Does Verizon still block GPS access for 3rd party apps?

We're on 5.0 OS and using a mix of current (Bold 9650) and semi-current (Tour 9630) BB's on Verizon. When users run app that uses BB's GPS they get a message that they need to enable GPS even though their GPS is enabled.

Is this issue specific to BES? Most importantly, what can we do to fix this issue?

THANK YOU in advance for your guidance/input
    02-07-11 11:50 AM
    I'm on Verizon and my GPS works. I used it yesterday in Quickfind, Poynt, and Facebook. Also, my Berryweather uses the GPS and it too works.
    02-07-11 12:04 PM
    I don't doubt your ability using a BB, but maybe your GPS is not enabled. To check, go to Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS. Make sure Location Aiding is set to "Enabled". If it was disabled before you did all this, restart your device. If it was enabled to begin with, disable it, restart the device, then do the steps outlined above. If you're still having problems, call VZW technical support.
    CoolApps likes this.
    02-07-11 12:28 PM
    Google Maps worked fine on my Storm, but I never used it on Verizon. I assume there are no restrictions on the phone itself.
    02-07-11 03:15 PM
    Verizon never blocked the GPS functionality on any Tour 9630 or Bold 9650 devices.
    02-07-11 05:03 PM
    No I agree with aa81901. They DON'T block the gps on any smart phones they have now a days. I know with the 8830 they did originally block it and then they had a software update and you could get it. The 9630 and 9650 and all new blackberries aren't blocked. Go into options/advanced options/gps/enable. You should be golden!

I have never had a problem with any 3rd party mapping/gps applications...I've had the 8830, 9630, and 9650 and they all worked no problem.
    02-07-11 05:14 PM
    I used Garmin on my 9630 in the past, along with Google Maps and Poynt. Nothing was ever blocked. The OP mentioned BES, so I am guessing that he/she needs to check with their IT or BES Admin to get it working.
    02-07-11 10:09 PM
    No vzw doesn't block the GPS. I use it on Poynt and BerryWeather.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 11:49 PM
    I can't believe people still ask this question.

Verizon hasn't blocked the GPS functionality for new devices since the original Storm came to be back in November 2008.
    02-08-11 09:17 AM
    Does Verizon still block GPS access for 3rd party apps?

We're on 5.0 OS and using a mix of current (Bold 9650) and semi-current (Tour 9630) BB's on Verizon. When users run app that uses BB's GPS they get a message that they need to enable GPS even though their GPS is enabled.

Is this issue specific to BES? Most importantly, what can we do to fix this issue?

THANK YOU in advance for your guidance/input
    Check with your BES administrator and make sure the IT policies allow GPS to be "enabled". Sometimes, if you go through a update with BES, it defaults certain permissions one way or the other.
    CoolApps likes this.
    02-08-11 10:26 AM
    Thank you all (except the one angry poster) for your constructive and helpful suggestions. I'll double-check to see if this is a simple User and/or Admin oversight. Thanks again!
    02-12-11 05:14 PM
    Thank you all (except the one angry poster) for your constructive and helpful suggestions. I'll double-check to see if this is a simple User and/or Admin oversight. Thanks again!
    The other thing to double-check is really make sure the third party app(s) permissions are truly set to access/use GPS. Sometimes, upon install, a user might fly through some of the set-up options and blow past that one window that talks about permissions.

Assuming all that is taken care of, I'm pretty certain there is an IT policy holding things up on the BES end. My BES admin did a service pack update several months ago and allowed a whole let of default settings to go through and I couldn't even use the GPS on BB Maps for a while.
    02-12-11 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD