8530 is a downgrade from the Tour, take the Tour. I've had 3 8530's in 4 months....POS...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 01:10 PM
    I would gladly accept a Tour without a crappy trackball. My problem with this whole situation is I was told I would be recieving a Bold and didn't.
    07-11-10 03:19 PM
    I would gladly accept a Tour without a crappy trackball. My problem with this whole situation is I was told I would be recieving a Bold and didn't.
    Take the replacement Tour as that is all they actually owe you per company policy. If you are still unhappy, vote with your wallet and go to Sprint or ATT.
    07-13-10 02:50 PM
    i posted on another blog but heres my story... ive had a few tours in the past 6 months and had nothing but problems. so basically i asked what can you do for me? i was told i could either 1. get a refurbished tour 2. get a refurbished bold or 3. upgrade now when my date isnt until next year.... well needless to say i asked for a bold. they accidently shipped me another tour, and now they are overnighting a brand new bold, not refurbished. i was told that because i was on my 4th one that i could switch. i dont know if that is true with all cases... i think they key is being nice to the tech, dont argue or yell... ive had legit issues with all my tours and cannot wait to get a new phone... thank you verizon...
    07-14-10 03:16 AM
    Last night I just got #4 at VZW's nudging. (Didn't want to keep on trying, but rep said try this one and we'll look at other options then.) The box for it has multiple green dot stickers on it and is unsealed just like #3 was. (Circular tape broken and shrink wrap over phone torn.) Maybe they're just immediately recycling them at this point, hoping someone will get lucky and get a 'good' Tour that was returned for a Bold? Haven't fired #4 up yet, but #3 that came in a box with broken seals had a wicked bad trackball.

Agree about not arguing and yelling. It's completely counterproductive and tho CS is first in the line of fire, it's certainly not their fault if a product is defective. I worked CS during college years and swore never again, dealing with the public has its rewarding moments but it can be very brutal.
    07-14-10 07:46 AM
    Update on my replacement. When I opened the box I found a FRU Tour with another faulty trackball. Called in to replace with another unit and asked what happened to the replacement Bold. The lady I talked to had an attitude about the whole thing and basically told me that she wasn't going to discuss what another agent may or may not have told me and that if I wanted a replacement, I would have to go into a local store and have a tech look at it. After I got off the phone I emailed customer service to complain about being told I would recieve a Bold and then getting a Tour (in my mind being lied to), then to be treated the way I was from the second agent (made to feel like I was lying about the trackball problems and trying to get a free upgrade). The email I recieved stated that they could offer me Curve 8530 (in my mind a downgrade) or he could move my date up (by 4 days) from my annual upgrade and I could use it to get a new phone. I will update in a couple of days for the final results.
    Same thing happened to me. My wife has been through 4 tours. Was told a supervisor would call , never did. Talked to several reps and nothing.
    07-14-10 01:58 PM
    tours are back instock, but very low as of last friday.

i had my tour exchanged and i got another tour.
    07-14-10 05:20 PM
    i posted on another blog but heres my story... ive had a few tours in the past 6 months and had nothing but problems. so basically i asked what can you do for me? i was told i could either 1. get a refurbished tour 2. get a refurbished bold or 3. upgrade now when my date isnt until next year.... well needless to say i asked for a bold. they accidently shipped me another tour, and now they are overnighting a brand new bold, not refurbished. i was told that because i was on my 4th one that i could switch. i dont know if that is true with all cases... i think they key is being nice to the tech, dont argue or yell... ive had legit issues with all my tours and cannot wait to get a new phone... thank you verizon...
    3 defective devices in a certain time period warrants a new device of the same or usually there is 1 different option that is extrememly similar in some way. (IE, if curve was bad they may option the tour as a replacement)

my tour came in with a broken box seal, it seems to work great so far.
    07-14-10 05:23 PM
    Got another phone call from VXW yesterday, only to be told again that they would not ship me the Bold that I was told I would be recieving and could only offer me a Curve 8530. Kind of dissappointed with this result, but what can I do.
    tell them you want a refund of the purchase price of your tour to what a new curve cost. i know that curve is a lot cheaper than a tour is.

again, i was told id get a bold if tours were out of stock and last friday they were very low on inventory. so as for today i dont know but i was told i would get a bold if i had a bad tour.
    07-14-10 05:35 PM
    All the ''Bold replaces Tour'' talk almost makes me wish my Tour was malfunctioning.
    any device can be malfunctioning. they dont verify it. my tour was having a problem with the lock button not working right and it literally took over 7 minutes for it to boot...if it would reboot at all. i did have a legit issue, and i hate getting refurb equipment because it usually sucks, but i called up, said these are my issues and i need a replacement device. they didnt walk me thru it or anything. i did say it has been an ongoing issue for a while but the past 2 weeks its been way worse than usual and im afraid its not gonna last much longer. i was on the phone 10 minutes and had a replacement phone on the way.

can anyone confirm if the warantys on frus are 90 days still?

if so, and out of your first year, just have your device replaced every 90 days until upgrade time!
    07-14-10 05:38 PM
    I just got an FRU bold today, and yes they still have the 90 day warranty on them. Its either 90 days, or the rest of you 1 year warranty, which ever is longer.
    07-14-10 06:55 PM
    Wow, this thread is approaching 100,000 views. Amazing.
    07-15-10 10:25 AM
    Umm I called on Tuesday to get a replacement and they sent me a Tour ugghh
    07-15-10 01:01 PM
    I fired up Tour FRU #4 this morning, trackball is jumping lines and trying to stick. I'd be so happy to get one that works!
    07-15-10 01:11 PM
    Has any one just tried cleaning the trackball? My trackball used to stick, I'd clean it and it would work great. I did that once a month.

07-15-10 01:15 PM
    Has any one just tried cleaning the trackball? My trackball used to stick, I'd clean it and it would work great. I did that once a month.

I tried everything when I had mine and nothing really worked. Alcohol, running it on paper, the paper strip under the ball, everything. At best Id get a day or two and back to the same old tricks. Only thing I had any luck with was canned air. I blew it into the trackball and pushed down on it to try and get inside as best I could and it was good for probably nearly month before it started acting up again. So give that a try.
    07-15-10 04:42 PM
    The multi-FRU policy was discontinued in April.
    07-16-10 02:48 AM
    loki 993
    I'm with you. There's always one in every crowd though. Some people will never be pleased. I agree with you and was stunned myself that anyone would write that much less claim to have said those things. Have a nice weekend.
    07-17-10 02:29 AM
    If you were part of "BoldGate", but got the replacement 9650 phone only, and would like the box and ALL accessories that usually come with it, go ahead and im me.

Thanks.

EDIT: Item given away already.
    Last edited by stubbornswiss; 07-18-10 at 09:57 PM.
    07-18-10 12:58 PM
    If you were part of "BoldGate", but got the replacement 9650 phone only, and would like the box and ALL accessories that usually come with it, go ahead and im me.

Thanks.
    Message sent
    07-18-10 02:13 PM
    For what it's worth...

I have had issues with my Tour trackball since day 1. It's always been jumpy and finnicky, but nothing that made me want to go through the hassle of replacing it. Well, this past weekend, the trackball just got stuck and stopped scrolling down altogether.

I took it into a Verizon store today. They said they know it's an issue and that, unfortunately, they do not have any Tours in stock, so I would have to call CS. I hesitated a bit and asked about the Bold, as it looks like a Tour but with the trackpad instead and, since I've been having issues, could I just do that instead.

He walked away and came back stating they didn't have any Bolds in stock, but to call CS. I asked him to make a note in my account that said it was ok for me to get a Bold and he did.

I called CS and talked to a very helpful guy in tech support. He was going to send me a Tour, but I mentioned that a store rep made a note on my account. He pulled it up and said it was kind of vague, but he would go ahead and ship out a Bold instead. I confirmed that this was with the trackpad, not trackball, and the model number was 9650, as that was what I was told I could get at the store.

I'm now waiting for a tracking number. Should be here Friday at the latest.

So, it appears that you still can get a Bold. Both the store rep and tech on the phone confirmed it's a known problem (the tech even said he replaced his Tour with a Bold because of the trackball issue). My guess is Verizon is sick of dealing with the Tours and, if you push a little, you can get it (I didn't even get angry or anything... just played dumb and calmly explained I would prefer the Bold).

Also, I think being nice really helps a lot. The tech on the phone was real nice and we were joking around a bit, and he didn't even hesitate to give me the Bold when he saw the note on my account.

There's probably some luck in which reps you speak with and whatnot, but it appears you can still get a Bold as a replacement for the Tour.
    07-21-10 06:39 PM
    There's a lot of whole lot of luck involved in this, imho.
    I just got Tour FRU #5 in under 30 days.

BTW, for anyone getting hopes up, it came from Ontario, CA, 1 lb box.

I am always nice.
    I never push, demand, or any of that.
    Just try to be polite while stating my issues and bear in mind they're human.
    Just want a phone that works.

I spoke to a Supv Monday and were I not locked into a contract right now I'd bail. He was the first CS rep I've ever spoken to in something like 10 yrs with them that had attitude. And at the end of that call I felt not only boxed in frustrated but humiliated as well.

He was very abrupt from "Hello", like I was bothering him. I was told that 4 out of 4 FRU Tours having trackball issues is hard to believe. (I find it astounding personally.) And he exchanges 1 or 2 per week max. Not all of them for trackballs, either. (I ain't making this stuff up nor am I buying his story. And he got my situation wrong, #2 didn't have a bad trackball on receipt. Which is why I activated it. But it's riddled with other probs discovered upon use & now does have a jumping trackball.)

I ended the conversation with him when he said if I'm not prepared to pay $ for an upgrade, if I can't find a used BB from a friend to activate perhaps I might find a cheap flip phone on VZW site.

I always felt like a loyal customer, not anymore.
    07-21-10 10:32 PM
    There's a lot of whole lot of luck involved in this, imho.
    I just got Tour FRU #5 in under 30 days.

BTW, for anyone getting hopes up, it came from Ontario, CA, 1 lb box.

I am always nice.
    I never push, demand, or any of that.
    Just try to be polite while stating my issues and bear in mind they're human.
    Just want a phone that works.

I spoke to a Supv Monday and were I not locked into a contract right now I'd bail. He was the first CS rep I've ever spoken to in something like 10 yrs with them that had attitude. And at the end of that call I felt not only boxed in frustrated but humiliated as well.

He was very abrupt from "Hello", like I was bothering him. I was told that 4 out of 4 FRU Tours having trackball issues is hard to believe. (I find it astounding personally.) And he exchanges 1 or 2 per week max. Not all of them for trackballs, either. (I ain't making this stuff up nor am I buying his story. And he got my situation wrong, #2 didn't have a bad trackball on receipt. Which is why I activated it. But it's riddled with other probs discovered upon use & now does have a jumping trackball.)

I ended the conversation with him when he said if I'm not prepared to pay $ for an upgrade, if I can't find a used BB from a friend to activate perhaps I might find a cheap flip phone on VZW site.

I always felt like a loyal customer, not anymore.
    he is 100% wrong i work in a call center simialr to his im sure...i work for t-mo tho and we have the 8900 not the same but simialr and it uses the same trackball and i exchange atleast 5 to 10 a day FOR trackball issues alone he straight up lied to you and im honeslty sorry to hear that
    07-21-10 11:01 PM
    I was told that 4 out of 4 FRU Tours having trackball issues is hard to believe. (I find it astounding personally.) And he exchanges 1 or 2 per week max. Not all of them for trackballs, either. (I ain't making this stuff up nor am I buying his story. And he got my situation wrong, #2 didn't have a bad trackball on receipt. Which is why I activated it. But it's riddled with other probs discovered upon use & now does have a jumping trackball.)
    Wow. That's terrible. And a total lie. Both the store tech and tech over the phone I spoke with admitted they have seen tons of Tours come back due to trackball issues.

I think you're right, though. It is a lot of luck. Both people I talked with were helpful and understanding, so I'm sure that helped my case a lot.

My shipping info says 3 pounds on it. I hope that means it's a Bold. *knocks on wood*
    07-21-10 11:28 PM
    I got mine by offering to send back my Tour for a compensation on my wireless bill, note that it helps a lot if you ask to talk to their replacement department, just tell the rep you need to talk to their phone replacement department about getting a replacement phone.
    07-22-10 12:46 PM
2,047 ... 7879808182
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD