I am new to this site and have been reading a lot about Blackberrys and Verizon's date plans. This Site is great! I am due for a new every two and want to upgrade to the new pearl (currently have Razr)

I currently have a $39.99 450 min $5 unlimited in messaging plus 50 additional messages. When I go to upgrade on-line the best pricing I can get is $79.99/month for 450 min plus unlimited data. I can get the Pearl for $99 ($100 off for New Every 2 and $100 off for switching to a data plan).

Questions:

1.) Sound like a Good deal? Are there other 3rd party sites I can get the phone cheaper?
    2.) I saw quite a few posts regarding some plan codes (ie 73618)
    3.) BIS or BES? Does this matter? Do I have a choice? I planning on using the phone with Lotus Notes email address at work.

Thanks!
    12-08-07 05:47 PM
    Newbie, I was in a similar boat, I switched from a Treo to the Pearl and enjoy the device very much. As for the plans, it depends upon what works best for you. The code you had referred to, 73618, is the code for the personal BB data add-on plan which runs $29.99. This would provide you with unlimited Internet access and email, up to 10 personal email accounts.

BIS - BlackBerry Internet Service - Generally personal use
    BES - BlackBerry Enterprise Service - Usually corporate use

Being the uber-geek that I am, I use both accounts. BES for work wireless sync of email, calender, memo pad, and tasks on my sponsored BB and BIS for my personal BB. Yeah I know, in too deep, anyway, I use BIS for my personal email, web surfing and BB messenger.

What can I say, I prefer maintain the separation between church and state. At anyrate, which ever works best for your situation to include text messaging. I hope this helps!

- E
    12-09-07 10:28 AM
    Newbie...I had the $29.99 plan because I already had a $89 a month 1400 minutes plan. I believe $79.99 is the cut-off for the $29.99 unlimited plan, hence the rather large increase in your cost. As far as the price of the phone goes I don't think you can get much better...I got your cost PLUS an addtional $50 mail-in rebate I found in my box when it arrived! I just use BIS since I do not get email from my office.

This is my first BB and I love it and can't see me using another phone after this. Good Luck
    12-09-07 10:51 AM
    I don't use Lotus Notes but this is my understanding for any corporate email system that's not IMAP or POP. You have to use BES. Your corporation must setup a BES server on their end as well or you have to find BES hosting. You can also just forward your Lotus Notes mail to your BIS blackberry email account if you want. Or use the software that you install on your PC to send your Lotus Notes email to your BIS account (Mail redirector if I recall)

BES is nice if you want to get sync your calendar / tasks / address book to Notes. But it might require some work from your IT guy at work to support your blackberry (if they already don't)
    Last edited by archer823; 12-12-07 at 06:54 AM.
    12-12-07 06:44 AM
    Thanks for everyone's help. Our IT department does service Lotus Notes, so it shouldn't be a problem. One other question:

Is there a way to shut off just the email function on the Blackberrys? The new Pearl will also serve as my only phone and I could see my wife getting upset if I look at it every time I get an email at night. I won't be able to shut it completely off b/c it will also be my primary phone.

Thanks again!
    12-12-07 11:12 AM
    Not really sure if there is a quick fix, but one way you might be able to do it is edit a profile so that the phone rings and you get silent email alerts.
    Then use that profile at home and a different one for work.
    12-12-07 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD