09-19-10 09:45 PM
2,047 ... 3637383940 ...
tools
    Everyone whining about not getting a brand new Bold and getting a FRU needs to stfu right now. Who cares? You got a free $500 in exchange for your Tour. Quit being greedy.
    06-20-10 02:04 PM
    I agree with brandon.r seems greedy to me especially since most of the FRU are in reality going to be new phones anyway. At the rate that people are exchanging on trackball issues with the tour, they probably are phones just packaged for FRU instead of retail and are in reality new phones. It's not like you can't exchange again if the phone is bad. It becomes your device type so when you go to exchange again, you will be replaced with a Bold not a tour.
    06-20-10 02:18 PM
    does anyone know if i can activate a phone if it wasn't ordered for my #? My brother and I both have tours and we both got replacements and I was wondering if I can go pick his up form the fedex location and activate it under my number since I'm moving and the facility is on my way... Anyone please help, much appreciated thanks.
    You have to activate it on the intended line first. It wont activate on any other line, when you try it starts then says there was an error completing then it forwards you to a customer service person.
    Last edited by BrianM23; 06-20-10 at 02:22 PM.
    06-20-10 02:20 PM
    Not sure if this thred has moved on, but I called vzw customer support this morning to get a replacement for a broken 3.5mm jack. The rep asked if I minded a bold and explained to me it was the same thing with a trackpad lol. Of course I said sure. Interesting though she said it will come like a reg replacement device no battery or anyting. Anyone recieved there replacement device? What did it come with?
    My rep said I would just be getting the phone and that all my Tour accessories could be used interchangeably on the Bold. Take out your memory card and the rest of the speech they usually give.
    06-20-10 02:26 PM
    Your battery and battery door will work fine with it.
    06-20-10 02:36 PM
    Did they mention you would be getting a Bold? I called at the same time and they told me I would be getting a replacement device but never mentioned me getting a Bold.
    Yes, I will be getting a Bold. I just asked for a replacement as I was sick of dealing with a faulty trackball and problems with my memory slot (seems to be getting worse every reboot). He said they were out of Tours and asked if I was ok with a Bold since it has a trackpad and no moving parts.

I have mixed feelings about guys trying to get a free upgrade to the Bold when their Tours are fine but I can understand wanting some sort of payback from VZW. I'm on my 4th Tour and just gave up and dealt with the problems. It would be awesome to have a fully working BB and I thought that wouldn't happen until my upgrade period was up. I'm very happy RIM stepped up and told VZW to replace Tours with Bolds.
    06-20-10 02:39 PM
    Everyone whining about not getting a brand new Bold and getting a FRU needs to stfu right now. Who cares? You got a free $500 in exchange for your Tour. Quit being greedy.
    i'm gonna take the time to agree with you here. We were able to basically trade up with our phones. as long as it works, the not getting a brand new Bold is getting really very annoying.

You knew up front that you were getting a Certified Like New Bold. there should be no more whining on that front.

A FRU Bold still>A broked Tour.

End story.
    06-20-10 02:39 PM
    I would like to add and say A FRU Bold still > a not broken tour
    06-20-10 02:44 PM
    My rep said I would just be getting the phone and that all my Tour accessories could be used interchangeably on the Bold. Take out your memory card and the rest of the speech they usually give.
    It's amazing how some people will take the word of one rep or tech as the final word in replacements or anything VZW related. Not picking on this poster specifically but there's tons of misinformation out there. A tech working at a VZW store does not have complete knowledge of how returns are handled, probably a good idea but not definitive.

My rep told me that I would be getting a bare phone and I'd have to use my old battery and door. Looking at my tracking info and what most have posted in this thread (yes, I did read every post so far), I should be getting a new retail boxed Bold. If it's a brown boxed FRU, I won't care as long as it works properly. All I want is a fully functional BB that works as intended.

There seems to be a LOT of whiners even though VZW and RIM have both stepped up and is trying to correct a problem.

Despite the trackball and memory slot issues, I love my Tour and wouldn't have a problem if they sent me a replacement Tour (as long as it worked). I just got fed up with backing up and restoring multiple times.
    06-20-10 02:51 PM
    It's amazing how some people will take the word of one rep or tech as the final word in replacements or anything VZW related. Not picking on this poster specifically but there's tons of misinformation out there. A tech working at a VZW store does not have complete knowledge of how returns are handled, probably a good idea but not definitive.

My rep told me that I would be getting a bare phone and I'd have to use my old battery and door. Looking at my tracking info and what most have posted in this thread (yes, I did read every post so far), I should be getting a new retail boxed Bold. If it's a brown boxed FRU, I won't care as long as it works properly. All I want is a fully functional BB that works as intended.

There seems to be a LOT of whiners even though VZW and RIM have both stepped up and is trying to correct a problem.

Despite the trackball and memory slot issues, I love my Tour and wouldn't have a problem if they sent me a replacement Tour (as long as it worked). I just got fed up with backing up and restoring multiple times.
    I don't mind. Either way I'm getting a Bold. I could care less if I have to use the same battery door and charger.
    06-20-10 03:14 PM
    Yes, you absolutely need to put an official VZW OS back on the device after wiping it. VZW randomly inspects warranty returns, and if a non-official OS is found, they have the right to void the warranty. They don't always do this, but they can do it.
    Completely false. Some reps may tell you this as a scare tactic but it does not happen. Once a phone is rcvd back they're checked in and moved on to get reconditioned, no one sits there and has time to check the version of the OS or completely inspect the device.
    06-20-10 03:24 PM
    ok, so i really am having issues with my trackball, and i have been since i got my tour back in december. will i be able to just email CS from the verizon website rather than calling them, or is it more effective to call?
    06-20-10 03:29 PM
    ok, so i really am having issues with my trackball, and i have been since i got my tour back in december. will i be able to just email CS from the verizon website rather than calling them, or is it more effective to call?
    it would be more effective if you call since the cs rep online will tell u to call anyway. they will give you an incident # so that when you call in u can provide that the the csr and they will see the notated acct.

that's just from my past expierence =)
    06-20-10 03:33 PM
    Call them. They will inquire about your problems - specify flaky trackball and that you tweaked the SENSITIVITY (under options) and have tried carefully cleaning it by rolling on clean paper.

866-406-5154
    06-20-10 03:34 PM
    I don't mind. Either way I'm getting a Bold. I could care less if I have to use the same battery door and charger.
    Exactly, I was told up front Friday morning that I would have to use the old battery from my Tour, battery door cover and all accessories that came with my Tour on the "Certified Like New Bold" that would be replacing my Tour. Fine by me. I was told that I would receive just the bare phone with no battery or battery door, etc, however my FedEx shipping weight shows 3lbs shipped Friday from Ft.Worth, TX and is now in Chicago distribution center waiting for delivery. I had to call VZW back for a tracking number since I was told that they could not send an e-mail with that information and had to call back after 6pm for tracking number. I have 10 days from receipt to try it out, return it post paid if I don't like for any reason, keep my Tour and owe nothing. Or just return the bare Tour phone per instructions by original rep and verified when I called back for tracking number and also verified that a Bold 9650 was what shipped. I was told by original CSR that I would only be charged if the phone had any physical damage such as cracked screen or if it had water damage. Again told by second rep that I would receive "Certified Like New Bold" and would need to use my Tour battery, door cover, etc. If I get a new phone with or without accessories, fine, if not, also fine with me.
    06-20-10 03:39 PM
    Yeah, I've had trackball issues and took it to a Verizon Store on Monday and they were going to ship me a phone but I was going to be out of the country. I come back and we're able to get on the Bold, however when I called they never mentioned me being able to get a Bold.
    06-20-10 03:49 PM
    ok thanks
    i did however send them an email last night and they did tell me to call, but to call from a landline...which i don't have. would i be able to just call from my cell and tell them that i did everything i was told in the email?
    06-20-10 04:01 PM
    ok thanks
    i did however send them an email last night and they did tell me to call, but to call from a landline...which i don't have. would i be able to just call from my cell and tell them that i did everything i was told in the email?
    yeah you can do that.. that's what i did =)
    06-20-10 04:02 PM
    ok thanks

and the rep also told me that doing all the things he told me won't help with my trackball issue, only my problems with reception...
    06-20-10 04:05 PM
    Just called and the rep said they sent me a Tour and they have some in stock now.
    06-20-10 04:11 PM
    i'm on the phone with them right now. they're transferring me to tech support so we'll see what happens i guess...
    06-20-10 04:16 PM
    Completely false. Some reps may tell you this as a scare tactic but it does not happen. Once a phone is rcvd back they're checked in and moved on to get reconditioned, no one sits there and has time to check the version of the OS or completely inspect the device.
    exactly. thats what i said. they dont have time to go over it. they check it for 2 things, water and physcal damage. then it gets moved on. vzw dont even check it, its new breed that does it lol. they dont care. ive sent them in bricked they dont say nothing. everyhting gets replaced and referbed and moved on to the next lucky winner.
    06-20-10 04:19 PM
    no dice. they said all they can do is replace the trackball and that they're getting new tours in on wednesday :/
    06-20-10 04:21 PM
    monster,

wait 15 mins call back thats what i had to do. call till u get someone to work with u call 866 406 5154 thats level 2 and 3 csrs. dont call 611 on ur phone u get general csrs that are only good for billing issues lol.
    06-20-10 04:27 PM
    i've been experiencing trackball issues for a while now, but i figured ijust had to deal with it -- so this is good news!

the bad news is, im in europe until the middle of august, and my 1 year warranty will be up on july 12. will i be able to get a switch out while im over seas? my boxing and original memory card are back home too... anyone have any experience with this?

i think i might be SOL

-Cow
    06-20-10 04:31 PM
2,047 ... 3637383940 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD