07-31-11 04:06 PM
69 123
tools
    Forgive me if I am wrong/ignorant, don't want to get everyone yelling at me, but if Verizon moves to tiered pricing does it matter for bb users?

I thought that we use the internet from RIM, and thus it is not Verizons network, and so we wouldn't have to pay more

Am I wrong? I hope not...
    05-19-11 02:27 PM
    Okay heres how it works.

BB Data goes through proxies. This is why they cost so much.
    The proxies not only make the information hard for hackers to read, but they compress the information. For example, a 100kb webpage on an iPhone would be about 33kb on a BB. EVEN IF IT WAS THE EXACT SAME PAGE.

For the most part it won't matter.
    But if you tether. then it will.
    santi29402 likes this.
    05-19-11 02:30 PM
    Will we have to pay for the tiered pricing tho? Or will it still be $30 for unlimited?
    05-19-11 04:58 PM
    Forgive me if I am wrong/ignorant, don't want to get everyone yelling at me, but if Verizon moves to tiered pricing does it matter for bb users?

I thought that we use the internet from RIM, and thus it is not Verizons network, and so we wouldn't have to pay more

Am I wrong? I hope not...
    Yes, you are wrong.

All the data still goes through the Verizon network.

Tiered data plans (if/when implemented) would apply across the board. But current plans likely will be grandfathered.
    05-19-11 07:33 PM
    The way things are going, my phone payment will be more than my car payment.
    05-20-11 09:10 PM
    My cell bill is already more a month than the first car i owned in 1967 cost in total!
    05-20-11 09:39 PM
    The way things are going, my phone payment will be more than my car payment.
    But you're still getting a great deal because your car needs gas/oil/other maintenance. Your Blackberry gives you more hours of enjoyment...

PG
    05-21-11 09:48 PM
    Unlimited Data Plans will not be grandfathered. Same with AT&T. Sooner or later we will all be paying for what we use.

Report: Verizon to end unlimited iPhone data plans this summer | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews

also

"This fact was confirmed through the announcement of Chief Financial Officer of the company, named Fran Shammo at the Summit of the Reuters Global Technology. According to Reuters, all the heavy data customers will have to pay more for the services and this will follow the so-called discontinuation. In regard to Cellular carriers, they will also be moved from unlimited plans. "

Users who do not believe it are in denial. And no this will not allow you to break your contract. At&t will be doing the same thing.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 05-23-11 at 05:16 AM.
    05-23-11 05:13 AM
    I believe unlimited plans will be going away, but they can't just change your plan. They will wait until you have to upgrade and tell you that your data plan is no longer supported. This happened to me a while back when i had a super grandfathered voice plan through cell one. When I upgraded to a new phone they made me switch plans citing "your old plan doesn't account for the new types of phone".
    05-23-11 05:59 AM
    I am sure they WILL come up with a reason. Likely more speed like 4g, but in the end they will get us. (sad)
    05-23-11 06:09 AM
    I'm actually looking forward to tiered pricing. If other carrier's tiered pricing is any kind of indicator of what to expect, my monthly bill will go down. And if VZW's recent comments that tiered pricing will also allow for family data plans turns out to be true, I'll be even happier.
    05-23-11 11:26 AM
    I may switch if it's reasonable and actually cheaper. I hope it's more than 2GB like AT&T is. I don't think I use that much, esp. with wi-fi, but I'm not sure.
    05-24-11 12:31 PM
    But current plans likely will be grandfathered.
    Lets hope this is true. I've heard the old $15/150mb plans are being phased out on contract renewals. They could conceivably make the tiered plans mandatory on renewal of the old unlimited plan. Get a new phone/get a new plan. I certainly hope not, just sayin' they can do whatever they want.
    On the other hand I see T-mobile is now offering a tiered plan with 5gb for $30. More than enough for most. 2gb for $20. Still more than enough for alot of folks. Not sayin' verizon will follow them , but wonder if they could lose some subscribers if they charge more for less. The verizon is the best network for coverage in the USA, so I'm in no matter what. Good coverage is more important than cheaper plans IMO.
    05-24-11 02:25 PM
    Yeah I'd be cool paying $30 for like 5GB or so. I'm hoping the new plans will thottle instead of charging overages. I don't want to pay another $10 if I go 1kb over.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    05-25-11 06:27 AM
    I am sure they WILL come up with a reason. Likely more speed like 4g, but in the end they will get us. (sad)
    you say that cause you're prolly used to ATT screwing you over then scrambling to come up with a reason why.

and they can't just change your plan out of the blue in the middle of your bill cycle.
    05-25-11 05:38 PM
    its so lame. at the height of AT&T's monopoly on the iPhone they killed unlimited plans. Now Verizon rolls out 4G allowing easier access to high speed data, reeling AT&T converts in with Verizon iPhones and 29.99 unlimited data signs in the stores... then they put a leash on it as soon as you get it.

I still have a non-wifi Blackberry and thank my unlimited data plan every time I load up Pandora and get the warning about incurring high amounts of data. suggesting I use wifi if I dont have an unlimited plan. even if i get a new phone, I'm not looking forward to seeking out hotspots just to listen to music.
    06-01-11 10:13 PM
    I don't have a BB but I sure don't want to see tiered pricing. I used almost 13gb last month.
    06-02-11 08:57 PM
    The data limits suck a whole lot more on a non BB... Apps are larger, so simply downloading apps again uses easily 10x the data or more. All data is uncompressed. Flash works on websites so a simple webpage can balloon to 10x the data (per page) even if it's only advertisements...

It gets out of control real fast...
    06-02-11 09:00 PM
    That it does. It sure doesn't help that I never, ever use mobile web pages either. If I can have the internet in the palm of my hand, I want the good internet.
    06-02-11 10:12 PM
    tbh i actually dislike most full pages more than the mobile ones...

Kotaku for example uses the god awful new gawker style, so I use the mobile website even on a PC. XDA is horrible to navigate on a mobile browser because it's just a huge list of devices (forums in general are laid out very poorly unless they have a mobile version, which most don't). Pretty sure most people use tapatalk or the xda forum app. It's unpleasant even if your browser can render it quickly just because of the layout.

Other sites have so many flash ads that 70% of the loading, javascript and images isn't the site content itself, it's stupid...

Depends on the site though...
    Last edited by papped; 06-03-11 at 12:14 AM.
    06-03-11 12:11 AM
    I may switch if it's reasonable and actually cheaper. I hope it's more than 2GB like AT&T is. I don't think I use that much, esp. with wi-fi, but I'm not sure.
    When you use wi-fi, you're not using the mobile network data. Nothing over wi-fi should ever be charged against your data usage from the network. If it is, i suggest a thorough investigation as to why it's happening.

That it does. It sure doesn't help that I never, ever use mobile web pages either. If I can have the internet in the palm of my hand, I want the good internet.
    Not to mention other things in the palm of your hand....
    06-08-11 09:46 AM
    My cell bill is already more a month than the first car i owned in 1967 cost in total!
    And what's so surprising about this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-11 02:11 PM
    How are att customers handling it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-11 10:20 PM
    I will be leaving Verizon when my contract is up due to them switching to tiered data plans. I don't even use 1GB a month but I just don't like it at all.
    06-10-11 07:40 AM
    Why? We do NOT yet know (i think) what the tiers will be. And perhaps you could actually lower your bill.
    06-10-11 10:00 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD