Be very careful you guys. I went in today to my local Verizon store because I have had the SIM Card Error on my phone. I can't really afford to upgrade right now, so I was just going to get it replaced. My New Every 2 was in January 2010. The rep said that since this was my eight phone that he would replace it with a brand new storm. He gave me the new phone and set it up for me.

On my way home I got to thinking, why did he need manager approval?

Curious, I called 611 and found out that my NE2 had been reset and was now June 2011. I was outraged! At no time did the Rep mention that it would reset my NE2. I would have dealt with the SIM card error

I went back to the store and spoke to the manager who said that since it was a new replacement that the computer automatically resets the NE2. I told her that was unacceptable. She went back in the back and was gone for about 20 minutes.

She came out and apologized and said that she reset it back to January 2010. I left the store with my new storm and my NE2 back to Jan 2010.

Just be careful if you run into the same issue. Verify that they do not change your NE2.
    10-28-09 04:05 PM
    Changing your NE2 is the policy. Thats because you got a NIB replacement. You are lucky that she broke policy for you
    10-28-09 05:37 PM
    Changing your NE2 is the policy. Thats because you got a NIB replacement. You are lucky that she broke policy for you
    I think the point here is not that it happened, it is that it was not disclosed.
    10-28-09 05:43 PM
    I think the point here is not that it happened, it is that it was not disclosed.
    "Verify that they do not change your NE2"

trying to point out that they do it cause thats the policy
    10-28-09 06:13 PM
    They don't do it - the system does it.

Still, the customer should be told.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 06:32 PM
    not trying to say that the customer shouldnt be told, just trying to point out that thats the way they do it cause thats the way its supposed to be done
    10-28-09 06:39 PM
    Agree with you that its policy because it is w a fru to new... Whether he was even qualified for that. Resetting the ne2 20mo out from today... HOWEVER it was not disclosed to him and that rep did not gain customer agreement in the right way. I would have tried to do the same thing the 2nd rep did.
    Now you know I'm stingy on policy as much as any rep here but he would have not accepted the new phone if he had known and he did right by checking.
    I see it all the time over the phone someone gets fru2new and isn't told about the ne2 reset. Most never even bother looking and checking like this guy did. They would have been glassy eyed and drooling over a shiny new phone and not even thought about it till it was too late.
    For once I shall eat my hat and say KUDOS customer.

10-28-09 06:50 PM
    Well after all that I got home and the stupid phone would not charge. I tried all of my chargers and it said that it could not charge my phone.

I went back to Verizon the next day and spoke to the manager. She told me that she would upgrade me to the storm 2. I asked her how much it was going to cost and she said that I had had enough problems with the S1 and that she would upgrade me for free.

I know have a S2 and I love it!
    10-30-09 04:58 PM
    Nice! Thanks for the heads up, too!
    10-30-09 05:30 PM
    Well after all that I got home and the stupid phone would not charge. I tried all of my chargers and it said that it could not charge my phone.

I went back to Verizon the next day and spoke to the manager. She told me that she would upgrade me to the storm 2. I asked her how much it was going to cost and she said that I had had enough problems with the S1 and that she would upgrade me for free.

I know have a S2 and I love it!

Hopefully you stay with us for a long time for the money we've invested in you.....
    10-30-09 06:11 PM
    Hopefully you stay with us for a long time for the money we've invested in you.....
    You know, I came from ATT network and after that, I might as well have not have had a cell phone. I have been very happy with Verizon and don't plan on going anywhere. I didn't ask for the upgrade. I was on duty and had to leave to go on a call. When I came back she had it done.

The customer service in most of the stores around here is pretty good. There are a few bad apples just like anywhere.

I have to admit though, I had my original S1 for 6 months prior to having the first issue. It was definitely a much better phone with 5.0 though.

I love the S2 and think that it is a major leap forward for RIM.
    10-30-09 08:24 PM
    I appreciate that but we've probably spent over $1000 on you just since you got your S1 .
    10-30-09 08:30 PM
    $1000 retail I VZW paid nowhere close to that.

10-30-09 10:25 PM
    I disagree, we do not get a significant discount off the FRP price of phones. Also, with all his FRU's, all the time of the employees, the calls into CS etc. It could easily total $1000
    10-30-09 10:41 PM
    The difference between that retail & the actual wholesale is huge. I will guarantee you the price VZW is paying is less than $100.

Now, I do not know exactly, but AT&T pays right about $68 for a Bold.

The wholesale price on devices like the TP2 is much higher - hence the $199 price, even until just recently on the original Omnia.

Haven't you ever wondered why there isn't a price-break for signing a contract while bringing your own phone? It is because there is no subsidy or nearly no subsidy to amortize.
    Toss in the VZW claimed cost of $8/call - say he makes four calls & for simplicity, we call it $100 per phone - he bought his original, remember - and we are less than $150, a far cry from $1000.

If his transaction cost VZW anywhere close to your claim of $1000, they would then be amortizing about $50/month ($1000/20 until his next upgrade), it would be a stupid business decision to not just let him pay the ETF & walk away.

It is simple economics as compared to what the company puts out in their internal figures that you see. It is much like buying a car from a dealer who tells you BELOW INVOICE! There are so many pads, incentives & PACs on that car, invoice is well above actual cost.

10-30-09 10:59 PM
    Just curious if you have any links to what Telco's actually pay for phones? From all the training, leadership meetings, manufacturers coming to my work etc.. they've all told us that we pay close to retail price for the phone.
    10-31-09 04:13 AM
    Just curious if you have any links to what Telco's actually pay for phones? From all the training, leadership meetings, manufacturers coming to my work etc.. they've all told us that we pay close to retail price for the phone.
    Again - claimed "invoice" vs actual.

As for the link, let me go dig up the list of manufacturers' wholesale page links for carriers out shopping for quantity deals.

10-31-09 11:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD