10-25-11 10:28 PM
47 12
tools
    What Country-State do you live in? Your experience does not sound like USA, and we have seen reports that some countries are doing more marketing (and more shelf space)..
    I live in Marietta, Georgia... USA
    09-29-11 03:51 PM
    Do the carriers make less on the bb data packages than they do on data packages for the various other smartphones? I presume rim gets a cut of the normal approx $30/month data charges.
    10-01-11 12:53 AM
    It's either there is a conspiracy against RIM (which is unlikely) ,the phones are just not profitable enough for the carriers to put in an effort (very plausible)
    I go for the conspiracy personally, but the more likely reason is the profitable portion. iOS sells. Droid sells. BB hasn't sold lately because there was nothing to sell.
    10-03-11 09:45 AM
    Do the carriers make less on the bb data packages than they do on data packages for the various other smartphones? I presume rim gets a cut of the normal approx $30/month data charges.
    That's always been my understanding yes. I read somewhere (not even sure this was for VZW) that $11 of the $30 data plan goes to RIM (remember all Internet data passes through RIM's servers before it hits the cel network).

Personally I think it has more to do with overall customer satisfaction and the bad taste that a lot of people have in their mouths when it comes to BB after the Storm fiasco
    10-12-11 01:36 AM
    What a joke. TBH Sales reps in general, no matter what industry are lying garbage bins.
    That is not true at all. There are some sales reps who actually listen to what the customer wants and actually helps.
    10-12-11 02:03 PM
    That is not true at all. There are some sales reps who actually listen to what the customer wants and actually helps.
    As a general case, not really. Sure there are exceptions, but the rule is that sales associates are useless in terms of actually giving you what you want. They are there to push something before you even entered the store.
    10-12-11 02:10 PM
    As a general case, not really. Sure there are exceptions, but the rule is that sales associates are useless in terms of actually giving you what you want. They are there to push something before you even entered the store.
    I'm a sales rep. I have not been told to push one type of phone over another. We are told to get the customer into the best fitting phone for their needs and wants. 90% of my co-workers do exactly that.
    10-12-11 03:40 PM
    You are also knowledgeable about BB products considering you use them and frequent this board. That already makes you an exception.

I would put money that most sales reps are not.
    10-12-11 03:58 PM
    You are also knowledgeable about BB products considering you use them and frequent this board. That already makes you an exception.

I would put money that most sales reps are not.
    I know a number of reps in corporate stores who use or have used BB's in the past and at least one who is moving back to BB from Android. The knowledge is out there.

If there is anything that is being pushed it is selling a phone to someone that is not going to be returned -- yes they are penalized for that -- and I would imagine that some of them who see someone interested in something that is more complicated they may try to steer some of them back to something more easy to use, but other than that they have no motivation to steer anyone in one direction or another.
    10-12-11 05:30 PM
    Wow.....I just had this experience yesterday. I went to my local Verizon Corporate store after looking around for the BlackBerry phones I asked a rep where they had the BB phones displayed and was blatantly told with a chuckle "They're not". I usually don't go to the regular Verizon stores for the same reasons others have said but, I did decide to check out a couple more in the same area. I was surprised that none of them had any new BlackBerry devices displayed at all. I asked a rep at one of those other stores if they had the new OS7 phones all I got was a,"nah, we have them but don't put'em out".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 12:59 PM
    Which shows that there is no consistency from handsets displayed in one store to the other... Which sounds like a subjective decision, which will steer customers no matter how you look at it... I guarantee they will still have phones on display that are 10x worse spec wise than any BB device, so it's not a floor space issue... I also guarantee they will have phones on display that sell less numbers overall than phones like the BB curve and bold...
    10-13-11 01:19 PM
    True. The corporate store I went to had four cheap entry level phones but no BlackBerry's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 01:45 PM
    Which shows that there is no consistency from handsets displayed in one store to the other... Which sounds like a subjective decision, which will steer customers no matter how you look at it... I guarantee they will still have phones on display that are 10x worse spec wise than any BB device, so it's not a floor space issue... I also guarantee they will have phones on display that sell less numbers overall than phones like the BB curve and bold...
    It has little to do with specs and more to do with what sells and sadly what sells in mobile is that lower priced point. The Bold 9900 is an expensive phone in store $299-$100 MIR and people just see that $299 (rebates suck) and that deters a lot of people. And yes as sad as it is Blackberries aren't as mainstream as they used to be (largely due to the fact that RIM hasn't put anything out in so long) and those sub $100 phones sell A LOT better than the high end smartphones. Where I work (indirect retailer for AT&T and Verizon) we sell roughly 10 feature/messaging phones for every smartphone.
    10-13-11 08:03 PM
    That's exactly what I'm talking about...
    10-21-11 11:36 AM
    It has little to do with specs and more to do with what sells and sadly what sells in mobile is that lower priced point. The Bold 9900 is an expensive phone in store $299-$100 MIR and people just see that $299 (rebates suck) and that deters a lot of people. And yes as sad as it is Blackberries aren't as mainstream as they used to be (largely due to the fact that RIM hasn't put anything out in so long) and those sub $100 phones sell A LOT better than the high end smartphones. Where I work (indirect retailer for AT&T and Verizon) we sell roughly 10 feature/messaging phones for every smartphone.
    Even out of stock and on backorder, the iPhone4s is listed at $199 with a 2 year contract. The Bold is currently sitting at $299 with a 2 year contract. I'd go for the iPhone4s if I was looking for a new phone because it's cheaper. People know BB has limits as to what it can do and most people won't pay more for restraints.
    10-24-11 08:59 AM
    Even out of stock and on backorder, the iPhone4s is listed at $199 with a 2 year contract. The Bold is currently sitting at $299 with a 2 year contract. I'd go for the iPhone4s if I was looking for a new phone because it's cheaper. People know BB has limits as to what it can do and most people won't pay more for restraints.
    I agree. They could lower the price a bit to make it more tempting.
    10-24-11 01:04 PM
    Ok the reps push people to droids and iphones because they know the customer will be happy with them. Most people return the BB's for whatever reasons.

They figure if a person ants a BB then they will come in the store and purchase without asking questions about it
    10-24-11 07:41 PM
    Ok the reps push people to droids and iphones because they know the customer will be happy with them. Most people return the BB's for whatever reasons.

They figure if a person ants a BB then they will come in the store and purchase without asking questions about it
    That's not really true. We get more android returns than anything else.
    10-25-11 12:22 AM
    That's not really true. We get more android returns than anything else.
    Any reason why? I was considering going Android before I settled on an iPhone4s. I liked the iPhone's features better than Android's.
    10-25-11 10:15 AM
    I don't work for Verizon but I sell phones and we get more returns as well for android. Usually reasoning is frustration or battery.
    10-25-11 11:04 AM
    i went in to the verizon store looking for the 4s. no shocker they were out of stock, but of course the dude points me to a droid. i'm like, "i don't like the droid OS". So he points me to another droid. seriously? I know commission is in effect, but come on, at least listen.

then i told him my netbook laptop was about to expire contract wise, and when i can cancel it fully without an ETF, and without missing a beat "oh, why not get a tablet and upgrade both your phone to a droid and laptop plan to a tablet." I told him that I already had a laptop I just got that is more powerful and better suited for my DJ business than a tablet would be. He still urged me to "at least check out the tablets". I didn't even acknowledge him saying that, i just walked out. i hope i left him there bewildered. The reason that pissed me off is because i don't want that second line anymore. I signed up for it when I never had a laptop, and had to get the $30 a month data plan or whatever, of 250 MB a month (which i hardly ever used). I basically did it to get a laptop. Now that I bought a newer more powerful laptop than the netbook that was free with that 2 year activation, i don't need the second "line" on my account and can't wait until feb to cancel it without the ETF.
    Last edited by JJGeneral1; 10-25-11 at 04:10 PM.
    10-25-11 04:05 PM
    Any reason why? I was considering going Android before I settled on an iPhone4s. I liked the iPhone's features better than Android's.
    I don't work for Verizon but I sell phones and we get more returns as well for android. Usually reasoning is frustration or battery.
    Frustration over how complicated the OS is and battery life is why we get the most returns. And that is on all 3 carries that I sell for. The iPhone has the least returns and Blackberry is just kinda there in the middle.
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-25-11 10:28 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD