04-10-09 05:51 PM
136 12345 ...
tools
    Sprint customers pay a lower monthly bill for great coverage and high speed data. Verizon customers pay more, but get CDMA RIM devices first.
    You hit the nail on the head.
    V getting device first is great but crippling gps so customers have to spend extra 10buc a month Telanav.is unacceptable...they need to cut it out.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 04-05-09 at 07:45 PM.
    04-05-09 07:41 PM
    I find it interesting that a a Sprint user started this whole thing in the VZW forum. Interesting huh? Bottom line it what ever you are happy with.

PS. I think this forum is about to crash and burn. I think it will be lock and removed.
    +1

Im out of here ,Twinsx2dad thinks hes better then poor Sprint users.
    OP / V customers ,Im sorry for tearing into your forums
    04-05-09 07:48 PM
    You hit the nail on the head.
    V getting device first is great but crippling gps so customers have to spend extra 10buc a month Telanav.is unacceptable...they need to cut it out.
    I DO enjoy uncrippled GPS....and the best part is its free on Sprint.
    04-05-09 08:11 PM
    I find it interesting that a a Sprint user started this whole thing in the VZW forum. Interesting huh? Bottom line it what ever you are happy with.

PS. I think this forum is about to crash and burn. I think it will be lock and removed.
    And to think - maybe I should treat, and react to, these guys in exactly the same manner I'd be treated if I were to go to the Sprint forum and tell everyone what crap they were using.

These kids come over here and expect royal treatment & for people to roll over for their talking points. I'd like to see them root for the Redskins at Texas Stadium.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 08:20 PM
    Funny, I have no problem using BBMAPS on the VZW curve and know lots of others that use it on pearl.

Now if you both would like to read the numerous post about the GPS issue around this site. You will see verying options on this issue. mostly is it type chip that is used, not that it crippled. Before you bite my head off, do some reading and form an opinion.
    Last edited by lastraid; 04-05-09 at 08:24 PM.
    04-05-09 08:22 PM
    Funny, I have no problem using BBMAPS on the VZW curve and know lots of others that use it on pearl.

Now if you both would like to read the numerous post about the GPS issue around this site. You will see verying options on this issue. mostly is it type chip that is used, not that it crippled. Before you bite my head off, do some reading and form an opinion.
    That not ture ,GPS can be fully unlocked with service book but they refuse.the reason they refuse is that they want you to pay 10 bucs a month for Telanav.
    They unlocked BBmaps a few months ago ,If you want google maps ,weather apps with gps..anything GPS app related your out of luck with V BBs
    Hopefully they will take chains off and open port on your device soon..its very unfair.
    Their are a few law suits going on because of it.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 04-05-09 at 08:40 PM.
    04-05-09 08:32 PM
    That not ture ,GPS can be fully unlocked with service book but they refuse.the reason they refuse is that they want you to pay 10 bucs a month for Telanav.
    They unlocked BBmaps a few months ago ,If you want google maps ,weather apps with gps..anything GPS app related your out of luck with V BBs
    Hopefully they will take chains off and open port on your device soon..its very unfair.
    Their are a few law suits going on because of it.
    AH yeah.

Also there have numerous law suits against VZW for this matter and none have won. BUt they will keep trying. Also as time goes on, this is the direction VZW is going anyway. I.E. the storm. I am sure future BB devices.

FYI VZW does not use Telanav. It is called VZNavigator.
    04-05-09 08:46 PM

These guys don't care about reality - only their talking points. They speak using circular logic, without reasoning.

• They say: GPS IS LOCKED!
    • You respond: No it isn't.
    • They say: YES IT IS!
    • You respond: No, I can take my VZW device to Sprint, with no update in software or firmware & the GPS works. Then I take it back, again with no changes to sortware/firmware and it doesn't work.
    • They say: SEE! VZW LOCKS IT!
    • You respond: No, they didn't lock the chip, as that is not an option in the design of the chip. VZW doesn't allow potential security issues that other carriers allow and they don't want to give up their network integrity.
    • They say: BUT VZW COSTS MORE!
    • You respond: So? I get what I pay for. i want a reliable network that works everywhere I go.
    • They say: BUT I CAN GO ANYWHERE THERE ARE VZW TOWERS!
    • You respond: Then how is it my phone works in places yours doesn't?
    • They say: BUT VZW IS SO SLOW TO OFFER NEW PHONES!
    • You respond: They cannot offer what the manufacturers don't make.
    • They say: BUT VZW DOESN'T ALLOW WIFI!
    • You respond: Sure they do. look at all of the WiFi-capable WinMo devices offered by VZW.
    • They say: BUT THEY DON'T OFFER A WIFI BLACKBERRY!
    • You respond: Name me a single CDMA carrier that does.
    • They say: BUT VZW HAS BLOCKED WIFI BLACKBERRY PHONES!
    • You respond: So you expect us to believe that VZW can stop RIM from making phones for US Cellular & Sprint?
    • They say: BUT VZW CRIPPLES THEIR DEVICES AND KEEPS USERS FROM HAVING GPS!

And it starts anew, usually in a different venue or thread or site. They can seldom site specifics, other than maybe taking a ten-point pro/con list & focusing on the only con in the list.
    04-05-09 08:47 PM
    true, but for a time I am entertained and amused. Then I will become bored and walk away.

In the famous works of someone, it is my story and I will embellish it any way I want
    04-05-09 08:51 PM
    AH yeah.

Also there have numerous law suits against VZW for this matter and none have won. BUt they will keep trying. Also as time goes on, this is the direction VZW is going anyway. I.E. the storm. I am sure future BB devices.

yeah hopefully...maybe when they get new BB line up they will unlock pearl and curve.
    My sis is hating life not able to use 3rd party gps app on her V Curve and may not be renewing because of it.
    04-05-09 09:10 PM
    No one is trying to pee in your guy's cornflakes. I'm pretty sure that the name of this thread is "Verizon vs. Sprint with 8330", so a couple of us Sprint guys came over to offer our opinions on the comparison. Otherwise, you guys would only see a bunch of biased posts from your fellow Verizoners. It would've been cool if this thread had been posted in the 83XX forum. That way, there would've been a lot of mixed opinions from Verizon users and Sprint users.

Now, back to the topic at hand....
    04-05-09 09:24 PM
    Telenav is the backend for AT&T & Sprint. Networks in Motion is the backend for VZNav.
    No one is trying to pee in your guy's cornflakes. I'm pretty sure that the name of this thread is "Verizon vs. Sprint with 8330", so a couple of us Sprint guys came over to offer our opinions on the comparison. Otherwise, you guys would only see a bunch of biased posts from your fellow Verizoners. It would've been cool if this thread had been posted in the 83XX forum. That way, there would've been a lot of mixed opinions from Verizon users and Sprint users.
    True on all counts. However, this is a Sprint customer asking the advantages of VZW. As such, the OP is probably familiar with Sprint and may have a reason to switch. Or they simply wanted to start something.

Now if it were a Sprint customer wanting to know if they should switch to VZW, AT&T or T-Mobile, then it would've been better placed in a more neutral forum.

The problem really is that this forum has seen more than its fair share of people coming over here just to stir things up. As I mentioned previously, going into forum setup for discussion on the carrier you don't like is asking for trouble. Want rude responses? Go into a Mustang forum spouting off that the new Camaro will wipe the floor with any Ford.

Reasonable people expect this.

The last bar brawl I witnessed was in a Packers-centric pub after some rude Bears fans decided to show up.

That is saying something, as some of the nicest people you'll ever come across hail from Wisconsin.

04-05-09 10:02 PM
    Wow I just read through this whole post and damn it took a long time. Quite amusing, lol I am enjoying this battle, lol

04-05-09 11:55 PM
    Please dont forget.. Verizon might have some difficulties if the ITT Corp lawsuit wins against verizon.. that will put a cripple into verizons gps ability along with a nice chunk of cash..
    04-06-09 10:27 AM
    Please dont forget.. Verizon might have some difficulties if the ITT Corp lawsuit wins against verizon.. that will put a cripple into verizons gps ability along with a nice chunk of cash..
    Before any of the anti-VZW types ride off into the sunset with this, I'd like to offer a little clarity, excerpted from the Wall Street Journal:

IITT Files Patent Suit Against Verizon, O.thers

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

ITT Corp. (ITT) filed a lawsuit against Verizon Wireless and several handset players, alleging the companies illegally used its global positioning system technology in their phones. The company said Verizon Wireless, a joint venture between Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Vodafone Group PLC (VOD), continues to infringe on the patent by selling cellphones adapted to operate with assisted GPS technology and by providing services including support for GPS. ITT said it has notified Verizon Wireless of the patent. A Verizon Wireless spokeswoman declined to comment on the litigation. ITT, White Plains, N.Y., also said Verizon Wireless has induced other companies to violate the patent by encouraging them to sell GPS phones and provide a cellular network that supports GPS operations.

Other defendants in the patent-infringement case include handset makers LG Electronics Inc. (066570.SE); Motorola Inc. (MOT); Kyocera Corp. (KYO); and Nokia Corp. (NOK). Qualcomm Inc. (QCOM), which makes chips for cellphones, was also named as a defendant. ITT settled patent-infringement claims several years ago against other wireless companies in disputes concerning assisted GPS technology.

Assisted GPS was initially developed partly because the government wanted a way for emergency responders to locate people in trouble. But more recently, the wireless industry has used location technology as a tentpole for an array of services, including recommendations for nearby ATM machines or restaurants, or advertisements based on nearby stores. The company is demanding a permanent injunction against the defendants to prevent them from infringing on the patent further, except where needed to support 911 calls. A Motorola spokesman said, "We do not think we're in the wrong and we'll defend ourselves vigorously." Qualcomm, LG, Kyocera all declined to comment. Nokia couldn't be reached for comment.
    -By Kerry E. Gracee
    I bring this up because similar suits were settled in the past against AT&T, T-Mobile & others. It did not put a crimp in the GPS offerings of those carriers.

Dozens of suits are filed against carriers each week. Many never make it into court or past preliminary stages. Oftentimes, they are filed as a threat and not much more. This suit appears to be more serious that that, but agreements are forged, changes are made, apologies issued & life goes on. Even in a worst-case scenario, all we'll see is an invisible hardware or code change.

Please note that RIM is not mentioned in this matter.

04-06-09 12:02 PM
    From what I've heard from the rumorville anyway is that within the next two years Verizon will be buying out Sprint/Nextel. So why this is still being discussed, I have no clue.

Soon it shall be:

Verizon
    (With customers from Sprint/Nextel, Sprint, Nextel, AllTell)

against

AT&T
    (With customers from AT&T/Cingular, AT&T, Cingular)

Game over.
    04-06-09 12:46 PM
    From what I've heard from the rumorville anyway is that within the next two years Verizon will be buying out Sprint/Nextel. So why this is still being discussed, I have no clue.

Soon it shall be:

Verizon
    (With customers from Sprint/Nextel, Sprint, Nextel, AllTell)

against

AT&T
    (With customers from AT&T/Cingular, AT&T, Cingular)

Game over.
    Somehow i dont think the justice department will allow a monopoly in CDMA technology... But just keep telling yourself that to justify overpriced plans
    04-06-09 01:56 PM
    Yeah ,I don't get why its being discussed either..exspeacily in this thread but hehe I will chip in .That Rumor is over 5 years old and will never happen

Blackberry buying Palm , Palm buying blackberry ,HTC buying Blackberry , ATT merging into Verizon..or the either way around..all rumors holding no fact but thanks for keeping Verizon/Sprint merge rumor alive..its funny to read
    Last edited by Slingbox; 04-06-09 at 02:09 PM.
    04-06-09 01:59 PM
    That is an old rumor and one that I'd bet against ever happening - but not because of any legal issues. Monopoly laws blind to technology issues and the FCC only dictates two carriers per market. It might be an issue if VZW were to attempt a takeover of AT&T, but not a smaller carrier, as long as it would still leave two carriers in the market.

Now, with all of that, any merger/buyout would need to make business sense. With Sprint, all VZW would be buying, truthfully, is customers. These are customers who tend to not fit the same demographic as VZW customers. The network isn't needed, as Sprint already relies on VZW for much of its network. In comparison, the old proprietary portion of the Alltel network was over twice the size of Sprint's.

It would be difficult, in my mind, to make a business case. A charity case, yes - but VZW isn't in the charity business. What could happen is Sprint liquidation or failure, at which point, another carrier or management company may assume assets.

04-06-09 03:34 PM
    That is an old rumor and one that I'd bet against ever happening - but not because of any legal issues. Monopoly laws blind to technology issues and the FCC only dictates two carriers per market. It might be an issue if VZW were to attempt a takeover of AT&T, but not a smaller carrier, as long as it would still leave two carriers in the market.

Now, with all of that, any merger/buyout would need to make business sense. With Sprint, all VZW would be buying, truthfully, is customers. These are customers who tend to not fit the same demographic as VZW customers. The network isn't needed, as Sprint already relies on VZW for much of its network. In comparison, the old proprietary portion of the Alltel network was over twice the size of Sprint's.

It would be difficult, in my mind, to make a business case. A charity case, yes - but VZW isn't in the charity business. What could happen is Sprint liquidation or failure, at which point, another carrier or management company may assume assets.

Nobody cares if Sprints bumping off of V...except for you it seems.Im beginning to think your mad at V for letting them do so but look at it this way ,Your carrier made some good money on that deal passing savings down to its customers
    You need to wash your Verizon underwear , bed spread and drapes..keep yourself productive because its not happening in this thread but first please answer questions I asked you in post #45 & #47 .
    .................................................. .................................................. .
    I'm getting great coverage and CS as you so were even on those points

Do you like your crippled device?
    Do you think V rom release is better then 131?
    Last edited by Slingbox; 04-06-09 at 04:48 PM.
    04-06-09 03:51 PM
    Yeah when Sprint bought nextel they tore it up.

No sprint employee here lol I couldnt handel it lol

All carries have pro and cons , There are many coming from V and ATT loving Sprint.

Great customer service for some , not for ether's,My sis has been with them 2 years receiving billing mess ups and hard time getting device replacement.
    Example
    Shes 8 months pregnant , V refused to send replacement Curve in mail , She spent over 2 hours on phone begging CS to mail replacement so she didn't have to drive to V store.
    The good news is they sent in mail
    My Parents are on V as well ,They drop calls left and right with not so good call quality...They wont drop V because home phone package deal.

Bottom line is both carries have faults in coverage areas but as Gizmodo test shows Sprint is in good shape ,for those that want to dismiss test so be it..but if you wouldnt mind posting another detailed test showing them wrong.hehe no Verizon test or blogs please lol
    Gizmodo - The Definitive Coast-to-Coast 3G Data Test - 3G
    I don't believe that for a second.... I've had a few Blackberry replacements, and I BEGGED to go to a store to get the replacements so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping, and they wouldn't do it, they had to ship it to me. I even went to a store instead of calling a couple of times, and the store tech told me they don't keep fru data devices in stores, they would have to order it and ship it to me anyway.... Were they trying to send her to the store to double-check to make sure it wasn't physical damage or water damage? If not, your story is highly unlikely. Also, customer service doesn't send replacement device, tech support does. Customer service does tier 1 trouble shooting, and when the device still isn't working, they send you to data/tech support who then do tier 2 trouble shooting, and if they deem it's a warranty issue, that's when they send a replacement.

As for your parents and their home phone bundle, ask them to ask Verizon Communications how much they're saving. Usually by bundling, you only save up to $5 a month. But majority of the time "it's just the convience" of having all services on one bill instead of 2 or 3 different bills...
    Last edited by scurvydlicious; 04-06-09 at 09:11 PM.
    04-06-09 09:05 PM
    I don't believe that for a second.... I've had a few Blackberry replacements, and I BEGGED to go to a store to get the replacements so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping, and they wouldn't do it, they had to ship it to me. I even went to a store instead of calling a couple of times, and the store tech told me they don't keep fru data devices in stores, they would have to order it and ship it to me anyway.... Were they trying to send her to the store to double-check to make sure it wasn't physical damage or water damage? If not, your story is highly unlikely. Also, customer service doesn't send replacement device, tech support does. Customer service does tier 1 trouble shooting, and when the device still isn't working, they send you to data/tech support who then do tier 2 trouble shooting, and if they deem it's a warranty issue, that's when they send a replacement.
    She did trouble shoot a few times on phone because she couldn't drive to store.It took her a couple hours with CS to get replacement.
    She told them she was scared of dropping water in store so they mailed lol

If my device isn't working correctly..lets say gps is broke , I call sprint and they send me another..no need for store ride.

As for your parents and their home phone bundle, ask them to ask Verizon Communications how much they're saving. Usually by bundling, you only save up to $5 a month. But majority of the time "it's just the convience" of having all services on one bill instead of 2 or 3 different bills...
    Im not asking my parents how much their paying lol
    Old people like keeping things simple ,They got everything in one package and are content until dad starts dropping calls then blowing it off as no big deal.
    A couple days later he will want to leave V yet scared to because of package...it makes everything simple
    Ive hinted to him going att or sprint , they will be V customers for ever and ever
    Last edited by Slingbox; 04-06-09 at 09:48 PM.
    04-06-09 09:32 PM
    There is know doubt you need to switch to verizon.
    No thanks ,I get more with Sprint
    04-06-09 09:33 PM
    She did trouble shoot a few times on phone because she couldn't drive to store.It took her a couple hours with CS to get replacement.
    She told them she was scared of dropping water in store so they mailed lol

If my device isn't working correctly..lets say gps is broke , I call sprint and they send me another..no need for store ride.
    That was my point, VZW is the same way. They don't even keep replacement data phones ( Blackberrys/WinMO devices ) in store. The only reason they would send someone with a Blackberry/Smartphone to a store would be because they believe there is physical damage or water damage to the phone and not a manufacturers defect... They do it as a precaution, if your sisters Blackberry had water damage, and VZW replaced it under warranty and she sent her "defective" phone back to VZW and they see it has water damage, then your sister would be charged full retail price of the Blackberry replacement. If they don't suspect water/physical damage, they will send a replacement, and without begging.

Even if I were pregnant, it would be well worth the trip to potentially save me $400-$500.

Im not asking my parents how much their paying lol
    Old people like keeping things simple ,They got everything in one package and are content.
    I understand that, they also like to keep their bills private
    04-06-09 09:46 PM
    That was my point, VZW is the same way. They don't even keep replacement data phones ( Blackberrys/WinMO devices ) in store. The only reason they would send someone with a Blackberry/Smartphone to a store would be because they believe there is physical damage or water damage to the phone and not a manufacturers defect... They do it as a precaution, if your sisters Blackberry had water damage, and VZW replaced it under warranty and she sent her "defective" phone back to VZW and they see it has water damage, then your sister would be charged full retail price of the Blackberry replacement. If they don't suspect water/physical damage, they will send a replacement, and without begging.
    Water damge or not ,She needed repalcment and couldnt drive to store 8 months pregnet.
    V kept her on phone for 2 hours saying no we cant then changed their mind because they were scared she would drop water in store.
    I think she has insurance so deductible if physical damage was present would take over.

Even if I were pregnant, it would be well worth the trip to potentially save me $400-$500.
    I could understand that but 8 months pregnant , cant walk ,baby kicking away...that's pretty intense.

I understand that, they also like to keep their bills private
    hehe my fathers old school Italian lol
    For me to ask him how much he pays for anything would be insult , I stay away from that one lol
    Last edited by Slingbox; 04-06-09 at 10:19 PM.
    04-06-09 10:07 PM
136 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD