12-18-10 08:37 AM
35 12
tools
    Verizon Strikes Out in Smartphones [Updated] | asymco

Any theories on why VZW is selling fewer smartphones of all platforms compared to AT&T's iPhone sales?
    12-14-10 02:42 PM
    Cost of plans might be part of it. Maybe ATT's tiered plan is more popular.

I suspect part of it may be just not having one device with the name recognition of Apple's iPhone as well. Everyone has heard of it, even if they've been living under a rock. Not necessarily everyone has heard of Android yet.

I would be surprised if it wasnt a combination of factors contributing to it, but one is hard to dispute: iPhone brand/advertising and the fact that its currently only available on one US carrier.

The real question to me is: What happens to ATT iPhone sales if/when iPhone really does come to Verizon.

My boss just got a Torch recently and is really not liking it. The device itself is fine but he is absolutely frustrated with the network coverage being as good as the Verizon berry he had previously.
    12-14-10 03:56 PM
    verizon is striking out in smartphones because going in to 2010 they had all their chips on RIM. It was only when they put their chips on Android that they became competitive. RIM at Verizon = burnt toast.
    12-14-10 04:11 PM
    verizon is striking out in smartphones because going in to 2010 they had all their chips on RIM. It was only when they put their chips on Android that they became competitive. RIM at Verizon = burnt toast.
    +1 The Storm line didn't help Verizon's BB sales.
    12-14-10 04:15 PM
    If that is the case, why are they still selling less Android devices (by all manufacturers) and less smartphones from all manufacturers and across all platforms?

It looks like the BlackBerry defectors left VZW altogether, rather than getting Android devices.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    12-14-10 04:16 PM

I suspect part of it may be just not having one device with the name recognition of Apple's iPhone as well. Everyone has heard of it, even if they've been living under a rock. Not necessarily everyone has heard of Android yet.

I would be surprised if it wasnt a combination of factors contributing to it, but one is hard to dispute: iPhone brand/advertising and the fact that its currently only available on one US carrier.

The real question to me is: What happens to ATT iPhone sales if/when iPhone really does come to Verizon.

My boss just got a Torch recently and is really not liking it. The device itself is fine but he is absolutely frustrated with the network coverage being as good as the Verizon berry he had previously.
    I do not see how folks could not know about Android. Those "Droid does" commercials were on TV constantly.

12-14-10 04:18 PM
    I do not see how folks could not know about Android. Those "Droid does" commercials were on TV constantly.

Many of these same people probably already had ipods and Macs and the like. They knew what they were getting into with Apple, and wanted a simple device that could do what they want. Even around here Android devices seem to be thought of by some as harder to use efficiently or whatever. Maybe these folks are afraid to try them.

I guess you're right though, they must have pushed their commercials pretty hard for me to have seen one or two of 'em, since I've not really watched commercials lately (thank you DVR lol) when it can be avoided.

I wonder if the limitations of the CDMA network with regard to no simultaneous voice/data usage had something to do with it.

Someone who is more knowledgable about advertising and its' effect on people will have to analyze it and come up with an answer.
    12-14-10 07:47 PM
    Many of these same people probably already had ipods and Macs and the like. They knew what they were getting into with Apple, and wanted a simple device that could do what they want. Even around here Android devices seem to be thought of by some as harder to use efficiently or whatever. Maybe these folks are afraid to try them.
    Perhaps the perceived difficulty of using Android device did have some effect. I would not say Macs have much impact, since 90% of folks have PCs.

I guess you're right though, they must have pushed their commercials pretty hard for me to have seen one or two of 'em, since I've not really watched commercials lately (thank you DVR lol) when it can be avoided.

I wonder if the limitations of the CDMA network with regard to no simultaneous voice/data usage had something to do with it.

Someone who is more knowledgable about advertising and its' effect on people will have to analyze it and come up with an answer.
    I do not even have a TV at home, but I saw those Droid commercials while watching sports games at family members' and friends' houses, or while watching at the local sports bar.
    12-14-10 07:58 PM

So you're saying this is an ATT issue. Would have have been satisified with the iphone?
    12-14-10 09:50 PM
    If that is the case, why are they still selling less Android devices (by all manufacturers) and less smartphones from all manufacturers and across all platforms?

It looks like the BlackBerry defectors left VZW altogether, rather than getting Android devices.

simple. rim left verizon in a lurch because they had no good phones. so they radically shifted gears to offer android. but android is offered at every carrier in the US. verizon will have iphone and low mid and high end android for 2011 plus LTE android. they did very well considering that rim left them high and DRY.
    12-14-10 10:39 PM
    Interesting article but the 3rd strike against verizon that Android is not competitive vs. iOS is completely untrue. Android is the fastest growing smartphone OS and is showing no signs of stopping. By this time next year I believe android will overtake apple as the most popular OS platform even if verizon gets the iphone. I see Android as the future of smartphones atleast here in the US.
    12-14-10 10:57 PM
    One reason would be that there actually are people out there (me included) who don't watch much tv. I'm sure the numbers who aren't tv watchers are not impressive but they're definitely out there. That's just one possibility, I'm sure there are more.
    12-15-10 06:17 AM
    So you're saying this is an ATT issue. Would have have been satisified with the iphone?
    AT&T is known for their poor coverage. I don't know where they get off with their commercials that talk about how they cover 97% of the country. That remaining 3% is the biggest 3% I've ever seen. I want a Torch really bad and if it weren't for their coverage issues I would have jumped ship awhile back.
    12-15-10 06:23 AM
    I have a feeling Verizon keeps just enough bb's to keep their business clientel happy but are banking on the droid and iphone for the average consumer.
    12-15-10 07:55 AM
    Well, lets see....

VZW stopped the instant online discount ($100) for the high end phones.

VZW doesn't have a nights starting at 7pm option.

VZW plans are not as cheap as Sprint/ATT.

Hmmm... It all adds up to me...
    12-15-10 09:05 AM

And I know that the majority of people don't know that "Droid" runs "Android"

I know it sounds crazy, but most people don't care what OS is on their phone, they just want the thing to work and do what they expect of it.
    12-15-10 09:28 AM
    AT&T is known for their poor coverage. I don't know where they get off with their commercials that talk about how they cover 97% of the country. That remaining 3% is the biggest 3% I've ever seen. I want a Torch really bad and if it weren't for their coverage issues I would have jumped ship awhile back.
    I hear it all the time that people have problems with AT&T coverage - but, if that were truly the case, then they wouldn't have so many subs. I've had AT&T/Cingular/AT&T for 10 years now, I travel a lot for work, and I've not seen the coverage issues that people ***** about on these forums. My wife has verizon, and drops more calls than me.
    12-15-10 09:35 AM
    I hear it all the time that people have problems with AT&T coverage - but, if that were truly the case, then they wouldn't have so many subs. I've had AT&T/Cingular/AT&T for 10 years now, I travel a lot for work, and I've not seen the coverage issues that people ***** about on these forums. My wife has verizon, and drops more calls than me.
    I've had both and in my experience, AT&T sucks!
    12-15-10 09:36 AM
    Well, lets see....

VZW stopped the instant online discount ($100) for the high end phones.

VZW doesn't have a nights starting at 7pm option.

VZW plans are not as cheap as Sprint/ATT.

Hmmm... It all adds up to me...
    I doubt if the night calling starting at 7pm would make much of a difference for smartphone users. Most smartphone users do not use voice nearly as much as data. AT&T also starts night calling at 9pm.

AT&T is expensive for people who use a lot of data and do not have the grandfathered unlimited plans.
    Last edited by lak611; 12-15-10 at 11:27 AM.
    12-15-10 11:20 AM
    I could see AT&T being better for folks who travel internationally. Any AT&T smartphone could be unlocked and used overseas on a prepaid plan with a local carrier.

VZW only has a few BlackBerry and Windows Mobile devices that are dual CDMA/GSM. None of the VZW Android devices are dual CDMA/GSM.
    12-15-10 11:23 AM
    One reason would be that there actually are people out there (me included) who don't watch much tv. I'm sure the numbers who aren't tv watchers are not impressive but they're definitely out there. That's just one possibility, I'm sure there are more.
    I do not even have a TV in my house, but I still saw and remembered those VZW Droid commercials. I've also seen billboards and ads on websites for VZW Android devices, so I do not think it is a marketing issue.
    12-15-10 11:26 AM
    12-15-10 11:31 AM
    Are you always in large cities?
    12-15-10 11:41 AM
    I could see AT&T being better for folks who travel internationally. Any AT&T smartphone could be unlocked and used overseas on a prepaid plan with a local carrier.

VZW only has a few BlackBerry and Windows Mobile devices that are dual CDMA/GSM. None of the VZW Android devices are dual CDMA/GSM.
    Yes they do. The Droid Pro and the Droid 2 Global...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 11:55 AM
    None of the VZW Android devices are dual CDMA/GSM.
    The Droid Pro and the Droid 2 Global
    Lol, I didn't even see that.
    12-15-10 11:58 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD