travel magazines and travel websites pick Verizon Wireless as best Global Coverage.
    Can you point me to these travel websites and magazines?
    05-11-09 03:54 PM
    Do you have data to back this up?
    Probably not necessary to back it up. It is now well known that AT&T has no intention of completing their 3G network.

Even if they did, it wouldn't be as far reaching a network as VZW's. Montana is a good example, as I mentioned in the Ask VZW thread.

I got to see my brother over the weekend. He lives in SoCal (LaJolla area, San Diego) & just got a Samsung Glyde. Many of his friends in the area have iPhones - they love their iPhones, but hate AT&T. One is an attorney in Los Angeles who had a Bold as his work phone & an iPhone for personal use, along with a laptop card from VZW. This guy has no issues with price and can afford what he wants. He lives 45 miles from his office & takes perimeter routes - and for a large portion of his drive, he had no signal on either phone, but his laptop had a constant signal. My brother, who has no need for a full smartphone, picked up his Glyde at the recommendation of the friend because he is now on VZW with a Glyde & a Curve and has full signal for his entire trip.

I know the basic route this guy drives & can vouch for coverage issues - and even have a bid in for some facilities to install there for AT&T. But expected construction is for 2012 with LTE. On the flipside, CDMA carriers, including Sprint, have very good coverage in the same area today.

AT&T won't even provide decent coverage on the outskirts of LA - we can't expect them to offer good service in rural areas, much less nationwide.

are there issues with the Verizon storm using a different sim card, which I will likely do?
    Unlock & go - easy stuff - you do need to know that tower handoffs between CDMA & GSM will result in dropped calls.
    honestly what do you expect the answer would be, in a verizon section.
    Yes - but I do work for all carriers & speak from a practical standpoint. If you want slant, feel free to look for all of the I HATE AT&T or I HATE SPRINT posts in the AT&T & Sprint forums.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 03:57 PM
    I just love all these people flaming the Storm, yet they don't even have one. Don't knock it before you try it, WITH an OS above .100 on it.

The people complaining are those who don't know what the h3ll they are doing when trying to upgrade. The only reason the Storm has such a bad rap is because VZW pushed the release when the software was underdeveloped.

Someone, please name one other BlackBerry that has been released with software below X.X.X.100... Had VZW waited a bit longer to release the Storm it would have came out being more of a sick, "must-have" phone.

As far as global capabilities go, both the Bold and Storm have a SIM card slot. All you have to do is call to have it unlocked, but I'd inquire in the store because there are some restrictions to unlocking.

Service wise, AT&T sucks where I live and VZW rocks everywhere I've been (26 states all across the US).

To me, it's all personal preference... If you want a touch screen, get the Storm and load a good OS on it (.132 in my opinion, it's quite stable). If you want a Berry with a full QWERTY, decide between the Bold on AT&T and the Tour on VZW.
    05-11-09 04:01 PM

Any other suggestions?
    You most definitely want to go AT&T.

Pick up Bold- 3G ,wifi and fully unlocked GPS or their new 8900- 2G , wifi and fully unlocked GPS
    Last edited by Slingbox; 05-11-09 at 04:17 PM.
    05-11-09 04:02 PM

You do need to know that tower handoffs between CDMA & GSM will result in dropped calls.
    This is true, however, you can choose GSM ONLY which will eliminate this problem when you're overseas.
    05-11-09 04:06 PM
    This is true, however, you can choose GSM ONLY which will eliminate this problem when you're overseas.
    Yes, I did neglect to mention this - my mindset was more in tune with domestic usage.

Something else we don't know - all we know is the OP is going out of the country. If he is heading to Europe or Africa, the Storm or Bold might be the best option due to GSM capabilities. If heading to Canada, Mexico or especially the Orient, CDMA would be the ticket.

And no, I am not going to list all the world's best options - everyone knows I don't do long posts from my BlackBerry.

05-11-09 04:15 PM
    i'd say storm because the verizon network is better you don't want to come back and be stuck with att service in america plus once you install the beta .141 it runs alot better the only problem is the lock/ unlock
    You haven't had any problems with .141 on Verizon? I want to install it but am not sure if Verizon will suddenly not allow my phone to work.
    05-11-09 04:44 PM
    You haven't had any problems with .141 on Verizon? I want to install it but am not sure if Verizon will suddenly not allow my phone to work.
    Remove the vendor/carrier ID before install - VZW will not care, unless you have a tech or warranty issue.

05-11-09 05:06 PM
    And we have another Storm FanBoy shut down. Yes, it's my opinion and the opinion of many others who have experienced the Storm. The guy is looking for information and in my opinion its best to go with a reliable phone if he's going to be out of the country. Who would want to be stuck in another country with a phone that has numerous known issues? Not me and I'm sure not the OP.

Notice there was no comment to the faulty OS.

Storm FanBoy? How am I one of those? because I said the phone works fine that makes me a fanboy? Is your opinion the only correct opinion and everyone elses makes them a fanboy if they go against what you say?

The storm is very reliable, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but the storm has been reliable for me.

How can you decide what's right for the OP?

We also have other worldphone options like the Samsung Saga and the Samsung Renown

Can you point me to these travel websites and magazines?

Gobal Traveler Readers Pick Verizon Wireless for Wireless - WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS

Verizon Wireless Recognized as the World's Best Wireless Service by Global Traveler - Technology News - redOrbit
    05-11-09 06:50 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD