07-31-11 05:06 PM
69 123
tools
    I'm at a gig and a half mid month. So who knows. It will probably be more when I get my next phone soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-11 11:57 AM
    So a 2gb tier could work for you, possibly. Don't forget, if you switch to a non-BB, you usage will be even higher, as RIM compresses the data before it is pushed to you. Thus the same data requests on another phone will "cost" you more than it will on a BB.
    06-10-11 12:41 PM
    I use between 600mb-1.5gb on a bb. Equivalent data on a android phone is 1.5-2+gb (and I actually do less on the android phone, less audio streaming, less browsing).

It's not only the data compression, it's also the flash advertisements, and the fact that the apps are easily 10-50x larger....
    06-10-11 02:23 PM
    I'm actually looking forward to tiered pricing. If other carrier's tiered pricing is any kind of indicator of what to expect, my monthly bill will go down. And if VZW's recent comments that tiered pricing will also allow for family data plans turns out to be true, I'll be even happier.
    I agree; and if what has been leaked is true, 100.00 for 12gb. I will be all over that.
    06-21-11 09:34 AM
    Take this with a grain of salt. Nothing has been released by Verizon since they're still touting the unlimited data for $29.99 on TV

Verizon tiered data plans coming July 7, starting at $30? (update) -- Engadget

Droid-Life is reporting the magic date will be July 7 and has provided supposed pricing details: data plans without tethering would start at $30 for 2GB, while 5GB and 10GB will cost $50 and $80 respectively.
    06-21-11 09:52 AM
    I use between 600mb-1.5gb on a bb. Equivalent data on a android phone is 1.5-2+gb (and I actually do less on the android phone, less audio streaming, less browsing).

It's not only the data compression, it's also the flash advertisements, and the fact that the apps are easily 10-50x larger....
    I have 4 devices that are android on my plan and just added a fifth.
    and rarely have we gone over 3gb.
    I know the limitations suck, but 12gb is a lot of data.
    at 100.00 I can easily throw in a tether plan and still come out slightly
    ahead.
    06-21-11 11:04 AM
    My advise would be to use WiFi whenever possible. I do that already and have only used 500MB of data this month. It would be three times that otherwise.

But, y wife is looking to get a different smartphone. The Verizon CS rep told me that as long as we are keeping the smartphone data plan, just changing what phone we have we will keep the unlimited data. So if you are currently have a smartphone data plan and are renewing your contract you will still have your unlimited data.
    06-21-11 12:35 PM
    I could survive with 2GBs, BUT I prefer to have the comfort of unlimited
    06-21-11 02:28 PM
    06-21-11 03:05 PM
    Here's some confirmation.

06-21-11 03:05 PM
    Here's some confirmation.

Actually, that's a red X

That's the image.

And from what we’ve been told, that’s a forever type of thing – as in, you can upgrade a year from now and still hang out with your best friend, the unlimited data plan. At the same time though, they only gave you one more New Every 2 after it was cancelled, so let’s not get too invested into forever.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 06-21-11 at 04:01 PM.
    06-21-11 03:59 PM
    The million dollar question though is will we get to keep our $29.99 pricing if we move from BlackBerry to another device. Verizon has different data plans for BlackBerry than they do for Android/iPhones due to BIS and RIM infrastructure provisioning. It looks like we can keep our pricing if we stay within the "BlackBerry Data" plan, but might be screwed if we switch to another device, where as a Thunderbolt user for example on an unlimited plan would have no problem switching to the iPhone.

I, like probably many others on the forum have been holding out for the BlackBerry 9930, but if that underwhelms, I am off to the iPhone 5. I am going to be really pissed if I get relegated to tiered pricing, simply because of some semantics between a BB data plan and the one used on every other smart phone.
    i7guy likes this.
    06-23-11 06:21 PM
    The million dollar question though is will we get to keep our $29.99 pricing if we move from BlackBerry to another device. Verizon has different data plans for BlackBerry than they do for Android/iPhones due to BIS and RIM infrastructure provisioning. It looks like we can keep our pricing if we stay within the "BlackBerry Data" plan, but might be screwed if we switch to another device, where as a Thunderbolt user for example on an unlimited plan would have no problem switching to the iPhone.

I, like probably many others on the forum have been holding out for the BlackBerry 9930, but if that underwhelms, I am off to the iPhone 5. I am going to be really pissed if I get relegated to tiered pricing, simply because of some semantics between a BB data plan and the one used on every other smart phone.
    This is the million dollar question on my mind as well.
    06-23-11 10:46 PM
    You'll be able to. They're gonna make one SFO for all smartphones so it will no longer require a feature change for the same data plan.

06-24-11 12:25 AM
    You'll be able to. They're gonna make one SFO for all smartphones so it will no longer require a feature change for the same data plan.

Mario would know better than I, considering HIS source, but I'm hearing the same thing, yes you'll be able to keep your plan, at least for now.
    06-24-11 08:54 AM
    I could survive with 2GBs, BUT I prefer to have the comfort of "unlimited"
    Fix your post?
    06-24-11 09:49 AM
    I was on the phone with VZW customer service and was told that in fact you will not be grandfathered in. This is especially true if you have an international plan.
    06-24-11 05:32 PM
    I was on the phone with VZW customer service and was told that in fact you will not be grandfathered in. This is especially true if you have an international plan.
    Wrong! And right...they eliminated the unlimited plan for international a while back.

06-24-11 07:02 PM
    Mario would know better than I, considering HIS source, but I'm hearing the same thing, yes you'll be able to keep your plan, at least for now.
    This is not was customer service told me on the phone (I know they can be unreliable). I was told that the bb plan and the smartphone plan are separate and switching between the two will knock you out of unlimited and into tiered. This is a big deal for me as I switch between a bb and an android phone depending on who I am working with on a given project. Some teams use bb and bbm and others don't. I switch all the time. I was told I should stick with the plan I want to stay unlimited on 7/7. That sucks. I hope Mario has a better source than the rep I talked to.
    06-24-11 11:06 PM
    i'm really hoping i can switch my unlim bb plan to a unlim smartphone plan, im up for my upgrade ON the 7th! Any chance you think theyd let me do it a day early...lol, either way it sucks to see thier letting go of the unlim... i don't use much data, but id rather pay and be safe knowing i can never go over
    06-25-11 10:09 PM
    Verizon's tiered data plans are more expensive than AT&T. I am not staying with Verizon if I am told I can't have my unlimited at time of upgrade next year. They get a nice chunk of my money every month and I am not paying more. I would very much consider moving to Sprint if they continue to keep unlimited data . I have sold wireless for multi carriers and Sprint was one of them. I do prefer Verizon, but now it boils down to the buck. I think Verizon will lose a lot of customers because of this. They could have easily had tiered plans AS WELL as still keep unlimited data. Having a choice for which is better for the individual is better than doing away with unlimited and just having tiered plans. Verizon claims to be cutting edge and also caring about their customer. Bottom line, is they only care about THEIR BOTTOM LINE. I have emailed my dislike of this change and I think if others do the same, then maybe something will happen. A lot can be done if people do ban together.
    blackberry-pimp likes this.
    06-27-11 08:00 PM
    VZW stated that current Unlimited plan users will be grandfather in. You will keep unlimited data so long as you keep a smartphone data plan. They also announced that current 3G data plan users will keep unlimited data if they switch to 4G after July 7th.

So long story short, everyone sit back, relax, and enjoy your unlimited data. it isn't going anywhere.
    06-28-11 09:29 AM
    Settle down children!
    06-28-11 10:02 AM
    VZW stated that current Unlimited plan users will be grandfather in. You will keep unlimited data so long as you keep a smartphone data plan. They also announced that current 3G data plan users will keep unlimited data if they switch to 4G after July 7th.

So long story short, everyone sit back, relax, and enjoy your unlimited data. it isn't going anywhere.
    Now do you mean as long as they keep a smartphone data plan? So come my next upgrade, and I keep a BB I'll still have unlimited? So its not grandfathered in until you upgrade and sign a new contract?
    06-28-11 11:33 AM
    Has Verizon officially stated that BB data plans will be treated as all other smartphone data plans and BB users switching over to other smartphones(Android,iPhone,WP7,Palm) will be considered grandfathered in with unlimited data? I've been told twice(at two different stores) that BB users would have to switch before 7/7 to take advantage of non-BB unlimited smartphone data packages.I understand they might be just trying to make a sale but there's a lot at stake here.

Last edited by experiment626; 06-28-11 at 03:14 PM.
    06-28-11 03:09 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD