08-05-09 02:27 AM
27 12
tools
    05-13-09 11:43 AM
    It is and it isn't - it is, because it will make for easier network interchangablility, even though with LTE, it is unnecessary. It was just recently that the decision was made to use SIMs. It isn't, because it is one more way you can be tracked. The conspiracy/New World Order theorists, as well as pre/post-millenialists (often all the same people) will tell you to fear the smart card and the RFID tag.

I am a realist, not a theorist, and I am a preterist, not a millenialist - still, I have concerns about these things. There are worries based in reality regarding smart cards, especially in this modern world where people are allowing governmental power grabs. SIMs, coupled with two-way mobile communications The RFID issue is mostly trumped up, though.

It also isn't, because I originally predicted no SIMs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 02:51 PM
    I just recently read that SIM cards wont be used, so this is a welcome change. Im also stoked that Verizon isnt going to use BREW based SIM cards, lol.
    05-13-09 03:05 PM
    I read that in order to use a VZW SIM card that you have to submit a blood sample so that they can trace lost/stolen SIMs based on DNA.
    05-13-09 03:10 PM
    i think it will be good for phone interchangeability, which is the only advantage i see with using GSM. Phone thefts on the other hand may go up for Verizon users due to the same fact that "all you have to do is switch the sim card". I guess there are plus and minuses.
    05-13-09 04:40 PM
    i think it will be good for phone interchangeability, which is the only advantage i see with using GSM. Phone thefts on the other hand may go up for Verizon users due to the same fact that "all you have to do is switch the sim card". I guess there are plus and minuses.
    Thats exactly what I'm thinking. I've never really cared for the whole SIM thing, but if LTE uses SIM I'm all for it.
    05-13-09 04:43 PM
    Thats exactly what I'm thinking. I've never really cared for the whole SIM thing, but if LTE uses SIM I'm all for it.
    To the average customer it won't matter to them if they use sim card or not. To the phone junkie like me that likes to change phone all the time its big and exciting news that we can have that much freedom on Verizons network.

05-13-09 04:52 PM
    To the average customer it won't matter to them if they use sim card or not. To the phone junkie like me that likes to change phone all the time its big and exciting news that we can have that much freedom on Verizons network.

Oh, okay. I always have 1 phone and stick with it. But I see what you're saying. Its much easier to switch the phone yourself than have to call VZW and go through that whole process. I got cha!
    05-13-09 04:57 PM

I'm with ya brotha. This will be great news. I'm a phone junkie so. Like buying new phones but moat are gsm now with Verizon having sim card lot more phones will be available. Like the nokia n97.

05-13-09 07:07 PM
    I don't understand though - don't I have a SIM card now? Is it useless right now unless I travel overseas I hear?
    05-13-09 10:03 PM
    I don't understand though - don't I have a SIM card now? Is it useless right now unless I travel overseas I hear?
    You do with Storm & 8830WE, as they are also usable on GSM networks. GSM requires a SIM.

It isn't fully useless domestically - but you'd need a card for AT&T or T-Mobile.

05-13-09 10:07 PM
    I suspect the whole "java sim card" thing might have to do with adding applications that can be run from the sim card. I know Microsoft was recently digging into such things.

As for the lost/stolen list, I have to wonder if they will still implement it somehow. Maybe that's what the whole java sim card thing is about. Or maybe a huge multi-carrier lost/stolen list?
    05-14-09 01:38 AM
    Verizon Wireless Names More LTE Partners
    Wednesday, 6:59 AM by Eric M. Zeman

Today Verizon Wireless added several new companies to its mix of Long Term Evolution technology partners. First, Verizon selected Giesecke & Devrient to provide Java-based SIM cards, which will help Verizon provide new LTE-based data services. Verizon also picked Gemalto to provide an over-the-air platform and LTE Universal Integrated Circuit Card (UICC), which will help Verizon Wireless deliver a more secure and more reliable multimedia data connection, provide global roaming and the ability to remotely add new UICC card applications.
    05-15-09 09:46 AM
    a sim card seems more logical then logging into a website and changing your esn to change devices...

I think its a smart move.
    05-15-09 04:39 PM
    now a days, VZW doesn't require speaking to a rep to change equipment. you can do it from a PC rather easily, or you can just dial *228, send, option 3 on the new device (they have to use the same plan, so blackberry to blackberry, vcast phone to vcast phone, etc...can't go from an enV to a storm back to a V3M or something like that.)

and SIM cards are a security liability, all of the "cloning" issues are mostly GSM based, very rarely can someone clone CDMA...unless LTE network security measures address those directly, the SIM is a bad move.
    05-15-09 04:54 PM
    This is a smart move. No more longing into myvzw.com to swap phones and the calling customer service to complete the programming.
    05-15-09 04:56 PM
    I've always been a fan of the SIM card. It allowed end users to easily transfer their account and phonebook to a different phone. I am talking about GSM phones, but if the phone didn't have a subsidy lock, you could use it wherever you wanted.
    05-15-09 04:56 PM
    the "*228, send, option 3" function i was describing works amazingly well. as long as you're going beteen two phones that use the same data plan and features, etc...
    05-15-09 05:11 PM
    Stolen phones and cloned cards I can see it coming.

05-15-09 06:54 PM
    i wonder if i can choose NOT to use the SIM card? and just opt for onboard programming? i don't swap devices that often so it's no issue to me. and i'll be with VZW until someone can compete with network AND customer service...i could care less how many devices a carrier offers, i'm only gonna pick one anyway, and generally speaking its gonna be an advanced device, and there aren't any out there that i want that AREN'T on VZW...
    05-15-09 07:00 PM
    i wonder if i can choose NOT to use the SIM card? and just opt for onboard programming? i don't swap devices that often so it's no issue to me. and i'll be with VZW until someone can compete with network AND customer service...i could care less how many devices a carrier offers, i'm only gonna pick one anyway, and generally speaking its gonna be an advanced device, and there aren't any out there that i want that AREN'T on VZW...
    According to the article, you may nothave choice when LTE is full up and running
    05-15-09 07:32 PM
    Im all good for sim cards as long as the LTE network is going to be as fast as they say it will be. But also they can easily be stolen...
    05-15-09 07:52 PM
    According to the article, you may not have choice when LTE is full up and running
    well then God help us all... "X"

they need a steven segal or arnold emoticon here

for now "X" = "epic tragic hero scowl"
    05-15-09 07:57 PM
    Sorry, I realize this is an old thread, but I just stumbled cross this from google. I just wanted to note that this is absolute non-sense; it's completely impossible to clone a 3rd generation SIM card, and if your carrier is using anything older than that, that's definitely a problem with your carrier, not the standard. GSM was hindered early on significantly because it *is* a world standard, and some governments weren't ok with certain levels of encryption - on anything. But, in short, it's impossible to clone newer SIM cards. Also, I believe these SIMs that Verizon is ordering are actually UICCs, which will be the first true cross-network subscriber IDs. The simple fact of the matter is that the removable identity module is a better idea, because when I land in <insert any given country here>, I am not going to have the option of going on a website and punching in my ESN number. However, I can go to the nearest tobacco store and buy a prepaid SIM and flip it into my phone. It's also not feasible to rapidly change between accounts using an assigned number system.
    08-04-09 11:28 PM
    Sorry, I realize this is an old thread, but I just stumbled cross this from google. I just wanted to note that this is absolute non-sense; it's completely impossible to clone a 3rd generation SIM card, and if your carrier is using anything older than that, that's definitely a problem with your carrier, not the standard. GSM was hindered early on significantly because it *is* a world standard, and some governments weren't ok with certain levels of encryption - on anything. But, in short, it's impossible to clone newer SIM cards.
    Interesting, since we do it in our workshops all the time for diagnostics purposes. It is more difficult, but not impossible - and not out of reach of the determined hacker.

The rest of what you said is pretty much dead-on, though.

08-05-09 12:42 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD