I will be getting a storm on Monday to upgrade my 8330,so it's true the GPS is wide open on it? I can use 3rd party GPS apps on it? I want to get some trimble apps for hiking. anyone use that or geocache navigator on it ?

before you all tell me not too, the 8330 is wigging out since it got wet, I'll still use as backup if needed
    07-08-09 08:30 PM
    VZNavigator is not free. You can turn "Location On" in your phone without being charged for it. If you can find a 3rd party app to install on your Storm that does the same thing as the VZNav, then yes, you could say the GPS is "wide open". However, if you use the GPS through VZNavigator, no, it is not free. More likely than not, it's going to be hard to find a GPS program that you can install on your device that works like Navigator for free, since that company would be loosing out significantly on the money they would have to pay to keep up GPS servers, update maps, etc. but if you know Trimble already has an app for the Storm, you should be fine.

Also, the Storm is a great phone under the following conditions:
    1. Keep everything stored on the memory card (I'm sure you know this since you already have a Blackberry)
    2. Install QuickPull so it does a reset once a day (mine is set for 2am since I'm asleep)
    3. Make sure you are closing down your running applications when you're not using them
    Last edited by Lady.Khrystal; 07-08-09 at 08:37 PM.
    07-08-09 08:34 PM
    Yes, GPS is unlocked on the Storm. I use Google Maps, Poynt, etc and it worked out of the box.

Just make sure you go into Options/Advanced Options/GPS and set GPS Services to "Location On". It comes set to "E911 Only" by default.
    07-08-09 08:34 PM
    yep settings are the same on my curve just only allowing BB maps of course as we all know.

Yes I do make a plan to pull almost daily already, but I like the the scheduled reset app

and as with most bb's mem drain and batt drain are a real issue so i do close out everything... and when I don't it suffers.

I have seen both good and bad reviews on the storm, but I'm willing to give it a shot with my experience in tweaking and OS installing. the way I look at it... they will get 3 chances then they owe me a tour! and not just of the store LOL
    07-08-09 08:42 PM
    I have been using Geocache Navigator on the storm and it works great! I believe it is even available now through BB App World. You may want to check out this thread also.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ge...-storm-161649/
    07-08-09 08:54 PM
    Yes the GPS is unlocked and it works great with 3rd party Apps (just be sure to turn it on in your option menu its E911 by default). I love the Storm its by far the best phone I ever owned good luck with yours!
    07-08-09 09:13 PM
    Woah woah woah. How do you turn "Location" on? I have had my phone since february wishing Google Maps would work properly.
    07-11-09 01:38 PM
    Woah woah woah. How do you turn "Location" on? I have had my phone since february wishing Google Maps would work properly.
    Options>advanced options>GPS change in there.
    07-11-09 01:48 PM
    Options>Advanced Options>GPS>GPS services
    07-11-09 01:50 PM
    With location on does it drain your battery faster or anything that I should know thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 04:53 AM
    With location on does it drain your battery faster or anything that I should know thanks

You shouldn't notice any excessive drain. Obviously when running apps that use the GPS you'll see extra drain, but that's kind of necessary

to the OP, if you're tech savvy, when you get your storm, load .151 (its not a verizon release, but it was released by another carrier). I know its only been around for a few days, but its fantastic. The memory management alone makes it worth getting. I've had it running for 48 hours. Booted with 32mb free, its fluxuated a little due to use, but I still have 32mb free now. This isn't really an issue until you have none and need to reboot, but if this keeps up.. rebooting on any kind of a regular basis might soon be a thing of the past
    07-12-09 08:11 AM
    thanks snork for your answer i did not want to have turn it on and back to the 911 setting all the time
    07-12-09 08:20 AM
    The 911 setting stays once you set it

07-12-09 08:58 AM
    before i upgraded my storm with the new version (4.7.01.148) my vz navigator worked great, and i am using T-mobile. after the upgrade, my bb will try to connect to vz navigator but will say a connection could not be made. Is there a way to re-install vz navigator back on my bb to work like before?
    07-12-09 12:33 PM
    before i upgraded my storm with the new version (4.7.01.148) my vz navigator worked great, and i am using T-mobile. after the upgrade, my bb will try to connect to vz navigator but will say a connection could not be made. Is there a way to re-install vz navigator back on my bb to work like before?
    Pull that Batt!
    If that doesnt work try this -
    Uninstall - Options>Advanced Options>Applications>Menu Button>Delete.
    Install - Browser>Bookmarks>Downloads/Get VZnavigator!
    I used to use googlemaps on my 8130 so to save money you might check that out.
    07-13-09 02:40 PM
    Wait for the S2....at least that's what I'm doing.
    07-13-09 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD