This has been going on for most of the day, and persists even after restarting the BlackBerry. Many web sites I try to hit using the browser generate the following error:
    Unable to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your administrator.

This is on a Verizon BlackBerry Tour. Everything was working yesterday and before, so something new has happened (and I haven't changed any settings). Persists across full battery-pull reboots.

Did someone at work bork all the BES IT profiles, or is Verizon (or RIM) having issues at present? I'm on the east-coast, by the way (near Philadelphia).

Sites that aren't working include ABC news, Amazon, FedEx and even our own beloved crackberry.com - not minor sites with flakey servers. But almost any site I hit. Some do work, like weather channel, m.cnn.com and Google.

Any help appreciated!
    07-21-09 07:58 PM
    Have you tried sending service books?

Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>Menu>Register Now

You'll get a message that says "Blackberry Registration, your handheld has been registered with the wireless network"

Once you get that message do a battery pull, wait about 1 minute then let it load back up. Should resolve the issue. If not contact Verizon support they may need to change/update some provisioning on your account.
    07-21-09 08:04 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't seem to help.

I guess VZW is my next step? Crap.

Edit: I seem to have solved the problem. I did a Google search for the error message, which brought me to an old thread here. Basically, I changed the default browser from "Blackberry browser" to "Internet browser" and it magically began to work again. Odd.
    Last edited by mbs; 07-21-09 at 08:26 PM.
    07-21-09 08:20 PM
    Quick follow-up -

Seems I have to change "Blackberry browser" to "Internet browser" each time I exit and relaunch the browser; changing the setting doesn't stick once I exit the app.

Could this whole thing be an issue caused by IT department? I'm begining to think it is based on this old thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/una...ervice-122106/
    07-21-09 08:50 PM
    It either has to do with your SP updating their system or there is a tower down n your area. This is annoying but willb pass eventually.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 08:57 PM
    OK. One more quick follow-up -

I thought I was setting the default browser, but I was doing it in the wrong place, apparently. I figured out how to set it (and have it stick) for Internet Browser rather than Blackberry Browser. Still don't know what the difference actually is, but the former seems to work and the latter doesn't.

Guess I'm still a noob.
    07-21-09 09:04 PM
    Try resetting the browser's general options to "default" and try it to help identify the problem
    07-21-09 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD