I have a question about these "Straight Talk" pre-paid phones that they sell at Walmart. First off if you don't know, these are phones that you pay for minutes month by month. There is an unlimited plan for $45 (calls/texts/web), and a $30 plan (not sure what that includes though).

Well apparently these phones are on the Verizon network. If this is the case, how come I get charged for calls and texts (I have a friend who bought one) between her and I? Wouldn't that be mobile to mobile. I really thought that's how it would work since Boost is essentially the Sprint network, and they get free mobile to mobile don't they?

Sorry this might seem like a rant but I just don't understand why mobile to mobile, in this case, wouldn't be free.
    01-29-10 10:47 AM
    This site might help.

VZW Prepaid
    01-29-10 10:50 AM
    This site might help.

VZW Prepaid
    The VZW prepaid phones are something completely different that Straight Talk, Even though the Straight Talk phones are prepaid phones on the VZW network. Sorry, might sound confusing, but that's basically what they are (or what they're made out to be anyway). Thanks though.
    01-29-10 10:57 AM
    If you enter your friend's phone number into this website, you will be able to see if that phone number is part of the "Mobile to Mobile" Calling Family.

Verizon Wireless - Mobile to Mobile Calling Family

My guess is that it is not.
    01-29-10 11:15 AM
    nvm it worked. I still don't understand though why it's not in the "calling family" when it uses the VZW network.
    Last edited by jabbs1; 01-29-10 at 11:27 AM. Reason: I'm retarded
    01-29-10 11:24 AM
    From their Web site, "Straight Talk is a registered trademark of Tracfone Wireless, Inc. 2009 Tracfone Wireless, Inc." Welcome To Straight Talk

They are not affiliated with VZW.
    01-29-10 11:25 AM
    Maybe this site will help. It appears that straight talk leases or resells tower space, This means you are using the VZW network, but do not get all advantages. This is not fact, but just my opinion.

Straight Talk
    01-29-10 11:28 AM
    lak611 & lastraid thanks for that info. Makes sense now.
    01-29-10 12:00 PM
    Verizon leases out their network towers to companies for a fee but the companies use their their own software for billing and activation to put it in a short answer.
    01-29-10 11:19 PM
    My friend has a Straight Talk phone plan and she pays $45 for unlimited texts, unlimited calls, and unlimited browsing. The browser, while not spectacular, is functional. Their selection of phones is minimal, but, for those who primarily use their phones as phones (LoL, Cell Phones can actually make calls? LoL.) will find Straight Talk economical and functional especially with the added luxury of browsing anytime they feel like it. DANG! Are they going to be getting Blackberries anytime soon? LoL.
    01-31-10 01:18 AM
    They are a trademark of Tracfone and they rent verizon network airspace i believe.
    11-14-10 09:01 AM
    Great response...10 months later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-10 11:01 AM
    Great response...10 months later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    hahahahaha
    11-14-10 12:12 PM
    nvm it worked. I still don't understand though why it's not in the "calling family" when it uses the VZW network.
    Straight Talk is a separate company that is reselling service through VZW. Accordingly, calls handled by VZW for Straight Talk are switched differently. The calls may be handled by VZW, but the call is not a VZW call. Straight Talk is a Trac Phone company, so it would make sense if the call were back hauled to their switch, or if they leased time on VZW switches.

It's sort of like when CLECs (Competitive Local Exchange Carriers) resold service on landlines, the bandwidth may be VZW's, but the switch is someone else's.
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 11-20-10 at 02:14 PM.
    11-20-10 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD