09-19-10 10:45 PM
2,047 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    So I guess nobody in the Southeast with Sprint has tried this

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-10 11:32 AM
    So I guess nobody in the Southeast with Sprint has tried this

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ummm, last time I read, this was only VZW doing this, not Sprint.
    06-18-10 11:33 AM
    Anybody in the Southeast had luck with this?
    Cleveland Tennessee here, between Knoxville and Chattanooga pretty much south east, and no problem. My Bold will be here Monday.
    06-18-10 11:36 AM
    being that you are in NJ...this is promising news for me. my girls tour which i purchased for her (on my account) had had the trackball issue since day one. i just never said anything about it. did you call 611 or the 800 customer service line?

QUESTION: when i call up...are they going to be able to see what OS i have on the device? i currently have a hybrid loaded ever since the browser click issue appeared. i plan on telling them i installed the new os in hopes of it being fixed...but dont want them to see i am using a non-authorized VzW OS...
    Red Bank, huh? Hello, neighbor. I'm in Rumson and my Bold is on it's way. Call 1-800-922-0204 from a landline or 611 from another Verizon phone for Customer Service. They don't like you to be on the phone you're having problems with so they can walk you through troubleshooting.

They can't see what OS you're running but update your old phone with the new OS before you send it back. Verizon instructs you to wipe your memory of any personal information before sending your old phone back anyways.
    06-18-10 11:37 AM
    On phone with them now. Worked like a charm. Overnight phone to me and it doesn't cost me a dime....Thanks for everyone's input on this. Loved the tour but missed my wifi capability and want the track pad.
    **** yes!!!!!!! Tour out of stock and I'm getting a Bold.......reported side convenience key did not work which is true, even after wipes, OS upgrades, etc. Suh-weet! I'm in Louisville, KY
    Last edited by berryg1; 06-18-10 at 11:38 AM. Reason: woot!
    Bold arriving on Tuesday. Yay!

Quick other questions since I am thinking about it here, rather than search.

Am I thinking about the order of steps when it arrives correctly:

1) Do a backup, both data and apps.
    2) To be safe, do a copy/backup of my SD card to my PC
    3) Log onto VZW and use the activate phone option
    4) Do a *228 function on the new phone
    5) Log onto the verizon BIS and do a change phone option
    6) Then do my Device Switch in DTM and go from there.........
    7) Once sure that everything is ok (and wait a day or two to do so), then do a security wipe on the old phone.........

Do I have this right?
    06-18-10 11:44 AM
    i just called back to reconfirm a bold is actually coming.... thankkk goodddd!! finally verizon you have been nice to me. no more tour, no more horrible trackball. its almost time to say goodbye to these forums and head on over to the bold forum
    06-18-10 11:45 AM
    Moderators should close this thread encouraging people to commit fraud!!!!!!!
    You know what was even a bigger fraud than this? Releasing the got dam tour in the first place!!! If you've got the balls to call and get a bold, then go get it. If not, shut your mouth and go sit on a ice and cool your hemmys...I bet you voted for obama too thinking he'd solve all problems?

To me this is just an admission by RIM and VZW that the Tour is POS and never should've been released to begin with.
    06-18-10 11:46 AM
    Well, I'm thinking about giving it a try. I'm on my 4th Tour. This one actually works fairly well, but the headphone jack is screwy. Never really worried about it since I don't really use it, but I'm thinking it might be a good excuse to try for the Bold.

Anybody else use the headphone jack problem? Don't really wanna go through the hassle if I don't think theres a good chance for a 9650
    06-18-10 11:47 AM
    just to add..........it works.......... my bold will be here monday.........
    06-18-10 11:48 AM
    Here is the funny part: They will take care of me for the trackball, but when my Bluetooth radio wouldn't turn on last week, they didn't care. Yep, I guess all it took was everyone to show the phone needed to be switched out
    06-18-10 11:50 AM
    She is checking for when it might be in stock. zzzzzzzzzzzzz....

06-18-10 11:51 AM
    just called - csr simply asked if I've done a hard reset and then immediately offered to send a replacement tour - after taking address, etc., she checked inventory and offered the bold.
    06-18-10 11:53 AM
    This doesn't work. Don't try. Save yourself the time and effort.
    06-18-10 11:56 AM
    Well, I'm thinking about giving it a try. I'm on my 4th Tour. This one actually works fairly well, but the headphone jack is screwy. Never really worried about it since I don't really use it, but I'm thinking it might be a good excuse to try for the Bold.

Anybody else use the headphone jack problem? Don't really wanna go through the hassle if I don't think theres a good chance for a 9650
    I got the Tour replaced (with another Tour last week) because of the audio jack problem. It seems to be quite common ON THE 9630's, and completely something they will replace for.
    06-18-10 11:56 AM
    This doesn't work. Don't try. Save yourself the time and effort.
    It works cuz I got it taken care of already. You may have to call 2 or 3 times though
    06-18-10 11:57 AM
    CSR asked if I went to the store to have them test it. Umm...all the other 6 times I called to have my previous Tours replaced, I never had to go to the store. CSR put me on hold, came back and asked if I wanted to replace both Tours on my account with Bold 9650 so I dont have anymore trackball problems on both my Tours. So 2 Tours on my account are getting 2 Bold replacements shipped overnight.
    06-18-10 11:58 AM
    Bold arriving on Tuesday. Yay!

Quick other questions since I am thinking about it here, rather than search.

7) Once sure that everything is ok (and wait a day or two to do so), then do a security wipe on the old phone.........

Do I have this right?
    Yep, that sounds about right. You do not have to return your Tour's SD card, battery cover or battery. Just move your SD to the Bold.

All they want returned is the device itself.
    Last edited by plkcable; 06-18-10 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typos
    She is checking for when it might be in stock. zzzzzzzzzzzzz....

No thanks. My 1yr warranty is up in August. I will try again later to see if I can get a Bold sent.

--M

I don't want to wait!! What was I thinking? I called back and the CSR got me a BOLD on the way. Should be here Tuesday before 7pm. Hmmm I was reading some posts while waiting and decided to ask for next day overnight. CSR said absolutely and it will be here Monday before 3pm and waived the shipping fee. The CSR did not even see that I had call an hour earlier. I am so happy that VZW has helped me out on this phone. It has been a pain that I decided to live with. Until now. Thanks to all that have bitched and moaned about this. Every once and a while the squeeky wheel is heard. --M

Last edited by mldenniscb; 06-18-10 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Adding more info.

Do I have this right?
    You can skip step 3.

1) Back up data however way you want.
    2) Transfer VZW card, SD card, and battery then power on the Bold.
    3) Call *228 from the Bold and hit 1 then enter your 10 digit phone number to activate.
    4) Do the Device Switch if you have 2 Micro USB cables or just Restore.
    5) Do a security wipe after a few days then ship it back.
    06-18-10 12:00 PM
    Yep, that sounds about right. You do not have to return your Tour's SD card, battery cover or battery. Just move your SD to the Bold.

All they want is the device it self.
    Thanks. I knew that. It just didn't come across that way.

If I activate online, do I get hit with an activation fee? Is it better, then, to call them to activate it?
    06-18-10 12:00 PM
    call again... my lady on the phone said i would be getting a tour, and she said it up until the end, however at the last moment she said we are sending you out a bold 9650.. i do believe verizon is really replacing all of these tours with bolds (they must have lost so much money on this phone with all of the problems)
    06-18-10 12:02 PM
    Thanks. I knew that. It just didn't come across that way.

If I activate online, do I get hit with an activation fee? Is it better, then, to call them to activate it?
    Your phone # has already been activated (which is what the charge is for). There is no fee for switching phones.
    If you are referring to the handful of posts encouraging fraud, then yes, they should be deleted. No reason to close this thread. Not everyone here is trying to screw Verizon. I personally am on my fourth 9630. I got it in December and I've been dealing with trackball problems ever since. Nothing major, but issues still persist. After trying other refurbished devices, I finally realized I would never come across the perfect device...until now. After seeing this thread I can finally have a device without the same frustrating problem. I mean, even the rep I spoke to last night was giddy to hand me a Bold after I explained my issues. EVEN SHE told me she was on her fourth 9630.

Bottom line, don't make assumptions.
    I second all of this. This is why I started the thread. There are so many of us that have endured using this obviously flawed device long enough. I have gone through 4 myself, and my wife and son have gone through 3 each. That is TEN Tours. That is outrageous. Yes, some are going to abuse this, and the Bold is an upgrade, but in my eyes, it is a Blackberry that finally works, and THAT is what I pay my Verizon bill every month for.
2,047 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD