Hey guys,

I've heard stories, myths about Verizon slapping a hefty charge on those caught tethering using alternative solutions besides their $30/monthly service. However, I can't seem to find any concrete proof of this practice.

I figured as long as most people stayed under 5GB use per month, VZW will let you fly by w/o harassing you. Anyone who thinks differently out there?

Thanks
    05-20-10 05:05 PM
    There was one person who posted a long thread a year ago about a huge bill for using Tether. But the more he posted, the less credible his story seemed. I have not seen any posts by anyone since claiming to have been billed for excess data. For a time, Verizon actually sold Tether in their on-line store. I don't think they do anymore, but I haven't looked recently. If you follow your plan, you are not likely to have a problem, but it's your bill.
    05-20-10 05:14 PM
    Was this really worth a new thread?
    05-20-10 07:46 PM
    Of course if they really cared to look, theoretically they'd know based on what you were doing online, ie things that you couldn't do/use on your mobile like large file downloads, exe files, etc.

I believe it is against your contract to do it, so if they really cared to look and found it, you might be up the creek...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 09:28 AM
    I think as long as you don't go over 5GB, you should be fine. Yes, they could look at your usage and maybe tell that you were tethering, but why would they even bother to look if you're not raising any red flags?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD