Sorry I'm so new to this, but here's my dilema. After getting the sim unlocked by Verizon, I tried my OneSim Card in it. The phone accepts and recognizes it, but when trying to make a call, it simply returns some cryptic garbage.

OneSim Card support says that Verizon blocks all 3rd party apps. At&t will suport it, as will TMobile. Is this true ?
    03-06-10 05:09 PM
    You can have the SIM unlocked, but the device will only work CDMA inthe US. If you want a tour to work on another carrier, then you have to device flashed for that carrier. VZW Sims only work outside the US, even if you unlock it.
    03-06-10 05:17 PM
    Not true. I had my Storm and Tour unlocked before and used my friend's AT&T SIM card in both of my phones. I had another friend call my friend's number (the number on the SIM) and it worked.

If you unlocked a phone (any phone, doesn't matter which carrier) it should work with any SIM card regardless of the location. I don't think Verizon tracks which network you're using. You can even switch your phone from CDMA to GSM, meaning it turns off the CDMA radio and uses the GSM one instead. You can also have the option of having both on simultaneously, but I don't really see the point in that.

Now, I see that the OneSim SIM card is for international roaming, no? That therein may be your problem. If you're attempting a call in here in the US off of your SIM card intended for international use, that just might be your problem.
    03-06-10 05:34 PM
    Ok, so here is what actually happened. I took the OneSim Card out of an unlocked AT&T Motorola, which I verified it's use before I did. I called the 099# number to check the balance.

Then I put it in an unlocked Storm 2. It recognized the card, and had the menu loaded. I tried to call the 099# number to check the balance and it came back with some encryted garbage.

I tried a call and got the same thing. Then I put it bcak in the Motorola, and it works fine.

I WAS trying this from the US, but it works fine in the Motorola. Are you saying that Verizon will only let it be operational when abroad ?. Even when I have it set to GSM ?.

Thanks again for any help....Barry
    03-06-10 08:00 PM
    That is what I am saying. If you get the device flashed to work on another carrier, then you should be okay. Many others here havew done it. All that unlocking the SIM does is allow the device to use other SIM cards.

With the original set up of this device, it will not see GSM in teh US.

This is my understanding. THe other poster said his works. So the info here is a bit confusing to you, I am sorry.
    03-06-10 08:04 PM
    Thanks....got it, but....are you thinking that once I go abroad, that the One Sim card will be operational on the Verizon Storm (which I have an account with)?.

It IS an international calling card, but can also be used in the US (at a hihger rate per minute). It uses an Estonian cell number that rings back, then puts the call thru (at 1/3 the rate that the Verizon Sim card charges).
    Last edited by mumblypeg; 03-06-10 at 08:15 PM.
    03-06-10 08:07 PM
    Thanks....got it, but....are you thinking that once I go abroad, that the One Sim card will be operational on the Verizon Storm (which I have an account with)?.

It IS an international calling card, but can also be used in the US (at a hihger rate per minute). It uses an Estonian cell number that rings back, then puts the call thru (at 1/3 the rate that the Verizon Sim card charges).
    Not 100% sure. Sorry

WhenI trsvel I only use the VZW stuff. This way If I have a problem it is supported.
    03-06-10 08:20 PM
    If the phone is unlocked then you need to go into option/mobile network and change that setting to GMS for the sim card to work.
    03-06-10 08:32 PM
    lastraid, the information you are sharing about GSM use in the US is incorrect.

The device will work in the US without "flashing" as long as it is unlocked.
    03-07-10 07:56 AM

I agree, and I still don't quite understand it. For some reason the support team for OneSim card says that AT&T and T-Mobile Blackberry would be compatible with this card, but the Verizon Blackberry would not (beacuse Verizon is not compatible with 3rd party apps). Doesn't make a lot of sense.

When I put on in my Motorola (which is unlocked and has NO carrier plan), it works fine. I guess I'll call Global Support and see if I can get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the replies, tho....Barry
    03-07-10 09:13 AM
    Just because a SIM card works in another device does not mean that it will work in a BlackBerry. I would try it in another BlackBerry if you can to determine if it's compatible.

You DO need to make sure that the DEVICE is unlocked. Go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card and type MEPD to make sure that it doesn't say "Active" next to Network.

If it reads "Active" then the device is still locked to Verizon.
    03-07-10 10:09 AM
    You can definitely put a SIM into an unlocked blackberry storm or tour and it will work in the US. Has quad band GSM.

Could it be the lack of a data plan? If the SIM works in a moto but not the berry that could be the problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 04:02 PM
    You can definitely put a SIM into an unlocked blackberry storm or tour and it will work in the US. Has quad band GSM.

Could it be the lack of a data plan? If the SIM works in a moto but not the berry that could be the problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I was looking thru the menu, and there is an option to "edit Sim card number". Do you know, if when replacing the Verizon Sim, I'd have to edit the number under that menu for it to be associated with the new card ?.

For reasons that I can't explain....the OneSim card people say that VERIZON Blackberry is not compatible, but the AT&T & T-Mobile Blackberries are. Doesn't make much sense to me....unlocked sim is unlocked sim, right?
    Last edited by mumblypeg; 03-07-10 at 06:34 PM.
    03-07-10 06:31 PM
    One thing you MAY run into is that the device may be on multiple phone numbers at the same time. If you are using ANY other number than your VZW number in that sim slot, make sure to manually switch between CDMA and GSM modes using Manage Connections. Global mode will default to CDMA if it sees it! (A GSM # code isn't going to work if the call is routing through CDMA, just like *228 does squat on GSM.)

Remember that first and foremost, Verizon is CDMA, and so are our phones!

Edit to Add: Also keep this in mind when roaming. Contrary to popular belief (heh) CDMA is not limited to North America. Not even close. Especially if you're travelling in SE Asia, South America, and some areas of the middle east, keep track of what phone number your device is currently set to. Remember this should be controlled manually if you are using more than one.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 03-07-10 at 07:22 PM.
    03-07-10 07:15 PM

Thank you and I stand corrected for the future.
    03-07-10 07:29 PM
    Sorry I'm so new to this, but here's my dilema. After getting the sim unlocked by Verizon, I tried my OneSim Card in it. The phone accepts and recognizes it, but when trying to make a call, it simply returns some cryptic garbage.

OneSim Card support says that Verizon blocks all 3rd party apps. At&t will suport it, as will TMobile. Is this true ?
    Should just need to switch it to 2g and the reboot it.

You can have the SIM unlocked, but the device will only work CDMA inthe US. If you want a tour to work on another carrier, then you have to device flashed for that carrier. VZW Sims only work outside the US, even if you unlock it.
    Wrong they will work, unlock plenty of them all day long with satisfied customers.
    03-08-10 12:28 AM
    Should just need to switch it to 2g and the reboot it.

Wrong they will work, unlock plenty of them all day long with satisfied customers.
    The CDMA portion of the device will only work on Verizon (unless it is flashed). When the device is unlocked it will work on any GSM network (not CDMA), just pop in any SIM card.
    Last edited by cenloe; 03-10-10 at 12:43 PM.
    03-10-10 02:38 AM
    Just an update (to my original post in this thread)... all Sim Cards are not created equally.

OneSim Card has replied (and subsiquently posted an extensive list on their site), that Blackberry world phones from Verizon or Sprint, would not operate on their cards. AT&T along with T-Mobile are fine.

For reasons they cannot readily identify, Verizon and Sprint actually blocks their app software.

I've used the OneSim card in a Motorola "dumb" phone in most parts of Europe and Carribean with great results (and rates). Too bad Verizon is "slippin' in to me", with their Blackberry models.

Verizon's HTC works fine with the card....
    03-10-10 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD