09-19-10 10:45 PM
2,047 ... 3435363738 ...
tools
    Man, this wait is driving me crazy
    06-20-10 01:27 AM
    And people wonder why we got rid of multi-fru. This thread is a prime example.
    06-20-10 01:36 AM
    What does FRU even mean?
    06-20-10 01:37 AM
    Factory Refurbished United
    06-20-10 01:39 AM
    What does FRU even mean?
    I thought it was Factory Refurbished Unit, but someone corrected me and told me that it is actually Field Replacement Unit.
    06-20-10 01:39 AM
    Ohhhh. Thanks Learn something new everyday
    06-20-10 01:41 AM
    Ohhhh. Thanks Learn something new everyday
    Ya so did I. Felt a little stupid when I got corrected, but hey knowledge is knowledge.
    06-20-10 01:43 AM
    Ya so did I. Felt a little stupid when I got corrected, but hey knowledge is knowledge.
    Exactly! I'm just praying for a FRU Bold, I'm done with my tour.
    06-20-10 01:46 AM
    Darn, I just realized that as a newer device, the Bold will have Bing as not only the default search engine in the browser but no way to change it other than setting a bookmark. Hmmm, maybe I will keep the Tour after I look over the Bold. Or maybe not.
    06-20-10 01:50 AM
    You could always call and ask. Perhaps say that you just wanted to check and make sure that you are getting the device you should be.
    06-20-10 01:53 AM
    I did and all they told me was that I was getting a replacement of the same device.
    06-20-10 01:59 AM
    My Tour is running 5.0.0.643 - Do I have to put a Verizon OS on it before I return or does it even matter?
    06-20-10 02:22 AM
    If I am not mistaken (have been many,many times) the tour just came out about last July is that right? I got mine in October so I am not sure. Any way my friend has had his about 2 months, it was used from someone else. He has had trackball issues and a charging port issue, ( you have to hold it just right to get it to charge).

He has called 3 times yesterday and all three times they keep telling him his tour is out of warranty and no dice.
    I thought all Tours had a 1 yr mfg. warranty? should he keep trying to call?

He mentioned that the tour was being Phased out from what he read (there is a link on here some where) and the rep told him any returned tours will be refurbed and used as replacements thru 3rd party insurance companies until all stock is depleted.

Anyone have any insight on this?
    06-20-10 06:33 AM
    This is mostly out of curiosity (I don't have trackball issues), but if there are some users that claimed to have trackball issues and called in to get a replacement Bold, what happens when they send the device back in and the trackball works? Does the place that receives the tour back from the user run some sort of diagnostics/inspection of the unit to verify the claim of the bad trackball?
    06-20-10 06:40 AM
    If I am not mistaken (have been many,many times) the tour just came out about last July is that right? I got mine in October so I am not sure. Any way my friend has had his about 2 months, it was used from someone else. He has had trackball issues and a charging port issue, ( you have to hold it just right to get it to charge).

He has called 3 times yesterday and all three times they keep telling him his tour is out of warranty and no dice.
    I thought all Tours had a 1 yr mfg. warranty? should he keep trying to call?

He mentioned that the tour was being Phased out from what he read (there is a link on here some where) and the rep told him any returned tours will be refurbed and used as replacements thru 3rd party insurance companies until all stock is depleted.

Anyone have any insight on this?
    You said it yourself..1 yr MFG WARRANTY. Last time I checked, Verizon wasnt the manufacturer. VZ will replace/exchange phones that has been purchased through them ONLY because they have proof that it was purchased from them.

Its like going to a store and buying an electronic. You bought it from someone and something happens. You go back to the store and try to exchange/refund and they wont let you. Why? Because you have no proof that you got it from them. This is called scamming. Which is a no-no.

Any phones bought second hand from someone or from eBay has NO warranty from carrier. Period. You will have to send to RIM. Some people are lucky to have their second hand phones replaced because the rep didnt look at the account to see where it was bought.
    06-20-10 08:53 AM
    You said it yourself..1 yr MFG WARRANTY. Last time I checked, Verizon wasnt the manufacturer. VZ will replace/exchange phones that has been purchased through them ONLY because they have proof that it was purchased from them.

Its like going to a store and buying an electronic. You bought it from someone and something happens. You go back to the store and try to exchange/refund and they wont let you. Why? Because you have no proof that you got it from them. This is called scamming. Which is a no-no.

Any phones bought second hand from someone or from eBay has NO warranty from carrier. Period. You will have to send to RIM. Some people are lucky to have their second hand phones replaced because the rep didnt look at the account to see where it was bought.
    Perhaps I should have made myself a little clearer, Not sure where you got the ebay thing or not purchased from VZ but anyway. He already had a tour, got droped and flew to pieces, his gf upgraded her tour to the droid, he took over her tour.
    She had her tour since last December, thats why he is confused on the "out of warranty" part of the convo he had with the Rep.
    I have had many VZ phones and a couple of tours as well that was obtained from friends or family members and I have never had a problem with warranty exchanges.
    The last two tours I had prior to my upgrade to the 9650 were not initially purchased by me. The rep in the store and at VZ tech both said it does not matter who puchased the phone you have as long as it was purchased thru VZ and legally obtained from who ever and is active at the time of failure on your account, they will warranty the phone.
    06-20-10 09:02 AM
    Perhaps I should have made myself a little clearer, Not sure where you got the ebay thing or not purchased from VZ but anyway. He already had a tour, got droped and flew to pieces, his gf upgraded her tour to the droid, he took over her tour.
    She had her tour since last December, thats why he is confused on the "out of warranty" part of the convo he had with the Rep.
    I have had many VZ phones and a couple of tours as well that was obtained from friends or family members and I have never had a problem with warranty exchanges.
    The last two tours I had prior to my upgrade to the 9650 were not initially purchased by me. The rep in the store and at VZ tech both said it does not matter who puchased the phone you have as long as it was purchased thru VZ and legally obtained from who ever and is active at the time of failure on your account, they will warranty the phone.
    Ah ok. What I said is a general statement and applies to everyone as well.

I believe for your situation, since the phone was originally activated on his gfs line, your friend is not the original owner. The best thing to do is have her call up and ask for a replacement. If they are both on the same account, state that she gave her Tour to her bf and that its messed up. If they still say no, have her put the Tour back on to her account, call up CSR and than put her Droid back on.

When I had the Tour, I purchased mine through someone on HowardForums. It crapped out on me and VZ was able to exchange it once. Than it crapped out again. Called back again and the rep gave me a hard time saying they couldnt find where I purchased it and there was no record of it and I couldnt get it replaced. Eventually I was able to get a replacement sent.
    Last edited by y2bandit; 06-20-10 at 09:13 AM.
    06-20-10 09:09 AM
    If your phone was purchased through VZ and transferred you just have to get a good rep. I had this problem with my girlfriends tour. She upgraded on my line and then I let her have it (she has a totally seperate account.) When it started getting trackball problems we went to a Verizon and the guy was like "It's not in our system as being purchased, you will have to contact Blackberry." I ended up calling RIM through a number he gave me and the lady pretty much said the guy was a ****** and go back to verizon they should replace it. So it all depends on who you get. But she is now on her 3rd or 4th Tour with no problems getting them replaced.

BTW Anyone try getting a bold this morning?
    06-20-10 09:26 AM
    I just called in about the trackball issue which I really have and the rep told me to go into a store and they can replace the trackball!!! Is VZW catching on to this little scheme? I hope not, I will be calling in again later today!!
    06-20-10 09:46 AM
    So what are you expected to return your original device in? Did the package also come with an empty brown cardboard box to put it in? Or do they expect you to wrap it up and make sure it's protected?
    Hopefully this will clear up a lot of these questions. This is my recommendation: If you get the brown box, keep the little one that the phone is in, take the plastic that is wrapped around the new phone and place it around the old phone and just put it in the bigger brown box with the plastic balloon. Don't worry about phone damage on the way down, tours are on the way out, they have been issued an end of life order. Return items from your tour that was sent with your bold. So if you get a battery door, return old door, if you get the new Bold, then send everything back. I don't know if they will charge you for accessories if you keep them. I have never tried that.

If you get the new bold, send you tour back in it's orginal box.
    Last edited by MedicStuder; 06-20-10 at 09:53 AM.
    06-20-10 09:47 AM
    My Tour is running 5.0.0.643 - Do I have to put a Verizon OS on it before I return or does it even matter?
    Do a security wipe, you don't know Verizon's privacy policy so if you don't who know what they will find on your phone.

Options -> Security -> Security Wipe

Will take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to complete. Only does this after you have backed up all information on phone on your computer.
    06-20-10 09:51 AM
    Have you read up on the Bold? We might be jumping from the frying pan into the fire here. I've got a Bold coming as well, but will give it solid testing before I send my Tour back. Furthermore, with all the FRUs available, makes me wonder what's really going on here...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 09:59 AM
    maybe verizon is doing this because they know OS6 is right around the cornor =/
    06-20-10 10:05 AM
    This is mostly out of curiosity (I don't have trackball issues), but if there are some users that claimed to have trackball issues and called in to get a replacement Bold, what happens when they send the device back in and the trackball works? Does the place that receives the tour back from the user run some sort of diagnostics/inspection of the unit to verify the claim of the bad trackball?
    This has been discussed. Apparently, they do not exhaustively test each returned unit and may only randomly test returned units. In any event some of the trackball issues are intermittent and might not show up in a cursory review of the device.

If I had to guess, if they match a unit with a specific complaint at all, they might just fix that part - trackball replacement, or convenience key or lock key??? Just speculating..........
    06-20-10 10:24 AM
    they referb phones they send them out to a company(new breed) and new breed referbs them. they dont inspect them they just pop out parts and put new parts in. the only inspection it gets upon recipt from the customer(in this place if u got a bold and sent ur tour in, they check it for water damage and if you threw it at a wall) and thats it. then off to new breed(if not already there) to be referbed and sent out to anouther lucky winner.
    So do you think that it would be an issue if the phone has been opened? On my tour, the screws are a little stripped and the white sticker is missing off of one of the screws. Are they going to be very critical of these phones or are they going to pretty much just check to see if they make it back to the warehouse? I just dont want to be stuck with a $600 bill in a month.
    06-20-10 10:25 AM
2,047 ... 3435363738 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD