09-19-10 09:45 PM
2,047 ... 3536373839 ...
tools
    Have you read up on the Bold? We might be jumping from the frying pan into the fire here. I've got a Bold coming as well, but will give it solid testing before I send my Tour back. Furthermore, with all the FRUs available, makes me wonder what's really going on here...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That was definitely a concern as I moved to/from my landline about 5 times yesterday initiating a call to verizon and thinking what am I doing - Tour works reasonably well and in its otterbox is totally unblemished. Trackball is sometimes odd but I've worked with it. Read a bit in the 9650 Subforum and there's the usual "issues" with it - reception, leaning trackpads... And speaking of Otterbox, I will have to pay for a new one as the tour is apparently just different enough that the current one will not work (someone mentioned the usb port is moved besides the trackpad/ball fitting). Because if I_hiker is your name, you understand that me-hiker, x-country skier and bikie needs a protected BB.
    06-20-10 09:33 AM
    As a Storm owner, this otherwise nice move annoys me. I had my Storm 1 replaced within the one year warranty and was not offered a Storm 2. Is this a new precedent for VZW or just with the Tour?
    06-20-10 09:39 AM
    I just called in about the trackball issue which I really have and the rep told me to go into a store and they can replace the trackball!!! Is VZW catching on to this little scheme? I hope not, I will be calling in again later today!!
    The stores will replace the trackball on the 8330 because it just pops out. They won't replace the trackball on the tour because it's actually installed inside the case. Just tell them that the store told you that they only replace the trackballs on the 8330. They asked me the same question and that's what I told them. I think they just know that the stores can change out trackballs and are clueless as to which models they can actually do it on.

Let me say this, the beauty of Verizon is that if you call back enough, you can get what you want. They all say different things so eventually you'll find someone that will help you out. I learned this when I was trying to activate free PTT. I called like 5 times and finally found someone who knew what I was talking about.
    06-20-10 10:05 AM
    Its always nice to hear these kind of stories. I took my Bold 9000 back under warranty & a couple of weeks later got a call to say my phone was ready for collection & had been upgraded to the 9700. When i went to collect it,it was a brand new phone with accessories in the sealed box RESULT. I had only just took out another contract to get a 9700 as my existing contract had a month left on it & i just wanted to get a new refurb 9000 to put on Ebay. So i had two 9700s & bold 9000 accessories to sell, its fair to say i was VERY happy at that point.
    06-20-10 10:15 AM
    So do you think that it would be an issue if the phone has been opened? On my tour, the screws are a little stripped and the white sticker is missing off of one of the screws. Are they going to be very critical of these phones or are they going to pretty much just check to see if they make it back to the warehouse? I just dont want to be stuck with a $600 bill in a month.
    That is precisely why the white sticker is on there.....so VZW can easily see if the case has been opened. The red water-damage sticker and sticker over the screw are realistically the only thing they will check. You're taking a $600 gamble.
    06-20-10 10:22 AM
    well,, im slightly worried now. Yesterday, the shipping weight was 3lbs, now its 1lb. what happened?!
    This happened to me as well! I am not sure what that means...
    06-20-10 11:37 AM
    Mine is coming Wed. How could anyone pass-up an upgrade from a Tour to a Bold...even if his Tour was working fine?
    06-20-10 11:46 AM
    Just got an e-mail this morning with tracking info.

ETA Wed before 7pm with a shipping weight of 2lbs. No mention of origin.

Made the call ~7:30pm Friday and talked with the nicest TS and CS people EVER! The first call made the day before on the cell phone was with a CS girl that seemed to have no clue (as well as the personality of a door knob) and unwilling to deviate from her script.
    06-20-10 11:48 AM
    does anyone know if i can activate a phone if it wasn't ordered for my #? My brother and I both have tours and we both got replacements and I was wondering if I can go pick his up form the fedex location and activate it under my number since I'm moving and the facility is on my way... Anyone please help, much appreciated thanks.
    06-20-10 11:51 AM
    Do a security wipe, you don't know Verizon's privacy policy so if you don't who know what they will find on your phone.

Options -> Security -> Security Wipe

Will take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to complete. Only does this after you have backed up all information on phone on your computer.
    Thank you for the reply, but that was not my question. I've returned phones before so I understand the process of wiping the phone before returning it.

My question is that I am running a non-official Verizon OS on my phone and was curious if I had to install an official one before I returned it or does it even matter?
    06-20-10 11:58 AM
    Thank you for the reply, but that was not my question. I've returned phones before so I understand the process of wiping the phone before returning it.

My question is that I am running a non-official Verizon OS on my phone and was curious if I had to install an official one before I returned it or does it even matter?
    Regardless of your OS, official or not, you should wipe it back to its original manufactured state. The option for this comes up after you run the device switch wizard via BB Desktop Manager.
    06-20-10 12:08 PM
    Ok...so maybe I am just confused. (usually the norm)

I thought wiping the phone just got rid of all data and apps. Does doing so also bring the phone back to the original OS? That was version 4.7 I believe.

I plan on wiping the phone, but after doing so I was assuming a bare OS (the non-verizon one) would be still be on it. I was wondering if I had to then re-install an official OS before returning it.

Thanks for the replies.
    06-20-10 12:22 PM
    Ok...so maybe I am just confused. (usually the norm)

I thought wiping the phone just got rid of all data and apps. Does doing so also bring the phone back to the original OS? That was version 4.7 I believe.

I plan on wiping the phone, but after doing so I was assuming a bare OS (the non-verizon one) would be still be on it. I was wondering if I had to then re-install an official OS before returning it.

Thanks for the replies.
    Ahhhh ok. No you do not have to install the new OS, they will take the 4.7 one back.
    06-20-10 12:29 PM
    Just got an e-mail this morning with tracking info.

ETA Wed before 7pm with a shipping weight of 2lbs. No mention of origin.

Made the call ~7:30pm Friday and talked with the nicest TS and CS people EVER! The first call made the day before on the cell phone was with a CS girl that seemed to have no clue (as well as the personality of a door knob) and unwilling to deviate from her script.
    Did they mention you would be getting a Bold? I called at the same time and they told me I would be getting a replacement device but never mentioned me getting a Bold.
    06-20-10 12:32 PM
    My Tour is running 5.0.0.643 - Do I have to put a
    Verizon OS on it before I return or does it even
    matter?
    Do a security wipe, you don't know Verizon's privacy policy so if you don't who know what they will find on your phone.

Options -> Security -> Security Wipe

Will take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to complete. Only does this after you have backed up all information on phone on your computer.
    Bad info. A security wipe does not put the original OS back on the device. It takes whatever OS is on it at the time of the wipe and sets that same OS back to factory default. It removes all personal info, apps, calendar entries, etc.

06-20-10 12:34 PM
    Bad info. A security wipe does not put the original OS back on the device. It takes whatever OS is on it at the time of the wipe and sets that same OS back to factory default. It removes all personal info, apps, calendar entries, etc.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. So do I have to put the official back on, or can I leave it as is?

Do they even care?
    06-20-10 12:39 PM
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. So do I have to put the official back on, or can I leave it as is?

Do they even care?
    Yes, you absolutely need to put an official VZW OS back on the device after wiping it. VZW randomly inspects warranty returns, and if a non-official OS is found, they have the right to void the warranty. They don't always do this, but they can do it.

It would be best to put the latest OS on it so that they won't think that your problem stemmed from an older OS.

06-20-10 12:47 PM

Do they even care?
    They prolly don't care, because what they are going to do is a hardware check, then load new software and place in a new shell, so they don't really care.

Just so you know I got that info from Tech in Verizon Store at Wooster, Ohio. To make an FRU unit, they just do hardware test, load new software and put in new case.

see post above and below, for additional info... thanks travelingfool
    06-20-10 12:47 PM
    Yes, you absolutely need to put an official VZW OS back on the device after wiping it. VZW randomly inspects warranty returns, and if a non-official OS is found, they have the right to void the warranty. They don't always do this, but they can do it.

It would be best to put the latest OS on it so that they won't think that your problem stemmed from an older OS.

good to know...I was never told that, makes sense though, thanks for adding...
    06-20-10 12:48 PM
    Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll do a wipe & an official OS load just to be sure.
    06-20-10 12:57 PM
    Not sure if this thred has moved on, but I called vzw customer support this morning to get a replacement for a broken 3.5mm jack. The rep asked if I minded a bold and explained to me it was the same thing with a trackpad lol. Of course I said sure. Interesting though she said it will come like a reg replacement device no battery or anyting. Anyone recieved there replacement device? What did it come with?
    06-20-10 01:37 PM
    Not sure if this thred has moved on, but I called vzw customer support this morning to get a replacement for a broken 3.5mm jack. The rep asked if I minded a bold and explained to me it was the same thing with a trackpad lol. Of course I said sure. Interesting though she said it will come like a reg replacement device no battery or anyting. Anyone recieved there replacement device? What did it come with?
    mine came with only phone and battery door, that was it.
    06-20-10 01:46 PM
    Just worked for me as well. I suggest everyone who wants one to do it.
    06-20-10 01:46 PM
    As my earlier post stated, mine came complete as if I purchased it at the store. Full box with all the cables, adapters, earpiece, manuals, papers, holster, everything. Also, phone still had all original plastic stickers covering the entire unit. Also came with battery & new battery cover.
    I have noticed that the battery cover with the bold is a smoother feeling compared to the battery cover that came with my tour. Not sure if anyone else has noticed any difference in the feeling.
    06-20-10 01:56 PM
    aalso ive sent tons of phones in with leaked os's on them and no charges have ever occured to me. they dont have time to go over the **** with a fine tooth comb, they check it for water damage and if it was thrown at a wall thats it!
    06-20-10 02:03 PM
2,047 ... 3536373839 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD