I am thinking about using my upgrade which has been due since August. I think that I might just on the $99 Z30 on Amazon (not sure that would make a difference), but I don't want to lose my unlimited data. However, I am not the primary account holder nor am I an account administrator so I don't have any power as far as the account goes. So my question is: would I still lose the unlimited data with my upgrade even though I'm not the account holder? My guess would be no but I just want to check and make sure before I go and upgrade. Thanks in advance.
    12-09-13 09:27 PM
    Yes you would lose your unlimited. The only way to keep unlimited is to bring your own device or pay full retail. If you use an upgrade then you must accept one of the current plans. The unlimited plans are gone and are only available if you are grandfathered in.
    Last edited by pkcable; 12-09-13 at 11:31 PM.
    12-09-13 09:32 PM
    If you are not the account holder or an account manager you cannot upgrade at a discounted price. Period.

You can only pay full retail I'm tour scenario.

A discounted upgrade will cause you to lose unlimited. You have no ability to upgrade at discounted pricing at your current account user status.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 09:50 PM
    If you are not the account holder or an account manager you cannot upgrade at a discounted price. Period.

You can only pay full retail I'm tour scenario.

A discounted upgrade will cause you to lose unlimited. You have no ability to upgrade at discounted pricing at your current account user status.

Posted via CB10

I can upgrade, I just need the last 4 digits of the account holder's SSI (and of course the password which I know).
    12-09-13 09:55 PM
    I can upgrade, I just need the last 4 digits of the account holder's SSI (and of course the password which I know).
    You may be able to if you know that information, but doing so is against Verizon terms of service and NOT authorized.

You are only authorized to upgrade and line at a discounted rate if you are an account manager or account holder.

If you know that information, the account holder should have you listed as an account manager.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 01:16 AM
    Yes you would lose your unlimited. The only way to keep unlimited is to bring your own device or pay full retail. If you use an upgrade then you must accept one of the current plans. The unlimited plans are gone and are only available if you are grandfathered in.
    Exactly- I was offered a VZWMAX 6G package for my upgrade (and loss of unlimited). I was concerned about throttling once over 2.5G, but I have never gone over 2G anyway, so I gave it up.
    12-16-13 04:38 PM
    There is still one loophole that my daughter recently used. She used my wife's upgrade to get a subsidized Q10. Essentially my wife got the the Q10 upgrade, activated the phone for a day, then reactivated her phone and gave the Q10 to my daughter. My daughter's upgrade can't be used because that triggers the plan change on her line. Same as mine. No one can use my upgrade because the upgrade is tied to the line and if used automatically goes to a tiered data plan.

What I did today was buy a Z30 at retail but on an installment plan that they don't advertise but is available. You can't do it online but must be processed at a VZW Corp store. Unlike the Edge program which breaks your payments over 24months and loses your unlimited, paying in installments over 12 months keeps your unlimited because it is a standard installment purchase. Edge is a plan and puts you on a tiered data plan.

OP, there is no way to use your upgrade without losing your unlimited. Sorry. Supply your own phone, buy retail outright or on installment.
    01-21-14 12:41 AM
    There is still one loophole that my daughter recently used. She used my wife's upgrade to get a subsidized Q10. Essentially my wife got the the Q10 upgrade, activated the phone for a day, then reactivated her phone and gave the Q10 to my daughter. My daughter's upgrade can't be used because that triggers the plan change on her line. Same as mine. No one can use my upgrade because the upgrade is tied to the line and if used automatically goes to a tiered data plan.

What I did today was buy a Z30 at retail but on an installment plan that they don't advertise but is available. You can't do it online but must be processed at a VZW Corp store. Unlike the Edge program which breaks your payments over 24months and loses your unlimited, paying in installments over 12 months keeps your unlimited because it is a standard installment purchase. Edge is a plan and puts you on a tiered data plan.

OP, there is no way to use your upgrade without losing your unlimited. Sorry. Supply your own phone, buy retail outright or on installment.
    Did you have any issues inquiring about the payment plan, or did the rep already know about it? Last time I was in there all that the rep mentioned was to buy at full retail, drop to a 2GB plan, buy used, or switch to the edge program. I've seen the installment plan mentioned a few times in various places recently.
    01-21-14 01:52 AM
    If you've been with them for a while, ask them about the $60 loyalty plan...unlimited talk and text + 2gb data...lock into that and you can still get discount upgrades.
    I haven't given up my unlimited yet, but, saving 240 a year is making me reconsider...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-23-14 01:19 PM
    Did you have any issues inquiring about the payment plan, or did the rep already know about it? Last time I was in there all that the rep mentioned was to buy at full retail, drop to a 2GB plan, buy used, or switch to the edge program. I've seen the installment plan mentioned a few times in various places recently.
    Yes I did have a little bit of initial problems with the store reps as they were either unaware of it or reluctant to acknowledge it. Tell them you know it's available and verified it by phone with VZW and we're told it had to be processed in the store. Do not back down. Regardless, they checked into it and were very helpful in setting me up, but I did keep reminding them through the process to continually check my unlimited status to ensure it wasn't changed. Regardless of what they tell you, VZW assured me that the installment program had no effect on plans or accounts. It is a retail purchase on installments only. Period. It's been a couple of weeks and our most recent bill still shows my unlimited and my month-to-month plan.
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    02-01-14 06:20 PM