I just updated my Verizon network to v5.0.0.508 and I no longer have the key-lock icon on my main screen, i checked hidden icons and it was not there. Now apparently the only way I can lock my screen is by holding the A key, which puts it in standby mode and not locked.

Any solutions on how to get it to lock and not go to sleep?

Thanks!
    03-25-10 09:54 AM
    You could always go back to an older OS that had the feature. It seems like the newer OS's dont have the keyboard lock icon. I think you can push and hold the play button on the top, and that will put in in stand by as well, but I'm not sure on that as I only had the 8530 for a few weeks.
    03-25-10 09:59 AM
    my friend is having the same problem, he asked me if I could figure it out. are there any 3rd party lock programs?
    03-25-10 02:55 PM
    Is it in another folder?
    03-25-10 03:15 PM
    I just went to 5.0.0.591 and there is no icon either, on the tour I just hit the top lock/unlock key.

Maybe change one of your conv keys?
    03-25-10 03:34 PM
    Why not just use the K button...I usually hide the keylock anyway
    03-27-10 05:59 PM
    I think holding the mute key is the new way to do it. I also heard if you enable a password, the key icon will come back, but obviously you have to use a password with that one.
    03-27-10 10:27 PM
    I think holding the mute key is the new way to do it. I also heard if you enable a password, the key icon will come back, but obviously you have to use a password with that one.

The quote above is correct for unlocking the keypad on the 8530. You lock the keypad with the A key which also puts the phone in standby mode. Then you unlock the phone by pressing the mute key wherever that key is on your phone. I have no idea if you enable a password that you can lock the phone as you did before the update. I am cool with the new way of locking the keypad. It's too bad we were not told in advance that the update would change this feature.

They say change is good

I hope this info helps someone experiencing the same thing.
    03-28-10 10:17 AM
    So does the K button no longer work? I have an 8330...is that the difference?
    03-28-10 03:39 PM
    I hate that lock is gone. It was nice to lock the keypad without looking because the conv key is elevated on the 8530. When you assign it as key lock, you can reach into your pocket/bag/purse without pulling the bberry out to make sure you aren't assigning a speed dial or calling one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by daynite; 03-29-10 at 09:33 AM.
    03-29-10 09:17 AM
    Coworker may go back to the previous curve2 os because last week's update got rid of this feature....
    03-29-10 08:30 PM
    My problem with the update is once you lock the phone and place it into the holster and then take it out of the holster, the phone is unlock. Anyone else run into this problem. I did the update late last night and took a little over one hour.
    03-30-10 07:26 AM
    So does the K button no longer work? I have an 8330...is that the difference?
    On the OS 5 for the Tour, the 'K' key will perform a password lock. The lock key at the top of the phone will perform a key lock.
    03-30-10 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD