05-16-09 08:08 PM
28 12
tools
    Is it possible for me to switch my verizon service from my storm to a different blackberry from a different company?
    05-13-09 08:36 AM
    Is it possible for me to switch my verizon service from my storm to a different blackberry from a different company?
    It is possible, however it is not probable. The reason being VZW is CDMA and only Sprint is CDMA in the US. VZW does not normally add a PIN and/or EMEI number from another provider. In other words, if VZW didn't sell it to you, they will not activate it on their network.
    05-13-09 09:05 AM
    yup, vzw won't activate it if it's not on their network.
    05-13-09 12:32 PM
    Even now, Verizon is locking it down even more. Not only will they not activate a non-Verizon phone, they will not even sell a phone (even at full-retail) unless you have service with them.
    05-13-09 04:21 PM
    It is possible, however it is not probable. The reason being VZW is CDMA and only Sprint is CDMA in the US. VZW does not normally add a PIN and/or EMEI number from another provider. In other words, if VZW didn't sell it to you, they will not activate it on their network.
    Sprint, plus Alltel, U.S. Cellular and some other lesser known companies are all CDMA, so there are other companies that use cdma.
    05-13-09 05:09 PM
    Sprint, plus Alltel, U.S. Cellular and some other lesser known companies are all CDMA, so there are other companies that use cdma.
    Helio, Virgin, Cricket, Boost, MetroPCS, Sagebrush... I could go on awhile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 09:35 PM
    Alltel was purchased by VZW, that was why I didn't list them.
    05-13-09 11:06 PM
    Alltel was purchased by VZW, that was why I didn't list them.
    The point was Sprint and VZW and even Alltel are not the only CDMA carriers in the US.
    05-13-09 11:27 PM
    can you use altell phones on verizon?
    05-13-09 11:29 PM
    No you can't. Again, Verizon does not allow the activation of ESN numbers that are not in their system.

05-13-09 11:33 PM
    No you can't. Again, Verizon does not allow the activation of ESN numbers that are not in their system.

You're wrong too. The store you went to didn't know what they were doing. As long as it's a CDMA phone, you can take the phone to a Verizon Wireless store ( not an authorized reseller ), and let them know what you want to do. They're supposed to take the phone, and send it off to their Device Evaluation Center where the phone is tested and flashed with Verizon Wirlesses approved software, they enter the ESN/MEID into their Device Management Database ( so the phone can be activated on their network ), and a couple other things, then send the phone back with approval or rejection letter..... Of course, if they are unable to flash the Verizon Wireless software onto the phone, that's where the rejection letter comes in. If you go to a store, and request this, and they tell you it's not possible, tell them to look up "Device Evaluation Center" in info manger.
    05-13-09 11:43 PM
    You're wrong too. The store you went to didn't know what they were doing. As long as it's a CDMA phone, you can take the phone to a Verizon Wireless store ( not an authorized reseller ), and let them know what you want to do. They're supposed to take the phone, and send it off to their Device Evaluation Center where the phone is tested and flashed with Verizon Wirlesses approved software, they enter the ESN/MEID into their Device Management Database ( so the phone can be activated on their network ), and a couple other things, then send the phone back with approval or rejection letter..... Of course, if they are unable to flash the Verizon Wireless software onto the phone, that's where the rejection letter comes in. If you go to a store, and request this, and they tell you it's not possible, tell them to look up "Device Evaluation Center" in info manger.
    Have you or know somebody that has done this? Just wondering how long it would take and are the quick to send the rejection letter
    05-14-09 12:04 AM
    Have you or know somebody that has done this? Just wondering how long it would take and are the quick to send the rejection letter
    Unfortunately no, I don't know anyone who has actually done it. But, from the information I was given, it _DOES_ take a while ( 2 - 3 weeks ). And I am putting my money on the possibility that they make it inconvenient so hardly anyone tries to do it. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.
    05-14-09 12:09 AM
    im sure if you go to verizons my account and go to support i remember seeing a option that said non verizon phones you might want to check it out and ask verizon directly
    05-14-09 12:12 AM
    scurvy is right matter of fact i think it was the ceo of verizon who said this like a year ago my question is will i be able to buy a palm pre and bring to verizon network?
    05-14-09 11:59 AM
    just for future reference, VZW has to lab test and network certify anything to be activated, to prevent it from adversely impacting the network. since other carrier's devices aren't put through the ringer, their ESN isn't put into the "approved device" tables, so when you try to activate it the system will give you an error, unauth ESN or something...
    05-14-09 03:09 PM
    interesting... I was unaware that they would even look at a non-verizon device. Truth is though why shouldnt they.. if they can get a approved device without having to subsidize a cost and gain a person paying another bill its kind of smart..
    05-14-09 06:49 PM
    interesting... I was unaware that they would even look at a non-verizon device. Truth is though why shouldnt they.. if they can get a approved device without having to subsidize a cost and gain a person paying another bill its kind of smart..
    the open network is based on this concept...but idk when that goes into effect wide spread. last fall they were still taking submissions for devices for testing. i haven't heard much about it since then.
    05-14-09 07:22 PM
    to prevent it from adversely impacting the network.
    Can somebody explain to me what a device could do to a Verizons network?
    Since most all cdma devices in the USA usually are on their network or roam on it how can that be an issue. I'm sure somebody will have an answer for me
    05-14-09 08:02 PM
    Can somebody explain to me what a device could do to a Verizons network?
    Since most all cdma devices in the USA usually are on their network or roam on it how can that be an issue. I'm sure somebody will have an answer for me
    all kinds of stuff. i'll get examples for you shortly. gimmie a few mins.
    05-14-09 08:10 PM
    "can't share all of the details, but basically if some devices aren't tuned correctly, they could draw too much bandwidth from the network, degrading service for others"

EDIT: not all devices approved on other carriers operate within "VZW's standards of performance for radio transmission and power consumption"

meaning they might be able to roam on the network, but there is parameters in place to prevent them from having full access to all network services based on the potential issues that could arise from granting said devices full access.

sorry for the vague and basic response. i'm sure part of it is business as well, don't wanna let customers pay another carrier for equipment to use on VZW service, etc.
    Last edited by patches152; 05-14-09 at 08:22 PM.
    05-14-09 08:18 PM
    They could draw too much bandwidth from the network, degrading service for others
    Kinda like the 3G iphone fiasco?
    not all devices approved on other carriers operate within "VZW's standards of performance for radio transmission and power consumption"
    So your saying that certain phones on Sprint,Alltel and other cdma carrier aren't allowed to roam on Verizon?
    05-14-09 08:27 PM
    Kinda like the 3G iphone fiasco?
    kind of like that

So your saying that certain phones on Sprint,Alltel and other cdma carrier aren't allowed to roam on Verizon?
    they are allowed to roam on voice network only, but usually you don't get EVDO or Rev. A, etc...

notice how when people use the storm on T-mobile they can't get 3G? different frequency supported....similar concept, but not exactply the same. make sense?

these are just general potential scenarios. i couldn't get any real examples of real world testing results. but i'm going to use your question for my "Ask Patches" article (see link in my sig.) because i think if we come up with a good, in-depth answer, people will wanna know. keep an eye out over there starting next week to get answers to many questions, some serious, some funny.
    05-14-09 08:31 PM
    scurvy is right matter of fact i think it was the ceo of verizon who said this like a year ago my question is will i be able to buy a palm pre and bring to verizon network?
    No you will not be able too.
    05-14-09 08:36 PM
    No you will not be able too.
    with open network, if its tested and approved then it could potentially work...but it's all speculation at the moment. nothing has moved forward with open network that i've heard of.
    05-14-09 08:46 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD