01-14-11 01:00 AM
27 12
tools
    I will try and keep this very simple and concise. On Dec. 9, 2010 I ordered the HTC Droid Incredible from Best Buy for free. I received it 2 days later. I was told service doesn't begin until the device is activated through Verizon. I decided a week later I wanted to keep T-Mobile so I took the un-opened Droid Incredible back to Best Buy. I was told they can't cancel the account and that I had to call Verizon to do so.

I call Verizon and get a mentally challenged rep. Majoring in elementary education with an endorsement in special ed my patience is extremely high. I tried to tolerate the poor soul but he suspended the account after I specifically wanted everything cancelled and was in my 30 days obviously. I then asked to be transfered and kept getting disconnected. I finally reached a Verizon rep and had to verify the phone was returned. We then became disconnected again, coincidence? I called again and finally got the account completely cancelled after asking a dozen times, "Will I be charged anything?" I was told I will be getting a bill for $0.00?. Case closed.

Dec. 24 Christmas Eve after working 8 hours I get a bill for $148.26. I immediately called and was told it was a mistake and that it would ALL be credited back to me. The rep said she would be monitoring my account and would be giving me a call the following week. The conversation ended with me be assured the next bill I received would be a $0.00 balance. Well today (Jan 3) I received a new bill for $434.92. Apparently I owe them an early termination fee. God only knows where the rest came from.

I got on the phone with a very helpful and knowledgeable rep who told me the credit for $350 was still pending. I said I understand but why is only $350 being credited back to me when I should have a credit of $434.92. She explained that the data plan and calling plan were separately going to be credited all on the next bill. She then proceeded to tell me I will owe an activation fee of $35 plus taxes on that for the account. I said that I shouldn't owe Verizon anything because I technically never even used the service and never even opended my phone. Well apparently that is not true and the account was open for 3 days before I cancelled it. This rep assured me that all I would owe would be $35 activation fee plus taxes on that.

I said I can deal with that but its still ridiculous. During the time I signed up for the service there was a NO ACTIVATION. This apparently applies to those who keep their service? So the conversation once again ended with me being assured that I will owe nothing BUT an activation fee. The rep said she will be closely monitoring the account and if the $350 credit doesn't post tomorrow she will be re-issuing it. I am expected to be getting a call on Jan. 30. Ok problem solved right? Well maybe but I am very concerned the next bill will be close to under a grand for late charges and god only knows what else.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me out by sharing their stories or offering me some advice on this matter. I will pay them for their activation fee but that is it. I do not want to be receiving endless bills from Verizon until the end of time.
    01-03-11 10:26 PM
    I'm sorry I don't know how to help fix your problem but wanted to say "what a circus!" This is absolutely nuts. You shouldn't owe them even a dime since you never activated the phone. I don't understand how they can charge an activation fee for a service that was never activated.
    01-04-11 01:43 AM
    I have been dealing with the same type of thing over the last couple months just from changing my calling/data plan. Every time I call and speak to a Rep they assure me everything will be straightened out on-line and the billing will be correct for the following month. 2 months later I am STILL trying to get everything straightened out.

Just one note that I can mention here is the recommendation to NEVER, under ANY circumstances, expect ANYONE at the Verizon Stores to fix anything. Every time I go in to a store to do ANYTHING things just seem to come out worse.
    01-04-11 10:57 AM
    I have been dealing with the same type of thing over the last couple months just from changing my calling/data plan. Every time I call and speak to a Rep they assure me everything will be straightened out on-line and the billing will be correct for the following month. 2 months later I am STILL trying to get everything straightened out.

Just one note that I can mention here is the recommendation to NEVER, under ANY circumstances, expect ANYONE at the Verizon Stores to fix anything. Every time I go in to a store to do ANYTHING things just seem to come out worse.
    I am sure its not straightened out or if it ever will be. No where in the terms of conditions did it state if service is activated in the 30 day grace period will the consumer have to pay an activation fee. Absolute BS!!!!!! I really hope Verizon monitors this forum they can see how ridiculous they really are. I will keep this thread updated with any new information and hopefully it will help the next guy they screw.
    01-04-11 11:13 AM
    Perhaps you may want to get your local Attorney General involved:

Attorney General: Consumer Complaint
    01-04-11 12:51 PM
    Perhaps you may want to get your local Attorney General involved:

Attorney General: Consumer Complaint
    Thank you, I will take that into consideration if they do not resolve it. Is it free? I didn't see anything about a fee.
    01-04-11 01:54 PM
    I am sure its not straightened out or if it ever will be. No where in the terms of conditions did it state if service is activated in the 30 day grace period will the consumer have to pay an activation fee. Absolute BS!!!!!! I really hope Verizon monitors this forum they can see how ridiculous they really are. I will keep this thread updated with any new information and hopefully it will help the next guy they screw.
    I am really sorry to hear about your issues, I hope it get resolves quickly. I am not sure what it is with billing issues that make it so hard to resolve, but I see this so many times. If you did not activate the service there is no activation fee, if you did not activate the phone you can not be billed usage and if you returned the equipment, you are not charged an ETF. I would recommend calling in and speaking to a supervisor or even writing to their correspondence address on their Contact Us section of their website. Maybe even an email. At this point a paper trail is going to be the best option in getting this resolved, that way if you have to go to BBB or the Atty Gen, you will have documents showing you were trying to get this resolved IMO. There is no reason that you should have to be dealing with this still.
    01-04-11 02:15 PM
    I am really sorry to hear about your issues, I hope it get resolves quickly. I am not sure what it is with billing issues that make it so hard to resolve, but I see this so many times. If you did not activate the service there is no activation fee, if you did not activate the phone you can not be billed usage and if you returned the equipment, you are not charged an ETF. I would recommend calling in and speaking to a supervisor or even writing to their correspondence address on their Contact Us section of their website. Maybe even an email. At this point a paper trail is going to be the best option in getting this resolved, that way if you have to go to BBB or the Atty Gen, you will have documents showing you were trying to get this resolved IMO. There is no reason that you should have to be dealing with this still.
    Thanks. I am gonna see what happens the 30th. Something tells me I will be definitely calling them again and when I do I plan to ask for a supervisor. Maybe even mention Attorney General
    01-04-11 03:19 PM
    Verizon supervisors and Verizon Executive Relations Department should be able to help you resolve this. You should definitely be able to get the 35 dollar fee waived. Writing IS a great idea as the paper trail is good to have, but you should also try to get Verizon to connect you to Executive Relation, OR to get them to have them call you back. (they are tough to reach)
    01-04-11 04:32 PM
    UPDATE: I called again today and asked to speak to a very high supervisor. I got her name, and direct number which is NOT a 1800 number. She said she has the authority to waive everything and did and told me the current balance is $0.00. She said I will not be receiving more bills and she made sure the account is permanently closed.

I will report back when the next bill comes. I understand this whole ordeal might not be not be closed and technically its all here say. I will add that Verizon has excellent customer service.
    01-04-11 05:31 PM
    At this point a paper trail is going to be the best option in getting this resolved, that way if you have to go to BBB or the Atty Gen, you will have documents showing you were trying to get this resolved IMO.
    EXCELLENT idea!
    01-05-11 02:04 AM
    Thank you, I will take that into consideration if they do not resolve it. Is it free? I didn't see anything about a fee.
    It never costs anything to report a problem to your attorney general.
    01-05-11 10:24 AM
    It never costs anything to report a problem to your attorney general.
    Thanks!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 12:39 PM
    Thanks. I am gonna see what happens the 30th. Something tells me I will be definitely calling them again and when I do I plan to ask for a supervisor. Maybe even mention Attorney General

LOL go ahead and mention "Attorney General". That's always good for a laugh! Guaranteed to leave those employees shaking in their shoes.
    01-05-11 02:12 PM
    Mentioning it to the employees won't likely do anything. But if your attorney general thinks the problem is egregious enough, and also thinks there might be a class involved, then they may very well get involved. If they do, then there would likely be action.

Just do this....for your own benefit....make sure you save any/all emails that have been sent. And also keep a log of any phone calls you have. Etc. Maintain your backup meticulously!!!
    01-05-11 02:28 PM
    This is hardly a case for an Attorney General.

And as far as Verizon screwing this guy? He ordered the equipment and then decided he didn't want it without even activating it?
    01-05-11 02:42 PM

And as far as Verizon screwing this guy? He ordered the equipment and then decided he didn't want it without even activating it?
    Well they expected me to pay for service I never even had. As of yesterday they claim the current balance is $0.00 so we shall see.
    01-05-11 02:45 PM
    Well they expected me to pay for service I never even had. As of yesterday they claim the current balance is $0.00 so we shall see.
    Well there you go. You get on the internet and try to spread ill will and it ends up being taken care of. Gosh darn Verizon anyway.
    01-05-11 02:58 PM
    Well there you go. You get on the internet and try to spread ill will and it ends up being taken care of. Gosh darn Verizon anyway.
    Not my intention. I don't know if its completely taken care of yet. I created this thread asking other people for their advice and opinions. I have gotten excellent feedback and I know what to do if this problem hasn't been taken care of.

So when you order new service and get a new phone and don't even unbox it, yet activate it, you still should have to pay? That's what I don't understand. I really hope that Verizon has taken care of it. I DO COMMEND them on excellent customer service as I said in one of my previous posts here. They seem very knowledgeable and willing to help but will the actual problem be taken care of? It's all here say right now.
    01-05-11 03:04 PM

It could be if Verizon refuses to refund the $435 change on the account, or whatever amount the customer should not be responsible for -- especially if these charges could have an effect on the customer's credit rating. At least in my opinion.

I'm not sure if there is, but the only leg they would have to stand on is if, when the phone was purchased, a contract was signed stating that there would be fees changed in the event of a cancellation. I've never bought a device at Best Buy, so I'm not sure how all that works with the Verizon contract.

While it may be true that the DEVICE was never activated, that doesn't mean that a contract for service wasn't started. Granted, they have the 30 day clause to back out of it, so you shouldn't have any problems there, but I seem to remember always seeing some kind of "re-stocking" fee or something to that nature in the small print, to the tune of $35, should a device be returned in the 30 day window.

Regardless, I hope the OP managed to get all the fees waived -- just having to deal with CS folks on the phone about stuff like this is enough to infuriate the most patient of individuals.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 01-05-11 at 03:10 PM.
    01-05-11 03:05 PM
    It could be if Verizon refuses to refund the $435 change on the account, or whatever amount the customer should not be responsible for -- especially if these charges could have an effect on the customer's credit rating. At least in my opinion.

I'm not sure if there is, but the only leg they would have to stand on is if, when the phone was purchased, a contract was signed stating that there would be fees changed in the event of a cancellation. I've never bought a device at Best Buy, so I'm not sure how all that works with the Verizon contract.

While it may be true that the DEVICE was never activated, that doesn't mean that a contract for service wasn't started. Granted, they have the 30 day clause to back out of it, so you shouldn't have any problems there, but I seem to remember always seeing some kind of "re-stocking" fee or something to that nature in the small print, to the tune of $35, should a device be returned in the 30 day window.

Regardless, I hope the OP managed to get all the fees waived -- just having to deal with CS folks on the phone about stuff like this is enough to infuriate the most patient of individuals.
    Thanks. I hope its all taken care of. I thoroughly read everything and nowhere did it state that on the event of cancellation will the consumer be required to pay for an activation fee if the phone is never activated. Getting the phone through Best Buy is really no different than buying from Verizon. I could understand if I opened the phone activated it and used it for a day and wanted to pay nothing. It doesn't work that way but that wasn't the situation.

Perhaps Verizon always charges people an ETF if within their 30 days then on the following bill automatically credits it back. I really don't know. I have a supervisor's name and direct line which I know I will be calling again once the 3rd bill arrives. I have been told by her my current account balance is $0.00. So we shall see. I really appreciate the kind feedback.
    01-05-11 03:16 PM
    I remember in the old days, when you bought equipment from a reseller that they had you sign your life away should you cancel. Resellers would receive a comission or fee for signing you up and pass some of that fee on as a discount on the phone itself. Celluler One now AT&T would take an impression on your credit card for the 250.00 fee should you decide to cancel and they had you over a barrel if you did so. For those that had any brains they would just cancel the credit card and what they had was nothing. I'm thinking what happened to you was Verizon sent Best Buy the comission on the phone as you may have been at the end of the cycle and they got it right away. To get this fee back or credit to Best Buy they were hoping you would just pay the bill and the credit would follow up between Verizon and Best Buy and they would send you a refund check. I've bought service from Verizon but through a Company owned store and all I was responsible for were thew calls made. I've done the same with AT&T and the same happened. Best Buy's cellphone division is really by an outfit out of Reston, VA. Simplex They own many companies under it's unmbrella with a very horrible track record on everything it does. Don't get me wrong, I've used Best Buy for many reasons as you don't have to fiddle with rebates and the prices are usually much cheaper than walking into a reseller or Verizon. My advice, when you want to test drive a phone, do it with the carrier directly and not a reseller, you'll get much better service in the long run. Try the test drive with the carrier, don't port the number until your 100% sure that the phone and service will work for you. If it works and your satisified with the phone and service, cancel the service and go through a reseller for the cheaper price.
    01-05-11 03:33 PM
    I know from working at Sprint there is a $35 restock for returning within 30 day window. This being because the device once sold can no longer be sold as new etc. Also I know they too would waive all fees BUT activation if xcld w/in 30 days. Activation isnt just turning on a phone. It does as well include creating the acct etc. I know you're probably going to be like wtf a few clicks of a button etc and you're done, but keep in mind VZW is running your credit which has to be paid for, their employees are taking time to create and complete the acct in the system etc.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy or anything of the sorts....just trying to give a little insight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 09:51 PM
    Not my intention. I don't know if its completely taken care of yet. I created this thread asking other people for their advice and opinions. I have gotten excellent feedback and I know what to do if this problem hasn't been taken care of.

So when you order new service and get a new phone and don't even unbox it, yet activate it, you still should have to pay? That's what I don't understand. I really hope that Verizon has taken care of it. I DO COMMEND them on excellent customer service as I said in one of my previous posts here. They seem very knowledgeable and willing to help but will the actual problem be taken care of? It's all here say right now.

This dooooood (Wireless) is a Verizon fanboy buttbuddy. Dont mind him. They can do no wrong in his eyes.
    01-12-11 06:46 PM
    This dooooood (Wireless) is a Verizon fanboy buttbuddy. Dont mind him. They can do no wrong in his eyes.
    Bitter, party of one!
    01-13-11 12:21 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD