Hi all

Newbie here needing some advice. I'm currently with Verizon and have a BB World. Yes I know it's ancient but I love it and it's never let me down.

Anyway my contract is up with Verizon this week and I really want to get the Tour but it's not shown on my available upgrade list. I've read the thread on that and know I'm not alone with that issue.

I'm not so stuck on the Tour that I wouldn't leave Verizonto get it but it's defo time for me to get a new BB,. I've never really had any issues with Verizon in the four years I've been with them. Good coverage where I live and can only think of one outage overseas. It does sometimes take a couple of resets when I've landed in Europe but that's about it.

My lifestyle is that my job takes me to Europe every week and I'm gone for six days, home for four so obviously need a plan with good international coverage and all those on the go features. I do get a 19% corp discount with Verizon and ATT&T but could live without it as long as I can get a good deal on unlimited roaming data with another carrier. I don't make that many calls from Europe it's really just the email feature.

Any recommendations?
    07-05-09 09:03 PM
    Have you called a CR and asked the possibilities for a Tour. What you wrote didn't make sense about your contract being up soon and the Tour is not on a list. Never heard about restrictions on the type of phone someone can buy, unless it's because the two years are not up yet. Call a rep and get the straight scoop. My early upgrade (1 year) isn't until after the 14th of July, so I can't upgrade until than. However, my wife's phone is eligible now and her two years isn't until mid-august. Again, call and speak with someone.
    Last edited by jrod3055; 07-05-09 at 09:14 PM.
    07-05-09 09:11 PM
    Have you called a CR and asked the possibilities for a Tour. What you wrote didn't make sense about your contract being up soon and the Tour is not on a list. Never heard about restrictions on the type of phone someone can buy. Call a rep and get the straight scoop from a human being.
    I probably didn't explain it well. When I click on "upgrade your phone", the Tour wasn't on the list of available phones. It's currently only available to people taking out a new contract, not renewing.

When I called Customer Service last week they said they didn't have any info on when it would be available but from reading the lengthy thread on this subject here it seems most current customers have experienced the same thing.
    07-05-09 09:15 PM
    I read some those threads as well. After reading the "back and forward", I called Tuesday and again yesterday. Both times I was given the same information - wait until the 14th (for me) of July and place my order. I will get the $70 bucks discount. But in my case because I am doing a yearly vice every two-years, I have to pay an additional $20 bucks for some type of fee. So the phone is 269.99 minus 70.00 plus 20 bucks plus tax for me.
    07-05-09 09:22 PM
    I wonder if I can not renew my contract and then sign straight back up again to get the new customer deal? Can you do that sort of thing?
    07-05-09 09:25 PM
    I think you are missing the point - you will pay the same price either way.
    07-05-09 09:30 PM
    I dont get why the Tour isnt on your list! I go to upgrade and it is there!!!
    07-05-09 10:02 PM
    crackberry did posted a blog about how the tour is now available for update with verizon customers, not just those getting new contracts.
    07-05-09 10:39 PM
    Yup initially exisiting customers weren't eligible to upgrade but verizon has changed their policy on that. It might take a while to reflect on your online records, so I would call a customer service rep to ask. They might be able to do the upgrade for you on the phone once the tour launches.

I don't know what travelling with a verizon phone is like and how their international plans are but then again I don't know a whole lot about T-Mobile either. Definitely look into international plans for both, though I'm sure both will be rather pricey.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 10:49 PM
    I called them and you still can't preorder if you have an employee discount with any of the corps that have Verizon deals. The price is $269 with the $70 mail in rebate.

My contract is up on the 10th so I'm going to call T-mobile and see what sort of deals they have.
    07-06-09 09:25 AM
    You can always switch over to AT&T, get your corp discount, and buy a bold. If believe you can purchase a bold for $199 at best buy with a new contract on AT&T and they use GSM which is standard in Europe
    07-06-09 10:43 AM
    I left Verizon three years ago and moved to T-Mobile after getting tired of having the features on my phones disabled so that they could nickle and dime me to use them. I also had several issues over the six years I was with them when it came time to upgrade my hardware.

T-Mobile's coverage for me has been great in the urban and suburban areas, but it is not as good as Verizon's in the really rural areas.

I personally have been really happy with T-Mobile so far and they have a pretty good selection of devices. They also have excellent customer service and are really good about unlocking your phone if you request it.

I have to admit I had thought about moving back to Verizon when I heard the Tour was coming out, but after giving it some more thought I decided to stay with T-Mobile. I have read some rumors that T-Mobile is going to be getting a 3G BB later this year, which I am really hoping is the Onyx.

Good luck whatever you decide.
    07-06-09 10:45 AM
    That's like asking BMW or Honda. Both are good and will get you where you need to go, but one will do it faster and the other will do it cheaper LOL
    07-06-09 12:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD