This may not be news but I hope it's reassuring. I called a VZ representative and told them that I was calling to pre order my Torch and she began to process this. She said that the screen shows a photo but says N/A. I said that I'm looking to switch the AT&T for the Torch if it's not coming to VZ in the next couple of weeks. She asked if she could call me when she finds out about the pre order. (She said she has a list of people to call). I asked if there's a photo on here screen does it mean it's coming w/in 30 days and she said yes and most likely much sooner. She also reference the whole $249 price and that everyone has been changing to a flat $199 price for new data phones and that I may be able to expect that. Fingers crossed but take it for what it's worth.
    09-02-11 12:54 AM
    I'm not up on the latest and greatest rim phones and their naming methods.

Does a Torch have both a full touch screen AND A REAL KEY KEYBOARD? Or is the supposed Verizon Torch just a "storm-alike" but no physical keyboard?
    09-02-11 01:12 AM

Does a Torch have both a full touch screen AND A REAL KEY KEYBOARD? Or is the supposed Verizon Torch just a "storm-alike" but no physical keyboard?
    It is a full touch screen with no physical keyboard. RIM called it a torch to consolidate brand names, but it is really a next gen. storm. There are tons of threads in the forums under Torch 9860/9850 and a pretty extensive review on this site. There were actually 2 reviews. One done by Kevin and then a follow-up review.

BlackBerry Torch 9850 / 9860 Review, Take 2! | CrackBerry.com
    09-02-11 09:53 AM
    Verizon Torch (model 9850) will not have a physical keyboard. The Torch version with physical keyboard (model 9810) is exclusive to AT&T in the USA (at least so far).
    09-02-11 09:56 AM
    Thanks for the replies - I'm not interested in a touchscreen only device - my Playbook is more than adequate or less than adequate without a physical keyboard, depending on definitions. My 9650 will be fine until I find something to latch onto.
    09-02-11 04:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies - I'm not interested in a touchscreen only device - my Playbook is more than adequate or less than adequate without a physical keyboard, depending on definitions. My 9650 will be fine until I find something to latch onto.
    If that's the case, go 9930. I don't have one but did play around with one. Awesome device. I prefer full touch though so I'm going 9850.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-11 05:54 PM
    Release date is September 15
    09-07-11 09:28 AM
    Release date is September 15
    We were told that's the in store date, but that it could be ordered online starting tomorrow 9/8

Verizon Wireless Introduces the BlackBerry Torch 9850 | CrackBerry.com

(The information from the blog came directly from a Verizon press release, so it SHOULD be accurate, AND it's pretty much the same thing they did with the 9930)
    09-07-11 10:43 AM
    We were told that's the in store date, but that it could be ordered online starting tomorrow 9/8

Verizon Wireless Introduces the BlackBerry Torch 9850 | CrackBerry.com

(The information from the blog came directly from a Verizon press release, so it SHOULD be accurate, AND it's pretty much the same thing they did with the 9930)
    But how are people getting it today?
    09-07-11 11:30 AM
    But how are people getting it today?
    Perhaps they are Verizon employees? The press release from Verizon said tomorrow web sales, next thursday stores!
    09-07-11 12:28 PM
    Perhaps they are Verizon employees? The press release from Verizon said tomorrow web sales, next thursday stores!
    I don't think they work for VZW, because over in the 9850 forum there are people that's saying that they ordered it over the phone and are getting it delivered today or they just received it from FedEx.

How is that possible if it's not available to order until tomorrow?
    09-07-11 12:45 PM

On the forum, we're sort of also calling it the "Fiddy/Sixdy"

Whereas we are calling the 9900/9930 The Gretzky.

09-07-11 01:17 PM
    ordered mine yesterday...go it today...restoring my address book right now....this device is so freaking NICE...
    09-07-11 08:25 PM
    So does this version of the Torch not have a keyboard?

09-07-11 10:45 PM
    As of a few days before the official release date of Sept 8, anyone could call customer service (*611), and if you could persuade the CSR to do a bit of digging, they could process an order for the 9850. No deception was needed; the information was there for the CSR, just not in the usual place.

Of course, this is all moot now with the official release.

And yes, this Torch is pure touch; it does NOT have a physical keyboard.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 09-08-11 at 12:37 PM.
    09-08-11 12:33 PM
    EPIC FAIL.

That thing should have a keyboard. That's why people like BBs (and are still holding on to them). A non-keyboard Torch will probably not beat iPhones and Androids.

Any compelling reason to get a non-keyboard torch over an iPhone or Android? Apps aren't better. Web browsing isn't better. So why buy it?

I really find this frustrating. The only thing holding me back from an iphone is the keyboard. I have an ipad and despise typing on it. iphones are even harder for me to type on. But because my primary use of my phone is text and emails, I need a physical keyboard. *sigh*
    09-19-11 11:19 PM
    That thing should have a keyboard. That's why people like BBs (and are still holding on to them). A non-keyboard Torch will probably not beat iPhones and Androids.
    I happen to prefer v-keyboards over regular keyboard BBs. That's just me. A lot of people feel the same way as I do.

Any compelling reason to get a non-keyboard torch over an iPhone or Android? Apps aren't better.
    No, they're not.

I really find this frustrating. The only thing holding me back from an iphone is the keyboard. I have an ipad and despise typing on it. iphones are even harder for me to type on. But because my primary use of my phone is text and emails, I need a physical keyboard. *sigh*
    V-keyboards aren't that hard to get used to. It took a couple weeks after coming from a Curve to a Storm2 before I had it mastered. Only thing keeping me from jumping ship to iPhone is the lack of BBM, but now that I've played with an iPhone, who knows. BBM may not be worth it. I do love my BB though.
    09-20-11 09:39 AM
    V-keyboards aren't that hard to get used to.
    Yeah , I got used to one after a couple months I'm actually pretty good with it. I still miss the pleasure of a real awesome BB kb tho. Nothing can top it.
    09-21-11 12:50 AM
    Most Storm users will tell you that they can type much faster on their portrait SureType virtual keyboard than anyone on any keyboard device. If you haven't tried, I can understand that you won't believe. But its true.

09-21-11 06:17 PM
    It is all a matter of what you get used to. Give me a Bold and I will fly. I am still getting used to the keyboard on this Droid 3 but everyone says it is a great keyboard. I believe them but I am just used to the Bold keyboard or touchscreen keyboards. But it does feel pretty nice. I do think abandoning Surepress may actually help with a lot of the build quality issues they have been having with the Storm line.

09-22-11 01:18 AM
    Try to write blind with this virtual keyboard... there is nothing fast like the Bold QWERTY keyboard.
    09-22-11 07:05 AM
    Yeah I know. Blackberrys have some of the best keyboards around. I will not dispute that. Probably the best virtual experience has to be (for me at least) the iPhone. There are some good Android keyboards though for screen typing I must admit.

09-23-11 02:00 AM
    Most Storm users will tell you that they can type much faster on their portrait SureType virtual keyboard than anyone on any keyboard device. If you haven't tried, I can understand that you won't believe. But its true.

I can't stand SureType or portrait mode. Even being a woman, I have problems getting my fingers to hit the small keys and having to doubletap the keys to get the correct letter is just annoying as ****. I hated it on my 7100i and I hated having to do it on my other pre-BB non QWERTY kb phones.

I can only type in landscape mode. Biggest screwup BB ever made was predictive text and SureType. SureType may be fine for regular words, but when your job frequently has you type out words such as mine does, it makes me want to feed my BB to the garbage disposal.
    09-23-11 11:05 AM
    I can't stand SureType or portrait mode. Even being a woman, I have problems getting my fingers to hit the small keys and having to doubletap the keys to get the correct letter is just annoying as ****. I hated it on my 7100i and I hated having to do it on my other pre-BB non QWERTY kb phones.

I can only type in landscape mode. Biggest screwup BB ever made was predictive text and SureType. SureType may be fine for regular words, but when your job frequently has you type out words such as mine does, it makes me want to feed my BB to the garbage disposal.
    The iPad is no better. Suretype IMO beats the iPhone and iPad.
    10-07-11 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD