01-02-10 02:03 PM
30 12
tools
    I been with Verizon Since 1997 and never ever had a problem. I would say in the past 2 months and more and more this month I have not been receiving 50% of my calls. My phone for some reason or another will not ring or let any calls come through. Any ideas. I have a blackberry 9630 had it for 3 months. Its running on Verizon genuine OP system not a hybrid. I usually have about 1 bar in my house use to have full bars but since early 2009 Verizon screwed something up and im always down to 1 bar in my house. Would a benefit from a Verizon Wireless Network Extender or no? Help I'm missing a ton of calls and my wife is very mad. No im not just avoiding her calls lol. Im missing everyone calls is ridiculous. and no I love Verizon and will not switch.
    12-30-09 11:55 AM
    FWIW the one thing that popped into my mind as I read your post was to at least update your roaming and towers by doing a *228 option 2 if you haven't done that already. I say this because this seems to have started shortly after you got your new phone and perhaps the roaming list isn't up to date. I hope this helps.
    12-30-09 12:22 PM
    Are any other phones in the house experiencing this problem?

When someone calls you what is heard on the originating end? Does it ring directly to voicemail or does it ring for 25-30 seconds and then route to voicemail?

Are you getting all of your call waiting beeps?

Does this happen everywhere you go?

This could be a phone issue, coverage issue, or routing issue. It just depends. Best thing to do is call tech support, but be ready to answer some of the above questions. Also you need to give specific examples - date/time.
    12-30-09 02:25 PM
    Are any other phones in the house experiencing this problem?

When someone calls you what is heard on the originating end? Does it ring directly to voicemail or does it ring for 25-30 seconds and then route to voicemail?

Are you getting all of your call waiting beeps?

Does this happen everywhere you go?

This could be a phone issue, coverage issue, or routing issue. It just depends. Best thing to do is call tech support, but be ready to answer some of the above questions. Also you need to give specific examples - date/time.
    Did *228 nothing
    when someon calls rings 20 25 secs then goes to voice mail
    getting some call waiting beeps not all
    **** happens every day and it drops calls so frequently im sick of it it will drop 25% or more of the calls in the first 60 seconds yukkk
    12-30-09 03:13 PM
    FWIW the one thing that popped into my mind as I read your post was to at least update your roaming and towers by doing a *228 option 2 if you haven't done that already. I say this because this seems to have started shortly after you got your new phone and perhaps the roaming list isn't up to date. I hope this helps.
    The OP stated he had a problem in his house. If that is where he is not receiving calls then updating the PRL will absolutely do no good. The PRL is exactly what it says-a roaming list. You are not roaming in your home SID. Even if a new tower was added in your home SID, your phone would recognize it without updating your PRL
    12-30-09 03:17 PM
    no im not roaming im going to wait for my fiance to ge there so i can call them from her cell
    12-30-09 03:48 PM
    The OP stated he had a problem in his house. If that is where he is not receiving calls then updating the PRL will absolutely do no good. The PRL is exactly what it says-a roaming list. You are not roaming in your home SID. Even if a new tower was added in your home SID, your phone would recognize it without updating your PRL
    Thank you, I didn't realize that.

My apologies to the OP as my understanding was that list was for all towers and I thought maybe you weren't using the closest tower. Hope you get this resolved quickly.

Larry
    12-30-09 03:54 PM
    I had nothing but trouble with that phone with reception issues. I researched and found out both Verizon and Sprint users were having service issues with that model. Of course, my tech support people at Verizon 'had not heard of the issue', yea, right, as it was all over the forums! My solution? Dump the damn thing and get a Storm2! Hey, now I can go to Food Depot and actually make a call...lol! Seriously, night and day difference with service between the two units.
    12-30-09 04:11 PM
    I had nothing but trouble with that phone with reception issues. I researched and found out both Verizon and Sprint users were having service issues with that model. Of course, my tech support people at Verizon 'had not heard of the issue', yea, right, as it was all over the forums! My solution? Dump the damn thing and get a Storm2! Hey, now I can go to Food Depot and actually make a call...lol! Seriously, night and day difference with service between the two units.
    How can I ditch it had it 3 months my contract does not expire for a while... Im stuck with this bad boy unless i spend 500 on a storm 2
    12-30-09 04:20 PM
    Depending on location the PRL will make or break coverage - just ask any previous Alltel customer.

It is not just for when you're outside of your home area.
    12-30-09 05:11 PM
    Did *228 nothing
    when someon calls rings 20 25 secs then goes to voice mail
    getting some call waiting beeps not all
    **** happens every day and it drops calls so frequently im sick of it it will drop 25% or more of the calls in the first 60 seconds yukkk
    This could indicate a phone issue (transceiver). If you're having this issue just at your home, then it would mean a problem with the network/coverage.
    12-30-09 05:14 PM
    just got off the phone with verizon they said my phone seemed ok. They said it could be the case since I have it an Otter Box it could affect the signal I hung up on her Idiots.
    12-30-09 05:38 PM
    just got off the phone with verizon they said my phone seemed ok. They said it could be the case since I have it an Otter Box it could affect the signal I hung up on her Idiots.
    Boise rep? Sounds like you need to try again.
    12-30-09 05:44 PM
    What I would want to know is where it happens... Just at home? Or every where you go...

You shot and missed... Try again. Maybe speak to TS...
    12-30-09 05:47 PM
    Yeah that sounds like BS. Ask to speak to Tier 2 tech support if they can't find an answer. Don't even mention you have a case.
    12-30-09 05:49 PM
    yeah im going to give it a few more minutes then hope i don't get the same person. I had a girl once before that was a genius I wish I would get her she was nice and did not stop until my problem was fixed. Let time for me to cook dinner making cheddar brats wrapped in bacon with mac and cheese and sweet Hawaiian buns.
    12-30-09 05:50 PM
    Update: got a smart rep i think it was the girl from before.

here what she did

##000000 then changed SID from 21 to 51

Battery pull

Removed Google voice from device

battery pull

my cell # removed from network

cell phone re added.

battery pull

*228 opt 1

activate different device old phone i had

same issue continued no calls coming through.

BB re activated

battery pull

Finally got a trouble ticket

there not sure whats wrong at all they activated a different cell phone but i still did not get any calls.

Its not my house My fiance has 2 other Verizon phones on same account and they work flawless the rep was stumped.

GUYS ANY HELP PLEASE!!!!! Maybe I can direct them they are having a tech look at it further due to holidays prob be Monday before they get to me
    12-30-09 07:26 PM
    one thing I forgot to mention something weird I saw happening my bars went from 5 to 1 to 0 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to no network detected it was all over the place then it would stabilize then it begin again etc ect. my phone can only be used for outgoing calls now great
    12-30-09 07:39 PM
    one thing I forgot to mention something weird I saw happening my bars went from 5 to 1 to 0 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to no network detected it was all over the place then it would stabilize then it begin again etc ect. my phone can only be used for outgoing calls now great
    If its only your phone, then it could be the device.
    12-30-09 07:45 PM
    It happened on the bb only but the other device we activated on the same number would not receive calls. but my fiance in the same place can with her verizon phone
    12-30-09 07:47 PM
    The term "PRL" gets thrown around a lot, but it's actually "PNL" - Preferred Network List. It's not just updating roaming towers.
    01-01-10 12:52 AM
    Mmm. Good to know. Glad that was cleared up......
    01-01-10 12:56 AM
    The term "PRL" gets thrown around a lot, but it's actually "PNL" - Preferred Network List. It's not just updating roaming towers.
    huh? The "official" name is Preferred Roaming List. I see what you're saying, but the reason the term gets "thrown around" is because that's the correct term. Preferred Network List is something you'd find in a WiFi setup.
    01-01-10 10:28 AM
    If you update your "PRL" via a phone that allows it via the menu (like my Tour) and not hidden keystrokes, you'll see it called, more appropriately, "Preferred Network List"

No matter what you call it, it's a list that tells the phone what towers to use, no matter who owns those towers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-10 10:52 AM
    If you update your "PRL" via a phone that allows it via the menu (like my Tour) and not hidden keystrokes, you'll see it called, more appropriately, "Preferred Network List"

No matter what you call it, it's a list that tells the phone what towers to use, no matter who owns those towers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm referring to the name the wireless industry gave it - PRL. The Tour may say something different, but that doesn't mean it is the official jargon.

And you're right - regardless the name it does the same thing. Just wanted to make it clear that the term "PRL" is not something that is thrown around incorrectly. PNL - never heard of such in the wireless world.

My source: Network and system performance engineers, Cell site technicians, Verizon Wireless "PRL" Database, etc..
    Last edited by tsguy52; 01-01-10 at 11:01 AM.
    01-01-10 10:58 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD