05-22-11 05:31 PM
49 12
tools
    The Thunderbolt is the only phone made with 2 3G and 2 4G radios built in.
    It's also happens to be the first phone rated with 5-6 hours of battery life.

5-6 hours.
    when you unplug your phone in the morning.
    You have 5-6 hours.

I also want to point out that tghe Thunder Bolt has one of the WORST designs in the world.
    Not being a troll. Just pointing out.
    It has a Kick Stand for watching movies.
    And GUESS where they put the Charging Port.
    GUESS WHERE THE IDIOTS PUT THE CHARGING PORT.
    Right under the Kickstand.
    Of all places. it was under the Kick stand.
    Honestly. Thank you for buying our phone. It only has 6 hours of battery life, But you can watch movies! For about an hour. Want to charge it? Well You can't use your kickstand while you do that. We wanted to F*&^ with you and just put it RIGHT UNDER THE KICKSTAND.

And what the Heck? Can someone say Most misleading Title ever? In the HISTORY of the world?
    Simultaneous Voice and Data? You know, Sprint Evos don't need 7 Radios in their phones to get Voice and data, They use MUCH MUCH less.

NOT acceptable
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 05-18-11 at 02:39 PM.
    05-18-11 02:12 PM

5-6 hours.
    You have 5-6 hours.

I also want to point out that tghe Thunder Bolt has one of the WORST designs in the world.
    Honestly. Thank you for buying our phone. It only has 6 hours of battery life, But you can watch movies! For about an hour. Want to charge it? Well You can't use your kickstand while you do that. We wanted to F*&^ with you and just put it RIGHT UNDER THE KICKSTAND.
    Scanning through the Android blogs I read three things constantly about the TB. Battery life, charging port/kickstand issue, and random reboots that both VZW and HTC acknowledged in a known issue.

I considered getting the TB but am glad I didn't.
    05-18-11 02:25 PM
    Scanning through the Android blogs I read three things constantly about the TB. Battery life, charging port/kickstand issue, and random reboots that both VZW and HTC acknowledged in a known issue.

I considered getting the TB but am glad I didn't.
    Set Your Location

It used to say 5-6 hours. but I guess thay changed it.

a Big problem is that there isn't an easy way to turn off 4G.
    05-18-11 02:35 PM

5-6 hours.
    You have 5-6 hours.

And what the Heck? Can someone say Most misleading Title ever? In the HISTORY of the world?
    Simultaneous Voice and Data? You know, Sprint Evos don't need 7 Radios in their phones to get Voice and data, They use MUCH MUCH less.
    Yes, if I know I'm going to be without some ability to charge all day, I will make sure I do things like turn off WiFi, 4G, Bluetooth, or whatever else I'm not using. I took it off the charger this morning, have used it quite a bit (it IS still my new toy, after all), and finally put it on the charger after a bit over 6 hours because it was down to around 15%, I think. But, the battery has only been charged once, so it's not yet conditioned for best life. And the screen is the single biggest consumer of battery, by far, and I've had the screen on almost all day because of constantly messing with it. The stock battery is 1400 mAh. There are 1800s on eBay that still fit under the stock cover. I will probably get one of those to use and one to have as a spare and I think I'll be fine. I normally charge my phone every night anyway.

Yes, the kickstand design is pretty dumb. So, pretend it's a phone that doesn't have a kickstand.... Personally, I don't see ever wanting to watch a movie with it on the kickstand anyway. If I'm watching a movie, it will probably be in a multimedia dock (hopefully, with an output to a bigger screen), or I'd be holding in my hands anyway, so I can see it better. Really, about the only use I have for the kickstand is that I think it will probably work slightly better as a speakerphone when on the kickstand as compared to laying flat on a table or desk.

The TB only has 2 transceivers (i.e. radios), I believe. Why do you say 7?
    05-18-11 02:51 PM
    The TB only has 2 transceivers (i.e. radios), I believe. Why do you say 7?
    I might have done my math wrong.
    2G
    3Gx2
    4Gx2
    Wifi
    BT

And I understand. Its just that this post ended with Bye to Blackberry then saying we were slow.

I can say the TB really would be the Hare of the story.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 02:55 PM
    a Big problem is that there isn't an easy way to turn off 4G.
    I guess it's just down to what you call "easy".

Phone dialer
    *#*#GODM#*#*
    Tap Phone Info
    Set preferred network type droplist to "CMDA auto (PRL)"

Same steps and set the droplist to "CMDA + LTE/EvDo auto" when you're ready to go back to 4G.

That's definitely easy enough for me. If it's not easy enough for you, I think I heard there's a free app you can download to automate it for you.
    05-18-11 02:55 PM
    I might have done my math wrong.
    2G
    3Gx2
    4Gx2
    Wifi
    BT

And I understand. Its just that this post ended with Bye to Blackberry then saying we were slow.

I can say the TB really would be the Hare of the story.

I gotcha. I think the correct list is actually:

CDMA-2000 (or whatever it is) x 2
    4G
    WiFi
    BT

So, 5. But, any way you slice it, I think your point, that it has one more radio than the EVO is correct. And that probably would contribute to greater battery usage. A tradeoff that I personally am happy to live with in exchange for simultenous voice and 3G data.

I don't think you can refute that RIM is slow, though. RIM had mature cell phones before the first Android phone ever came out. Now, Android has phones on all the major carriers, and their phones have 4G (as one example), while RIM does not (at least, not on Verizon and no sign of one). Google/Android/many OEMs have clearly beaten the snot out of RIM in speed of product development (and speed of data throughput on VZW phones and probably speed of actually running applications, too).
    05-18-11 03:01 PM
    Oh, and regarding the TB/Hare RIM/tortoise analogy, I'd wager that, by the time RIM has a 4G phone on VZW that can do simultaneous voice/3G data, handle larger-than-3GB attachments, and play WMV files, there will be an Android phone that has superceded the TB that is still more capable than the RIM phone that does all the things I just mentioned.

But, I would love to be wrong! I do NOT think Google is Good, and I would love to get back to a platform where Google does not have free license to know all the details of my life and do whatever they want with my info.
    05-18-11 03:05 PM
    I guess it's just down to what you call "easy".

Phone dialer
    *#*#GODM#*#*
    Tap Phone Info
    Set preferred network type droplist to "CMDA auto (PRL)"

Same steps and set the droplist to "CMDA + LTE/EvDo auto" when you're ready to go back to 4G.

That's definitely easy enough for me. If it's not easy enough for you, I think I heard there's a free app you can download to automate it for you.
    I'm talking easy as in notification bar flick and 4g icon tap.
    Evo, Epic, Shift, 3D, etc, all do it. Thunder Bolt just doesn't.
    Maybe it's LTE, Maybe but the point is that the average user won't do that.
    05-18-11 05:16 PM
    I gotcha. I think the correct list is actually:

CDMA-2000 (or whatever it is) x 2
    4G
    WiFi
    BT

So, 5. But, any way you slice it, I think your point, that it has one more radio than the EVO is correct. And that probably would contribute to greater battery usage. A tradeoff that I personally am happy to live with in exchange for simultenous voice and 3G data.

I don't think you can refute that RIM is slow, though. RIM had mature cell phones before the first Android phone ever came out. Now, Android has phones on all the major carriers, and their phones have 4G (as one example), while RIM does not (at least, not on Verizon and no sign of one). Google/Android/many OEMs have clearly beaten the snot out of RIM in speed of product development (and speed of data throughput on VZW phones and probably speed of actually running applications, too).
    I didn't know the 3G radios were backwards compatible.
    makes six, because you stated that there are 2 4G radios.

Moving on, I agree, RIM lacks 4G. Cool. Android Lacks any kind of security.
    the Operating systems anything past 2.2.1 is safe, But anything before, keeps passwords in storage(even if you tell it not to) for 15 days. and it HAS been proven that it can be exploited. Not the same as RIM's HUGE security flaw where they can see your contacts, this one steals passwords.

"Android" obviously destroyed RIM with 12 different Companies all making phones.
    I mean it's not hard to imagine. Wouldn't you expect more combined sales of 6 phones than the combined sales of 2?

And to finish.
    The Evo and the Epic, AND the Shift all have simultaneous voice and data. AND still are rated at more than 7 hours of battery life.
    05-18-11 05:23 PM
    Oh, and regarding the TB/Hare RIM/tortoise analogy, I'd wager that, by the time RIM has a 4G phone on VZW that can do simultaneous voice/3G data, handle larger-than-3GB attachments, and play WMV files, there will be an Android phone that has superceded the TB that is still more capable than the RIM phone that does all the things I just mentioned.

But, I would love to be wrong! I do NOT think Google is Good, and I would love to get back to a platform where Google does not have free license to know all the details of my life and do whatever they want with my info.
    RIM now has a Playbook In development for 4G. I can't imagine they aren't thinking about a phone. BIS 4.0 Is rolling out soon. I hope they fix it.
    WMV is just a matter of them allowing it, iPhone won't play it either.
    05-18-11 05:28 PM
    Thunderbolt stock just isn't that great. Rooted running GB 2.3.4 its pretty nice though. Battery life is decent rooted + a custom Rom/kernel + extended battery.

But just stock with standard battery and 4G the battery life is pretty bad...
    05-19-11 11:32 AM
    Mine is bone stock. I took it off the charger this morning at 8am and it's now 3pm. Battery level says 33 (of 100). And that's with GPS, Bluetooth, and WiFi all turned and being in a 4G coverage area all day. I have run SpeedTest several times today (got a best of 4Mbps up/4 Mbps down) and used it a fair bit for email and texting, as well as several (but not a lot of) phone calls.

I'll be quite happy if an 1800 mAh battery plus a custom ROM gets me another 40 - 50% more life. The battery alone is "rated" 28% more capacity than the stock 1400.
    05-19-11 02:06 PM
    One thing to note about non-oem batteries, they never deliver according to the mah increase rating (even oem batteries won't necessarily deliver the exact mah increase of course).

Just a random example, but a "28% higher mah" probably will perform something like a 10-15% increase in battery life (which can be a very small increase considering the price of the batteries).

They've done tests on many extended batteries (with some popular names) and it basically always pans out like this.

I recommend the 2750 battery though, I actually don't mind the bulk at all so far (although the heavy phone is now even heavier).
    05-19-11 02:33 PM
    Understood on the batteries. That's why I put quotes around rated 28%.

But, two batteries and a charger was only $38, shipped, so it's certainly not a very expensive experiment.

Personally, the phone with a skin on it is now as thick as I'd want it to be, since I put it in my pants picket with my little leather thingie that holds a couple of credit cards and some cash. 2750 battery is not really an option I want to mess with at this point. I suppose I might think about getting the Seidio 3200 at some point just in case...
    05-19-11 02:48 PM
    Actually, looks like the battery stats are broken or something, ha
    Last edited by papped; 05-20-11 at 12:26 AM.
    05-19-11 04:59 PM
    I didn't know the 3G radios were backwards compatible.
    makes six, because you stated that there are 2 4G radios.

Moving on, I agree, RIM lacks 4G. Cool. Android Lacks any kind of security.
    the Operating systems anything past 2.2.1 is safe, But anything before, keeps passwords in storage(even if you tell it not to) for 15 days. and it HAS been proven that it can be exploited. Not the same as RIM's HUGE security flaw where they can see your contacts, this one steals passwords.

"Android" obviously destroyed RIM with 12 different Companies all making phones.
    I mean it's not hard to imagine. Wouldn't you expect more combined sales of 6 phones than the combined sales of 2?

And to finish.
    The Evo and the Epic, AND the Shift all have simultaneous voice and data. AND still are rated at more than 7 hours of battery life.
    thats great that 3 phones from other carriers can get better battery life, they have different radios and prolly half the bloat ware as well...do the berries from VZW and att get the same battery life? **** I havent gotten a full days charge on my S1 for weeks or even months now...did it start that way..kinda, the more i used it the less battery I got out of it...
    05-20-11 09:29 AM
    You need to get my backpack extended life battery!
    05-20-11 09:46 AM
    I guess you don't use as much battery when you can't find a network to talk to... LOL!
    05-20-11 10:02 AM
    Actually a lot of people were reporting worse battery life on the Evo (if you actually have WiMax) coverage than the TB on LTE.
    05-20-11 12:53 PM
    I tease I tease!
    05-20-11 02:18 PM
    8h 25m uptime with 60% display on 2.3.4 on TB extended battery with 68% battery remaining on a sense rom. Would be impossible on Froyo.

05-20-11 10:48 PM
    The Evo actually has worse.battery life, despite having a larger battery. Even worse, WiMax is the ishts.

Throwing the TB under the bus just because of a few whiners or folks with real issues isn't really fair. The phone is fantastic, it is blazing fast, it's reliable, it's well built, and the battery life is not THAT bad. It is about the same as the Storm series (I had three, so...), which is not the best, but certainly better than those who have never owned a TB would claim.

Anyway, I bought two extra batteries for backup, though I have only swapped them out I think three times.

05-21-11 01:12 AM
    My thunderbolt is amazing now with the extended battery. If you own this phone and don't have the extended battery I think you may be missing out! My phone now makes it through the whole day with pretty heavy usage.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    05-22-11 05:31 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD