04-10-09 06:51 PM
136 123 ...
tools
    I'm currently with Sprint and have the 8330...I'm thinking about switching to Verizon, but wanted to know what the biggest differences were. I really like Sprint TV...does Verizon offer something comparable? I also heard that Verizon's 8330 doesn't allow you to record videos, is that true? Any other differences I should know about before making the leap?
    04-02-09 07:31 PM
    04-02-09 07:33 PM
    No current TV on VZW. You can record video - I do it all the time.

With VZW, you get vastly superior coverage areas, but at a higher cost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 07:34 PM
    im also jealous of sprint users since they have the choice of black or red and we are stuck with silver or pink yea i know we can change housing but it would be nice to have more color options.
    04-02-09 07:42 PM
    What about plan differences? Right now me and my husband have unlimited minutes, text, pic mail, internet, etc...and we pay about $189...what would I be looking at for both us for atleast 2000 minutes and unlimited text and internet usage?
    04-02-09 08:09 PM
    I have a suggestion. It won't even require you searching or typing the URL into your browser. Click on this link:

VerizonWireless

This way, you can see for yourself instead of asking others to do your legwork.
    04-02-09 11:19 PM
    I have a suggestion. It won't even require you searching or typing the URL into your browser. Click on this link:

VerizonWireless

This way, you can see for yourself instead of asking others to do your legwork.
    hahahahahahah
    04-03-09 02:02 AM
    Not to mention far Superior Customer Service with VZW, but then again I might be a bit bias
    04-03-09 09:24 AM
    As a Sprint Blackberry tech who is a Verizon Blackberry customer, I would lean towards advising you to stick with Sprint if you are happy with the phone and customer service.

Swapping to Verizon, you're going to pay more. Do you have ETF to pay if you cancel your Sprint acct? Do most of your friends/family use Verizon/Alltel? If you're going to a minute plan you'll have to consider your mobile to mobile minutes.

You'll be able to add 10 #'s to your friends and family list with Verizon, possibly making up for it if most of your contacts are Sprint customers. Being that you have the unlimited minutes plan with Sprint, you probably don't even pay attention to what carrier other people use, right?

Look at things like that.

As far as comparing one phone's services to another... there isn't a Verizon tv option that I know of. Sprint tv (outside of streaming the NFL network, do they still even do that?) is boring as ****. And we're making changes, taking away a lot of the channels in the coming month.

Navigation is free with any unlimited data plan with Sprint. With Verizon, you will be paying $30 a month for data on each Blackberry device you have. No choice. The Navigation, oh that's $9.99 a month extra. Per device.

But the Maps feature is a decent tool. I haven't tried using it in a real world situation.

On my Verizon Curve, I'm able to add emails myself, Sprint customers always seem to have to call in for assistance with that (if they don't have the user name/password for the website for editing email). I usually give that info for new customers hoping they will use it later on, saving them hassle.

I'm on Verizon because I'm on a family plan, almost everyone I know is on Verizon or Alltel. Anyone else is on our Friends & Family list. I had Sprint a few years ago, I had no problems with them, except when you're roaming in some places all you can do is make calls and text were hit and miss. As a customer and as a rep, I have to say using data features with a Sprint phone in roaming does not work at all. Maybe now it does in some areas..

With Verizon I have all features anywhere I get a signal.
    04-03-09 10:48 AM
    I just did a quick check, Verizon has a family plan for $179.99 that gives you unlimited data/text/picture messaging AND Navigation. 2100 minutes.

"True" MMS messaging on the Verizon phone. When you are sent a picture, it opens in the message, instead of having to click on a link.

I think this is what you are looking for.
    04-03-09 10:50 AM
    I just did a quick check, Verizon has a family plan for $179.99 that gives you unlimited data/text/picture messaging AND Navigation. 2100 minutes.

"True" MMS messaging on the Verizon phone. When you are sent a picture, it opens in the message, instead of having to click on a link.

I think this is what you are looking for.
    IF you are talking about the Premium plans, BB devices will not work on this. So they tell us

BTW your other post is a great comparison. Great for telling folks the vastly better network that VZW has.
    Last edited by lastraid; 04-03-09 at 09:07 PM.
    04-03-09 10:55 AM
    On sprint u can get family SEP 1500 for $130 and 3000 for $170 (before any discounts). If u r happy w/ sprint service now, why pay more for less on verizon?

04-03-09 11:06 AM
    On sprint u can get family SEP 1500 for $130 and 3000 for $170 (before any discounts). If u r happy w/ sprint service now, why pay more for less on verizon?

For all reasons that were posted by a sprint employee that has VZW. I will always say that if a carrier service makes you happy, then it works for you. No reason at anytime to argue about it.

(Just a Comment) usually banter about carriers will escalate into argument and hur feelings.

Again bottom line it is what ever works best for your needs.
    Last edited by lastraid; 04-03-09 at 09:07 PM.
    04-03-09 11:15 AM
    why pay more for less on verizon?
    More accurately, why pay more for MORE on VZW?

Easy stuff.

1) Faster network

2) Vastly greater coverage

3) Generally much better customer service

4) How many times more customers & free mobile-to-mobile calling?

For me, 2-4 are the big reasons. I have over 900 entries in my address book. Of those, I know one is Sprint and that is actually one of the kids' friends. There may be a few more, but I don't call them much.

My entire family is now on VZW, save one & that's because she still works for AT&T. Switching away from VZW would dramatically increase my billable minutes.

Then there is the issue of getting out of town, away from freeways. In these areas, it is VZW, hands down.

One of the reasons Qwest sold their wireless to VZW was that they were running piggybacked on Sprint. Good prices, and a single bill, but very spotty coverage. Qwest Wireless customers were much happier with coverage after the merger.

Then again, as mentioned before, if you're happy where you're at and don't mind the bill, don't switch.

The VZW Premium plans include text, Vcast, VZNav & data. With BlackBerry, you don't need Vcast and you already have data. So with BlackBerry, you can get the basic plan & pay up to $20 for a text plan or you can pay $20 more for the Select plan and have unlimited texting. If you want unlimited texting, it is pretty much a wash. If you don't need unlimited texting, get the basic & add a texting plan.

Now if only they would get in here to prep me. Two days without food & 18 hours without drink has me rather cranky.

04-03-09 11:39 AM

Easy stuff.

1) Faster network

For me, 2-4 are the big reasons. I have over 900 entries in my address book. Of those, I know one is Sprint and that is actually one of the kids' friends. There may be a few more, but I don't call them much.

My entire family is now on VZW, save one & that's because she still works for AT&T. Switching away from VZW would dramatically increase my billable minutes.

Then there is the issue of getting out of town, away from freeways. In these areas, it is VZW, hands down.

One of the reasons Qwest sold their wireless to VZW was that they were running piggybacked on Sprint. Good prices, and a single bill, but very spotty coverage. Qwest Wireless customers were much happier with coverage after the merger.

Then again, as mentioned before, if you're happy where you're at and don't mind the bill, don't switch.

The VZW Premium plans include text, Vcast, VZNav & data. With BlackBerry, you don't need Vcast and you already have data. So with BlackBerry, you can get the basic plan & pay up to $20 for a text plan or you can pay $20 more for the Select plan and have unlimited texting. If you want unlimited texting, it is pretty much a wash. If you don't need unlimited texting, get the basic & add a texting plan.

Now if only they would get in here to prep me. Two days without food & 18 hours without drink has me rather cranky.

two days without food or water? Man that is very unhealthly what in the world are you doing an episode of man vs wild?
    04-03-09 06:46 PM
    two days without food or water? Man that is very unhealthly what in the world are you doing an episode of man vs wild?
    I wish it were that simple (and painless).

Some exploratory surgery & I get to lie here now watching the pretty nurses.

04-03-09 08:12 PM
    Before I became a BB addict, when I had just a plain old cellphone, I was with another company that was going to merge with Verizon. I would have to choose Verizon or go elsewhere. I did not like the Verizon phones and I couldn't afford their plans, so after much searching, I settled on Sprint.

I have a family plan with my son, 1500 shared minutes, unlimited weekend/evening (starting at 6 pm) unlimited text, data and vision for $129/mo and a 25% discount (check and see if your employer is on their discount list).

I had nothing but problems with my other phone, but Sprint customer service was wonderful and spent many hours helping me with things. After 4 phones in 3 months, I decided to give a BB a try and got the 8330 curve for me and my son (they gave it to us as an upgrade, even though we didn't qualify).

I have not had a single problem with my Berry, and I have never had any problems with Sprint, except for about 2 customer service people on the phone, one who had NO idea what she was talking about, but considering that at that time I was calling at least every day (sometimes 2 or 3 times), that is really good.

I'm very happy with my decision to be with Sprint and with my 8330.
    04-03-09 08:50 PM
    Sprint roams on Vzw network so basically you get Vzw coverage for Sprint price

04-03-09 08:54 PM
    Sprint roams on Vzw network so basically you get Vzw coverage for Sprint price

Love this, but remember most roaming agreements are set that the carrier that owns the tower that their customrs get priorty on the tower. This means you may not get data or maybe even not be able to make a call. I would pay less for this.

Now this was told to me by VZW network types
    04-03-09 08:58 PM
    Very rarely do I have problems, even roaming all over the place with Sprint. I know of a few drop zones in the last few months that have all but disappeared.

I'm very pleased with my 8330 on the Now Network, and I've seen enough rants on other carriers to know that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

04-03-09 09:03 PM
    IF you are talking about the Premium plans, BB devices will not work on this. So they tell us

BTW your other post is a great comparison. Great for telling folks the vastly better network that VZW has.

Aye, we're on the 2100 select with 2 BB's. I just noticed strangely only my BB is being hit for the $30. Have to check into how the other one isn't without them adding it on. But anyway...

I just talked with Verizon about another issue and they confirmed you can't do the Premium plan. Score 1 for Sprint? lol
    04-03-09 09:04 PM
    dude, what a fanboy.. can't you at least ATTEMPT to be objective?..

1. faster network
    Total fabrication. this is not a comparison with ATT. the two systems are technically identical

2. greater coverage
    a) i travel VERY extensively and have yet to see this supported in practice, and
    b) who actually cares?.. everyone has free roaming.

3. Better CS?
    yeah, right. was true (perhaps) but no longer. Sprint has made great strides.. and by a quick observation of your own forum..it seems that VZ is just soooo wonderful..lol

4. # customers
    who cares?..

add:
    5) crippled services
    6) more $$

I dont think vz sux dude, but your approach of identifying items that are irrelevant in real worl use of a phone across the country is seemingly self justification....

If i can make calls to anyone i like, anywhere i like, on any network my phone connects to and pay less than you..... then..........

Easy stuff.

1) Faster network

04-04-09 11:32 AM
    dude, what a fanboy.. can't you at least ATTEMPT to be objective?..
    I might the day Sprint actually runs their own network instead of leaching off of others for the vast majority of their traffic.

1. faster network
    Total fabrication. this is not a comparison with ATT. the two systems are technically identical
    Um no, they are not. I see many tower installations where there is colocated equipment for VZW & Sprint. Most of time, within 2500ft, the VZW signal is stronger. Within 3500ft, the VZW signal is MUCH stronger.

Then there is the issue of tower connectivity. 8+% of VZWs towers are connected into the telco backbone by fiber optics and they just signed contracts to expand that to 100% within 5 years. Sprint is at under 0.5% of their network, choosing fiber only when there is no other choice. This includes co-loc towers. So much for the 'Pin Drop" network.

Roaming is nothing when Sprint doesn't have reciprocity with carriers in about 50% of the markets and their soon to be WiMAX reality will take them out of any reciprocity.

A typical Sprint location install uses grade C components, while VZW specifies brand, model & specs - all top flight.

Learn networks before you open your mouth about being identical. I build them for ALL carriers. What is your experience?

2. greater coverage
    a) i travel VERY extensively and have yet to see this supported in practice, and
    b) who actually cares?.. everyone has free roaming.
    Again, see above. I live in an exclusive community that borders the 5th largest city in the United States. I am less than 45 minutes from professional baseball, hockey, football & basketball. The town I live in just blends in with Phoenix & Scottsdale. So waht's the problem? Sprint has no free roaming here. Why do they have no roaming here? Because they have no service reception here. I go out to 'burbs in the SE Valley here & same story. Get off of I-10 or I-40 in NM and same thing. I can take you on a trip easy across this great land of ours & if you're on Sprint, you'll be asking to borrrow my phone a lot. More if you want data.

Did I mention that, in the Prunieville land of Southern California, Sprint runs with HALF the connectivity of either VZW or AT&T? We're not talking about network native towers - we are talking usable towers, whether owned or by agreement.

This might explain why Sprint's call quality rating is at the bottom in CDMA quality tests, reviews and polls.

3. Better CS?
    yeah, right. was true (perhaps) but no longer. Sprint has made great strides.. and by a quick observation of your own forum..it seems that VZ is just soooo wonderful..lol
    Still rated at or near the bottom in all major areas. Of course, some customers are more tolerant of service lapses than others.

Here's now NOT to get good customer service. When your American call center staff looks to be serious about a union staff, close the center down like they did in Sacramento, Phoenix, Seattle, Denver & more. When the costs of operating the remaining centers begins to rise, outsource them, mostly to points in Asia.

Sprint is bleeding red ink. Some analysts say they cannot implement upgrades, much less provide full customer service.

4. # customers
    who cares?..
    Free mobile-tomobile means a lot. Were you unable to read my entire post? Do we need to sit you down and explain it to you on a more elementary (like second grade) level?

add:
    5) crippled services
    6) more $$
    I love those who cry fanboy, then cannot back up their claims, while sounding like they might be a homeless soul Sprint paid to come type their drivel. Name me a 'crippled' service?

I dont think vz sux dude, but your approach of identifying items that are irrelevant in real worl use of a phone across the country is seemingly self justification....
    Interesting, as many people leave Sprint for those exact reasons. Some go to AT&T, while more head to VZW, if their credit allows it. If you stay in your neighborhood and service is good there, fine - as I said, stay where you are at. But don't you think it may be time for your parents to let you cross the street?

If i can make calls to anyone i like, anywhere i like, on any network my phone connects to and pay less than you..... then..........
    Um, no you don't. I pay zero, no matter what network. Mine is paid for by my company, which then gets a write-off for the expenses. Oh, the carriers offer incredible internal engineering discounts on our service, too.

Talk about fanboy - you're so blind you just bopped your head on the monitor trying to read this and fabricate a Sprint-centric comeback.
    04-04-09 12:22 PM
    Yet another priceless respone from the likes of twins.
    04-04-09 01:54 PM
    Not to mention far Superior Customer Service with VZW, but then again I might be a bit bias

this is a funny quote along with verizon's vastly superior network.. considering my friend is always having problems with vzw messing up his bill whenever he goes into a store and i have yet to have a problem with sprint.. also some sprint plans include free roaming (like the family plan i am on) so i get both the sprint and the verizon network for the price i pay for sprint...
    04-05-09 11:36 AM
136 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD