10-15-09 01:49 PM
35 12
tools
    This picture is from my brother's Verizon BlackBerry Tour. You can see the black bar on top is a bit different than usual. It says the number of characters left before hitting 160 and then says 1 of 6 allowing you to exceed the 160 limit. My brother was able to go over the limit and then it was broken into multiple texts ala AT&T.

Unfortunantly, this was short lived--only lasted for a day before returning to normal. He told me about it and I have no idea what caused it, though I wish I did because it is feature sorely lacking from Verizon.
    09-03-09 04:59 PM
    Did he download a trial of Beyond 160?
    09-03-09 08:22 PM
    Its because the tour jumped to a gsm network which allows you to have 160+ mine did it the other day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 12:52 PM
    dont you just love the cdma network! LMAO
    10-08-09 01:34 PM
    My Moto Q would automatically go way over, and it would just deliver the message in two or three texts.....on a CDMA network.
    10-08-09 01:38 PM
    My Moto Q would automatically go way over, and it would just deliver the message in two or three texts.....on a CDMA network.
    My old dumbphone would do the same on a CDMA network..
    10-08-09 01:49 PM
    My TP2 does it. Voyagers, enVs, LG flips do it, as do Motos, Samsungs, etc. They can all send larger than 160.

But not CDMA BlackBerrys.

And your Tours do not roam on GSM networks within the US.
    10-08-09 02:00 PM
    My TP2 does it. Voyagers, enVs, LG flips do it, as do Motos, Samsungs, etc. They can all send larger than 160.

"But BB is the best! Why would anyone want to go with a TP2, I mean I have to hit two buttons to get into my applications with 6.1.

Maybe I will upgrade it to 6.5 when its available"

Sorry for the hijack, just had an "expert" leave my store telling me why the tour is so much better than the stupid tp2 he had to lug around for two weeks.
    10-08-09 02:21 PM

It's really a stuoid nitpicking small issue RIM should address.

10-08-09 02:29 PM
    It's really a stuoid nitpicking small issue RIM should address.
    Agreed - and I have no clue as to why native GSM models do it & native CDMA models don't.

It is just a software fix, after all.

10-08-09 03:36 PM
    One more reason I like my T-Mo phone lol I get the the 1/6 to pop up after i hit 160
    10-08-09 03:37 PM
    One more reason I like my T-Mo phone lol I get the the 1/6 to pop up after i hit 160
    Six times more message, twenty times longer to send/receive.

Get more.
    10-08-09 03:52 PM
    My buddy is on verizon and complains about this. Is there anyway to get around this without buying Beyond160?

Can he install OS from another 8330 carrier? I assume if its a CDMA issue its for all 8330 carriers?

What about leaked versions of OS 5?

10-08-09 05:38 PM
    M M S
    10-08-09 05:43 PM
    Problem is not everyone has mms...

Anyone tried OS 5, is this still an issue?

10-08-09 05:46 PM
    If you have that much to say, send an e-mail...

10-08-09 05:51 PM
    Thanks for anwser the question....

Personally, I never go over 160, and if I do I'm on GSM Rogers so it splits. But my buddy on verizon would really like this....

10-08-09 05:57 PM
    If you have that much to say, send an e-mail...
    Not everyone with whom I need to communicate has email on their phones, so that's not always a viable solution.
    10-08-09 06:02 PM
    Problem is not everyone has mms...

Anyone tried OS 5, is this still an issue?

5.0.0.230 still goes field full
    10-08-09 06:06 PM
    This 160 character debate gets oooooolllllld. Those of you who love sending your long winded text messages would not like it so much if you were on the recieving end where the messages come in out of order and the middle piece comes in much later (sometimes hours later).

Trust me MMS is the best way go go. There are very few people left who don't have this on their phones. Yes not 100% have it but the vast majority do.
    10-08-09 09:05 PM
    Six times more message, twenty times longer to send/receive.

Get more.
    Oh of course
    10-08-09 09:45 PM
    This 160 character debate gets oooooolllllld. Those of you who love sending your long winded text messages would not like it so much if you were on the recieving end where the messages come in out of order and the middle piece comes in much later (sometimes hours later).

Trust me MMS is the best way go go. There are very few people left who don't have this on their phones. Yes not 100% have it but the vast majority do.
    Agree fully - then there is the issue of those on the receiving end of those split messages - if they have a limited number of texts, you might have just cost them 6 texts out of their bucket.

They might not have email. I doubt too many people other than the occasional Sprint customer doesn't have MMS, but regardless - maybe they don't have these things because they don't want the long messages. Personally, I hate long messages - if you have that much to say, call me.
    10-09-09 01:01 AM

Its not getting old, its been old lol

Like ive suggested in the past......stop writing novels via text message and you wont have a problem
    10-10-09 11:17 AM
    stop writing novels via text message and you wont have a problem
    What a novel concept.

10-10-09 11:51 AM

I don't really understand this.. it's not like it's something that BB can't fix. It's not a hardware limitation, other phones do it, why do you choose to limit yourself? Yes you can send an email, or an MMS, but I just send two text when I need to. It just makes no sense why people argue that BB should just ignore it when every other major phone carrier allows more than 160.
    10-10-09 02:55 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD