Hey all, I live just south of the Minneapolis/St. Paul in Minnesota, and I'm pretty sure that my coverage is going to be decent regardless of ATT or Verizon as a carrier, but...

Any big differences between the two?

I currently rock a 1st gen Cingular pearl, but am upgrading soon to a ___ (not sure what yet Bold, Tour, Storm 2) and I've been happy with my current ATT service.

Does Verizon have any great advantage regarding BB's over ATT that anyone here is aware of?

Double posting this here and on the ATT forum

thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

-matt
    08-22-09 11:07 PM
    This might be fun

Well it has been tested and known that Verizon has the best internet connection, stability. AT&T is the fastest, but not so reliable. Remember this all depends in your area.

As far as I know their biggest differences are how reliable and fast is their internet service; customer service, which VZW is A+ and the phones. I don't think you can go wrong between the two.

Now you would probably have to wait a couple of months if you want to get the Storm 2

Good luck

Note: I'm basing my answer on Engadget's Results, but looking at BGR results it is a bit different, Sprint is the fastest
    Last edited by Venc; 08-22-09 at 11:23 PM.
    08-22-09 11:17 PM
    In most of the major metro areas throughout the US, the major carriers seem to offer decent coverage up until the city limits. After being with AT&T/Cingular for the past 5 years and now with Verizon, service in the major metro areas is fairly steady & reliable.

I'm sure everyone has some tragic story of poor service in a city or area but after being with most of the major carriers for some time and using them in many major metro areas, they all offer reliable coverage throughout. Now getting coverage past the city limits is a much different story... Good Luck!

I suggest trying the service for a a week or two, they all allow for a trial period of some sort so check them out to see which is best for you.
    08-22-09 11:18 PM
    Currently having ATT, I love the rollover minutes, as I have 5 lines. I don't want to get into too much plan info here, as that kind of info is pretty unbiased and is avail at the local stores. But for ease, does Verizon have any kind of bundle that I could sign up for in order to make my data plan any cheaper?

I saw something about Vcast on BB, is that all BB's or just the Storm? My biggest gripe out ATT is not being able to use ATT's Cellular video on my BB. WTF is up with that? I have the coolest brand of phone in the world, and I can't do what my old Razor could do?

-matt
    08-23-09 01:00 AM
    You CAN use the cellular video. I watch it every night on my Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 01:46 AM
    Well maybe its just my crappy (although I really do love it) pearl that is the problem. Or, perhaps when the latest OS upgrade came out things changed....I dunno, but that does eliminate one pro that Verizon had on my pros vs cons decision scale.
    08-23-09 02:36 AM
    I also love in St. Paul and have been happy with Verizon for years, and would highly recommend it over AT&T.
    At my last job we got really good employee plans with AT&T, so I decided to try it out and got the Bold (still keeping my Verizon plan). Long story short I traded it all back in before my 30 days was up. AT&T's voice service is lacking, and their 3G network is unreliable and the coverage doesn't compare.

And if your looking at the Bold vs. Tour or Storm, some may bring the Wi-Fi into it... But really you have to think about where you're going to be. Will you be in a lot of coffee shops or mcdonalds or where ever Wi-Fi is? Because Verizon's much better 3G coverage in my mind makes up for no Wi-Fi on the current handsets.

My two cents
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 08-23-09 at 04:58 AM.
    08-23-09 04:54 AM
    I would have to agree with the consensus here; it's 6 of one half dozen of another depending on whats important to you... but here's my opinion.
    I have Verizon myself; have for 4 years... the service here is great and I even get signal in the mountains where I technically shouldnt.
    I tried AT&T out when I worked in customer service for em as they had a really good discount plan for their employees. I went to the mountains and lost signal a good 40 miles before reaching my destination when my verizon phone still had strong signal.
    Take it for what its worth. I had my answer.

p.s. since I worked for them... I can say that their customer service practices are lacking as well ( AT&T ) Most of my collegues were very unprofessional and lacking in training on doing the job properly. When I came to work in Verizon Data Tech I learned quickly that Verizon's customer service was a bit more informed and willing to help a customer.
    Depending on who you get anyway; either company can be a crap shoot because there's always going to be the rep that is having a really bad day and not going to give an inch.. or is just generally a ****... theres also going to be the push over reps that give you everything but the kitchen sink.

That got off topic but this IMO
    Last edited by heather.law; 08-23-09 at 07:47 AM. Reason: forgot
    08-23-09 07:25 AM
    I think Verizon is the more stable of the 2 as far as voice/3g in the US. Outside the US may be a different story however since GSM is the global standard. In Puerto Rico for example, AT&T is dominant in both areas and VZ doesnt even do 1XEV. I don't know how all the other US islands go but I would imagine it to be the same anywhere off the mainland
    08-23-09 07:44 AM
    I think Verizon is the more stable of the 2 as far as voice/3g in the US. Outside the US may be a different story however since GSM is the global standard. In Puerto Rico for example, AT&T is dominant in both areas and VZ doesnt even do 1XEV. I don't know how all the other US islands go but I would imagine it to be the same anywhere off the mainland
    Good point... if you plan on doing a fair amount of intl travel.
    08-23-09 07:49 AM
    i guess the world phones with GSM radios will help offset those problems. As for me, my 8330 isn't global so I have those problems I mentioned above.

However, I don't know how well this dual mode thing works, especially in places like PR where I don't think they have an abundance of prepaid sim cards to use since its still covered by CDMA as well...
    08-23-09 08:03 AM
    I am with VZW first off this last time since they took over Alltel in this area.When I go up to MI. Vzw is the only one now that provides me with coverage on my road trip,At&t doesn't they got too many dead spots in WVA. So that kinda made my mind up so far its a better Vzw then my first exp few years ago.

08-23-09 10:24 AM
    Having recently given up my work BB (an 8800 on AT&T) and typing to you now on my personal BB (a 9530 Storm with VZW) from Furano, Hokkaido, Japan this very minute...

I say, AT&T offers few, if any advantages in terms of int'l roaming. Domestically, I found that in metro areas, each had solid coverage, but AT&Ts claims about fewest dropped calls is BS.

Verizon has treated me well. My vote is for VZW. From nearly every aspect, it is a better company in my opinion.

Edit to add: I'm on SoftBank's 3G network. Verizon has the Storm and Tour that are five-band (800/900/1800/1900/2100MHz) and dual mode (CDMA/GSM) I was able to pick up KDDI's CDMA/1X signal here too.

Last edited by Gawain; 08-24-09 at 05:49 AM.
    08-24-09 05:43 AM
    Verizon #1 is very stable and have way more better plans then At&t
    08-25-09 08:36 PM
    i think VZ gets phones later which is frustraing, but the good point is that usually when they do come out, they end up a bit more updated than the ones that came out for AT&T. Just look at the curve as a perfect example
    08-25-09 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD