So I was surprised the other day when I received a FedEx package at my home. I wasn't expecting any deliveries. The package wasn't too big or small, just an average brown cardboard box sealed with tape and slightly damaged. For the size of the box though, there was almost no weight. A subsequent shake of the box made barely any sound, and nothing shifted inside. The only hint was the return shipping title. What on earth did I buy?

I opened the mystery item to see just what was inside. The first thing I found was that airspeed inflatable packing. No peanuts or bubblewrap, so popping the protection wasn't nearly as fun as it usually is. Still though, I couldn't see what the box held. Why would Verizon ship me an empty box?

After turning the FedEx package upside down and dumping out the contents, I finally discovered the treasure inside. Eureka! It was the protective Storm screen covers I hastily bought a week or so ago. I had totally forgotten about this quick purchase after scratching my old screen cover on a bottlecap. My excitement quickly turned to confusion, which led to disappointment.

With Earth Day not far behind us, I'm confused that Verizon would ship such a small item to me in such a large package. What a complete waste of effort, money and more importantly...paper. I'm no ultra crazy environmentalist - I throw away my fair share of beer bottles - but this FedEx shipment is a bit overkill. Verizon even made me sign for the package. Three screen covers, with a combined cost of $9.99 and a combined weight of only a couple grams, could have easily been shipped in a regular letter envelope for the cost of a 42-cent stamp. I'd expect less protection if the company shipped me a new Storm, than what it took to mail only a few tiny pieces of plastic. In a nutshell...what a waste, Verizon Wireless.
    04-28-09 08:31 PM
    just think of the great service they supplied you by not allowing those screen protectors to get bent or creased... They were looking out for you, the end user my friend...lol Yay!
    04-28-09 08:40 PM
    You better not order a Micro SD card, you might get a freight truck in front of your house asking where to put the pallet. lol !
    04-28-09 08:40 PM
    Anything that is shipped to you get shipped in the same size box. Seems weird, but it is cost savings ordering one size box for all. Get a better deal that way. I have ordered stuff small in nature and they always come in the same size box
    04-28-09 08:45 PM
    What resources were wasted in creating this thread about a cardboard box?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 08:48 PM
    Not nearly as many as it took for you to seek out and read a thread about a cardboard box, only to leave a cynical comment.
    04-28-09 08:59 PM

LOL, a little bit of a reach, but whatever.

Everything I have ordered from Verizon has come in the same size box. They actually come in real handy when I need to ship something to someone else.
    04-28-09 09:01 PM
    As already stated, every item that I have purchased from VZW comes in that size box. I usually use the left over box to store papers that I need to file away or the ship medium size items out.

04-28-09 09:06 PM
    LOL, a little bit of a reach, but whatever.

Everything I have ordered from Verizon has come in the same size box. They actually come in real handy when I need to ship something to someone else.
    DING DING DING - we have a winner, great idea cause thats what I do as well
    04-28-09 09:06 PM
    It sounds like some people have never had a large mailorder account with Fedex or UPS. Huge cost savings come from standarbized packages. The packages are usually recycled, made from renewable resources and are generally made in the USA. I suggest you treehuggers never buy from Amazon or other large mailorder houses because they all do it in one form or another. Jump in the car instead and drive around town to get what you want instead of having those big trucks fouling your neighborhood or you could always insist on paying for overnight shipping and then complain here about how Verizon and other carriers soaked you for 20 dollars to overnight you your small purchase or you can complain that your order is taking six to eight weeks to deliver to you.

Earth day is a scam to get more of your hard earned money. Use what you want as long as you pay for it. The worship of Al Gore is for the birds.

04-28-09 09:23 PM
    the only thing I receive from verizon is my refurb storm replacements and thus the box goes back... recycling?
    04-28-09 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD