09-19-10 09:45 PM
2,047 ... 4041424344 ...
tools
    Kevin, they are all coming from the US. There is an Ontario, California and I have received many replacements over the years from there since I live in NV. That includes phones that were not BB's.

My guess is when phones are ordered they grab the next one unless they are given specific instructions for "new". I also think that many of the "refurbs" are probably new as well. When a store comes out with a new device there are many that are originally packaged as refurbs because there are always problems. This keeps packaging consistant down the line. This is similar to things that you find in bulk packaging (not labeled for retail). I would imagine that depending on location, there are few actual refurbs out there and those would have been cosmetic issues or review models or exchanges. Either way if you get a lemon and this is not just an issue with refurbs there are plenty of new devices that have problems, you would just exchange it again. Once you turn on the device in your account, that device becomes your phone type.
    Weight on packages is subjective according to whoever did the shipping paperwork. I know that many times my company would send out identical parts in identical boxes and the poundage varied depending on whoever did the rounding. I also know that many times people forgot to change the weight on a package when printing out labels and those were corrected at sorting facilities. In the end, you won't know what you get til you get it.
    I also think that this has become policy for verizon to replace tours with bolds, but is a new policy and computer instructions have not reached company wide yet. There are many call centers and depending on which one you get and which csr you get is a determining factor in what your tour gets replaced with. It would be a very bad policy for verizon to start this and go back and forth depending on the day. You either make everyone happy or make some really happy while really burning customers. I do think this is a verizon policy issue and not something from rim or else sprint would be doing it to. With all of the verizon tours being turned in, sprint could buy those refurbs and keep a stock forever lol.
    06-21-10 01:01 AM
    i'm expecting my bold 9650 on tuesday or wednesday. when the rep asked me if there was any damage to the phone he only asked me if there was cracks on the screen or water damage, which there isn't. what if there's a couple scratches on the shell of the phone? will i be charged for it?
    06-21-10 01:23 AM
    i'm expecting my bold 9650 on tuesday or wednesday. when the rep asked me if there was any damage to the phone he only asked me if there was cracks on the screen or water damage, which there isn't. what if there's a couple scratches on the shell of the phone? will i be charged for it?
    NO! i sent in phones that have been thru the physcal ringer. some had chips knicked in the bottom from dropping them on concrete and pavement. as long as its not wet and the screen is not broke ur good to go.
    06-21-10 01:28 AM
    NO! i sent in phones that have been thru the physcal ringer. some had chips knicked in the bottom from dropping them on concrete and pavement. as long as its not wet and the screen is not broke ur good to go.
    ok thanks. just wanted to make sure i don't end up with a $600 phone bill lol
    06-21-10 01:36 AM
    i know the bold has wi-fi, but what exactly is it? lol
    06-21-10 01:37 AM
    Me too, when did you place the order? I called in Friday at 730pm est
    I called in Thursday morning around 9 am. yea, been awhile
    06-21-10 01:45 AM
    i know the bold has wi-fi, but what exactly is it? lol
    The only thing I have really heard about wifi on blackberry's is that it severely drains the battery. Browser is still slow.

I hope I'm wrong but it may slap all of us in the face for complaining so much about the tour not having it.
    06-21-10 01:45 AM
    Here's what I am thinking, with the bold 9650 being a new phone and only being out a very short time, I don't see how there can be a surplus of FRU/refurbished bolds already. So that means that they would have to start sending out new in box bolds for the replacements. But I could be wrong.

I am agree with some of the other posters that have said that vzw knows what it going on. I think that RIM did tell vzw to stop issuing tours as replacements. And its no surprise that the tours are out of stock , as the bold is replacing the tour.

I in way feel that this is vzw trying to please the tour owners , it sucks for the storm owners that vzw or RIM really didn't do anything for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-10 01:59 AM
    My daughter and I both got Tours last July. Between us we must have had at least 20 replacements (I've been waiting for a very long time for the Bold to come out, she wasn't interested). Back in April, she had her Tour stolen at a restaurant. We paid the $90 for a replacement from Asurion.

It was one of the worst refurbs ever. It started shutting off from the beginning. A few weeks ago it got really bad, shutting off at least 10 times a day. I called Asurion who said that the Tours were backordered. We waited a few days, and when I called them again they said they were still backordered and they could replace it with the Bold.

My daughter wanted no part of it, wanted to keep the Tour, but I had Asurion send the Bold anyway since she needs a functioning phone. Meanwhile, two of my other lines were due for upgrades, so I bought two Bolds. I put one on my line and haven't done anything with the other one yet. I LOVE this phone and thought she'd be happy when she actually tried it.

When the Asurion Bold came, it was sealed in a new box w/all accessories. But when we turned it on, it had the craziest trackpad. There was no adjustment that would make it controllable. Nothing like mine. That pissed her off, now she really hated it and had me send it back, said to tell them not to bother sending another, that she'd deal w/her phone shutting off until whenever the Tours came in.

Asurion then told me that the Tour was discontinued and they could only replace it with a Bold. I said OK because I had a feeling her Tour wasn't going to get any better, and I had them send another Bold. It arrived two days ago and she told me to send it back. I haven't had time, and today her Tour got stuck in a reboot cycle....all day. She had no choice but to activate it. I have never seen someone so miserable to have a new phone!

(Question....I did make a backup of her Tour last week, thinking we were going to switch devices. Today I was hoping that I cold at least get the Tour to stay on a little while so I could use Device Switch Wizard. Unfortunately I can't. What will I (she) lose by restoring the Tour's data onto the Bold, instead of using the wizard?)

Last edited by sandra_17; 06-21-10 at 02:29 AM.
    06-21-10 02:26 AM
    My daughter and I both got Tours last July. Between us we must have had at least 20 replacements (I've been waiting for a very long time for the Bold to come out, she wasn't interested). Back in April, she had her Tour stolen at a restaurant. We paid the $90 for a replacement from Asurion.

It was one of the worst refurbs ever. It started shutting off from the beginning. A few weeks ago it got really bad, shutting off at least 10 times a day. I called Asurion who said that the Tours were backordered. We waited a few days, and when I called them again they said they were still backordered and they could replace it with the Bold.

My daughter wanted no part of it, wanted to keep the Tour, but I had Asurion send the Bold anyway since she needs a functioning phone. Meanwhile, two of my other lines were due for upgrades, so I bought two Bolds. I put one on my line and haven't done anything with the other one yet. I LOVE this phone and thought she'd be happy when she actually tried it.

When the Asurion Bold came, it was sealed in a new box w/all accessories. But when we turned it on, it had the craziest trackpad. There was no adjustment that would make it controllable. Nothing like mine. That pissed her off, now she really hated it and had me send it back, said to tell them not to bother sending another, that she'd deal w/her phone shutting off until whenever the Tours came in.

Asurion then told me that the Tour was discontinued and they could only replace it with a Bold. I said OK because I had a feeling her Tour wasn't going to get any better, and I had them send another Bold. It arrived two days ago and she told me to send it back. I haven't had time, and today her Tour got stuck in a reboot cycle....all day. She had no choice but to activate it. I have never seen someone so miserable to have a new phone!

(Question....I did make a backup of her Tour last week, thinking we were going to switch devices. Today I was hoping that I cold at least get the Tour to stay on a little while so I could use Device Switch Wizard. Unfortunately I can't. What will I (she) lose by restoring the Tour's data onto the Bold, instead of using the wizard?)

Can you smack her on the head for me?

Thats all
    06-21-10 02:33 AM
    ...I only sent back the Tour (including the battery since there was one with the new/replacement phone) and never heard boo from them. They seemed fine with what I sent back. ....
    When Asurion sent my daughter's NIB Bold replacement for her Tour and I told them about the trackpad, they were very clear about telling me to only send the phone back, and to keep the battery and cover as well. The replacement Bold was also NIB, so we have quite a few accessories now!
    06-21-10 02:35 AM
    Can you smack her on the head for me?

Thats all

Oh, you have no idea! She'll be 20 in a few months. 'Nuff said!
    06-21-10 02:36 AM
    MAC Address? Is it on the sticker inside the Bold or do you get it from one of the options screens????

06-21-10 05:31 AM
    i got mine earler today(tracking numb). it has been picked up from tn. and ive gotten new phones that have been sent from tn so i donno. weight hasnt' been put on yet. it just got to the fedex sort facitlity @ 8pm tonite.
    Funny thing; I live in TN and my replacement is coming out of Ontario CA and your from PA and your replacement is coming from TN? I wonder what the logic is in that?
    Last edited by berryloud; 06-21-10 at 07:01 AM.
    06-21-10 06:55 AM
    My replacement should be shipping out sometime today. Hopefully I get tracking information asap with the package weight so I know exactly what I'm getting.
    06-21-10 07:12 AM
    My Bold has gotten to Londonderry NH as of this morning. It's "supposed" to arrive tomorrow, but it could potentially make it today.......

06-21-10 07:21 AM
    One other thought I had about all this stuff......

So Apple is sending out the new iPhone. Perhaps by doing the Tour/Bold exchange thing, RIM/Verizon can pump up the number of (new) phones sent out as compared to Apple/ATT.......

Just a thought.....

06-21-10 07:23 AM
    My phone has been sitting at FedEX in Newark NJ for 24+ hours, and has managed to drop from 3 to 1 lb during its stay. Guess I'm getting a bare phone. Oh well.
    06-21-10 08:00 AM
    Mine should be arriving to me sometime before 3PM today, so I'll post some pictures once I get it!
    06-21-10 08:20 AM
    Mine should be arriving to me sometime before 3PM today, so I'll post some pictures once I get it!
    when you post the pics, let us know what weight you were expecting. I'm sure lots of us wanna know who is gonna get retail, and who is gonna get a plain phone.
    06-21-10 08:22 AM
    when you post the pics, let us know what weight you were expecting. I'm sure lots of us wanna know who is gonna get retail, and who is gonna get a plain phone.
    Mine is coming from Ontario, California and so far it's showing 2.0 pounds. Based on the assumptions of others, I'm expecting a full retail package. But we'll find out shortly!
    06-21-10 08:23 AM
    One other thought I had about all this stuff......

So Apple is sending out the new iPhone. Perhaps by doing the Tour/Bold exchange thing, RIM/Verizon can pump up the number of (new) phones sent out as compared to Apple/ATT.......

Just a thought.....

This doesn't make sense because the 9650s being shipped out are replacements, not new purchases. They do not go towards unit sales and would not count as devices shipped out. In fact, Verizon is losing money by sending out all these most likely new devices. If Verizon really wanted to take some of the spotlight away from Apple they would just offer 9630 owners a discounted upgrade, but even that would barely cause a stir.
    06-21-10 08:27 AM
    It is my understanding that RIM/VZW packages a number of "new" devices in a "FRU" box to take care of issues that arise, in a timely manner, when a device is first released. The means the Bold one receives in a "FRU box" as a replacement for the Tour may or may not be a "new" unit. At this point in time we really don't know.
    06-21-10 08:37 AM
    My replacement Bold is coming tomorrow but I was wondering if I have problems with or lost/break (i have insurance) this Bold in the future, will it be replaced with a Tour or a Bold.
    06-21-10 08:45 AM
    My replacement Bold is coming tomorrow but I was wondering if I have problems with or lost/break (i have insurance) this Bold in the future, will it be replaced with a Tour or a Bold.
    This is relevant to my interests.

I can't imagine them downgrading your phone though, but who knows.
    06-21-10 08:46 AM
2,047 ... 4041424344 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD