For the last few years I've been using a phone that was on a Verizon family share plan with my parents. The contract on my line is up and I want to move my phone number off the share plan. I talked to Verizon customer service before preordering the Blackberry Tour and they said that I should order it as a new account and call back when it comes in to port the number over from my parents' account.

I have since received my Tour and when I called customer service to move the number over they are saying they cannot port a number thats already on a Verizon accound and that I will need to send my Tour back and they will then seperate my number from the share plan so I can reorder it under the correct phone number.

Is there any way to do this without me having to send back the phone and reorder it? Seems like there would be a way for them to assign my original phone number to my new line then just remove the old line from the share plan?

Thanks in advance. I searched the forums and couldn't find any similar posts.
    07-15-09 01:22 AM
    You're thinking of "Assumption of Liability". Simply put, all your parents have to do is authorize you to take the line. Then you call in, ask to take the line, go through your credit check, and the contract is officially your problem instead of your parents. You keep the phone for yourself, of course.
    07-15-09 02:16 AM
    You're thinking of "Assumption of Liability". Simply put, all your parents have to do is authorize you to take the line. Then you call in, ask to take the line, go through your credit check, and the contract is officially your problem instead of your parents. You keep the phone for yourself, of course.
    Exactly, this is what I did when I went & got my storm back in November.
    07-15-09 11:33 AM
    the only problem is that, when he goes to cancel that new number, they will make him return the phone.

The best way around this, is go to the store, see a customer service rep, and thoroughly explain the situation. Tell them that you would like to keep your tour but put it on the old number, instead of the new one, and see if they can bypass policy, because you have customized your phone.

You want to stay calm, and let that rep make a judgement call, and ask if possible if there is a manager that can give them permission, so the strong arm of hr doesnt reign down on them.

Good Luck, hopefully you get everything taken care of.
    07-15-09 12:28 PM
    Yeah it would suck to have to send back your phone. I recommend(cuz this worked for me before when cust's use like their brothers' upgrade is you activate the phone on that one account that you ordered it for then move it over to the next one. Since its the same number you will need to go in and set up a brand new account for yourself and move the phone over to your new one along with the phone #. I would try a store first.
    07-15-09 12:31 PM
    Went to the local Verizon store and they also said I'd have to send the phone back and then do the whole "assumption of liability" thing. Hopefully they will process my refund as soon as they get the phone so I can reorder it. *Sigh
    07-15-09 04:06 PM
    I don't understand why you have to send the phone back.

When my brother moved from my parents' plan to mine, Verizon had him upgrade his phone 1st under my parents plan then I called and did the assumption of liability to move him to my plan. He kept his new phone, the omnia, his number and all was fine and normal.

It should be a simple process.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 07:46 PM
    I don't understand why you have to send the phone back.

When my brother moved from my parents' plan to mine, Verizon had him upgrade his phone 1st under my parents plan then I called and did the assumption of liability to move him to my plan. He kept his new phone, the omnia, his number and all was fine and normal.

It should be a simple process.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    its because your brother did the upgrade first.

he received a new line of service, so unless he wanted two phone numbers, there should have been no reason to open a new line for him.

sounds like someone just wanted a commission, or a multiplier, and just will take the deact later
    07-15-09 08:31 PM
    Basically you got screwed in activating a new line of service, the assumption of liability I used to have done in about ten minutes. If the previous line was eligible for an upgrade all that was needed was to assume the line, upgrade the phone. Someone was looking for a new line commision. Definitely watch leaving a vzw store as they will tack on extra data stuff to your account without you even knowing. It is in their quota. It's one of the biggest things for them. Sucks you had to send the tour back but again if the old line is eligible then you should go and get it asap.
    07-15-09 08:42 PM
    Anyone know how long it takes them to process a return and refund the cost of the phone once they receive it? One Verizon rep told me about three days from when they get the phone. Another said it could take one billing cycle!?! Can't imagine it taking that long. The phone was never even activated.
    07-15-09 09:15 PM
    poly's right i did this 4 months ago, I was on my moms plan and just switched to my own.
    07-15-09 09:20 PM
    Anyone know how long it takes them to process a return and refund the cost of the phone once they receive it? One Verizon rep told me about three days from when they get the phone. Another said it could take one billing cycle!?! Can't imagine it taking that long. The phone was never even activated.

Shouldn't take a full bill cycle. Should take three days at most once they receive the phone. You can track the package since most go back through fedex.
    07-16-09 06:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD