11-15-09 05:54 PM
30 12
tools
    Verizon needs to wake up.

10 year BB user, really enjoy my BB Tour and are very satisfied with Verizons network, except that I was on the phone with them for 38 minutes yesterday and 3 agents later and really not happy regarding a "FIRST MONTHS ACCESS FREE" offer presented to a Verizon Customer when you connect through tethering BUT when you actually try to accept the offer, it gives an error 500 and NONE of the agents or customer service could find ANY reference to the offer even after I gave them the URL below!

What I did: Tethered BB with Win 7 DUN, connected and opened a browser, url pops up:
    https://dunsp.vzw.com/selfProvisioning/SelfProvisioningServlet, once I accepted their terms and conditions error 500 pops up, telling you to call customer service. Called *611, Sorry sir we cannot find any reference on our web site to a free 30 day offer so we cannot offer it to you - So I pointed them to the URL , Sorry sir we cannot find any reference on our web site to a free 30 day offer so we cannot offer it to you

And so on and on so I politely asked the last agent to enable the feature as a paid option and that I will gladly share this absolutely ridiculous situation with my fellow bbers.

What really should happen is VZW should wake up.

What really (2) should happen is the VZW should allow us to tether without any monthly charge.
    11-06-09 11:02 AM
    Verizon needs to wake up.

10 year BB user, really enjoy my BB Tour and are very satisfied with Verizons network, except that I was on the phone with them for 38 minutes yesterday and 3 agents later and really not happy regarding a "FIRST MONTHS ACCESS FREE" offer presented to a Verizon Customer when you connect through tethering BUT when you actually try to accept the offer, it gives an error 500 and NONE of the agents or customer service could find ANY reference to the offer even after I gave them the URL below!

What I did: Tethered BB with Win 7 DUN, connected and opened a browser, url pops up:
    https://dunsp.vzw.com/selfProvisioning/SelfProvisioningServlet, once I accepted their terms and conditions error 500 pops up, telling you to call customer service. Called *611, Sorry sir we cannot find any reference on our web site to a free 30 day offer so we cannot offer it to you - So I pointed them to the URL , Sorry sir we cannot find any reference on our web site to a free 30 day offer so we cannot offer it to you

And so on and on so I politely asked the last agent to enable the feature as a paid option and that I will gladly share this absolutely ridiculous situation with my fellow bbers.

What really should happen is VZW should wake up.

What really (2) should happen is the VZW should allow us to tether without any monthly charge.
    I use tetherberry. It is a one time fee and I have been tethering this way for more than 6 months now and no charges from verizon.
    11-06-09 11:27 AM
    What will happen............neither of those two things.
    11-06-09 11:28 AM
    Thanks for the laugh I really needed it.
    11-06-09 11:30 AM
    I use tetherberry. It is a one time fee and I have been tethering this way for more than 6 months now and no charges from verizon.
    Yup - and VZW's automated audit process goes back up to three years. They have been known to back-bill for this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 11:46 AM
    Keep your jockstrap on.... That's not a scam just because it didn't work for you. We did have a 1 month free promotion. Just because its not valid any longer doesn't make it a scam, you putting all your rage into a few paragraphs doesn't make it a scam... I can go online and find webpages full of offers from retailers but if I print out the coupon and they don't honor it doesn't make it a scam because I don't know when the offer expired, it could have been from a year ago. Unless you receive something in writing from verizon wireless it doesn't exist and its not a scam.

11-06-09 11:49 AM
    CSR's were obviously clueless. I tethered for a month free and it works. No scam dude it just didn't provision for your account correctly.
    11-06-09 11:56 AM
    Blah... Just use tetherberry.. Your better off.. So is VZN
    11-06-09 12:49 PM
    Blah... Just use tetherberry.. Your better off.. So is VZN
    Sure you are - especially when they back-bill you for months of usage that violates the agreement you signed.

11-06-09 12:52 PM
    Wow.........
    11-06-09 01:22 PM
    Sure you are - especially when they back-bill you for months of usage that violates the agreement you signed.

Would they pull your service contract for that? Similar to if you got caught jail-breaking an iPhone?
    11-06-09 01:26 PM
    Visited the link you posted. Noticed this:

** Mobile Broadband Connect free offer: Only valid with $15, $30 and $49.99 feature. One time monthly access credit only. Cancel by calling *611 or 1-800-922-0204 within 1st month to avoid future $15, $30 or $49.99 monthly fee; credit may not be on first bill, you can cancel anytime. Standard Monthly Access fees added to your Verizon Wireless Calling Plan thereafter. Offer good through 12/31/09.

Oops.......
    11-06-09 01:30 PM
    No, they'll just back bill you as Twins said.

There was a kid on here a few months back that had used tetherberry. He got a bill for $3000 at the end of the month as he used it constantly. He had no contract, so he was billed by the minute. Eventually, they worked out a deal with him for I think $500 or $600, but remember....especially with Verizon. If they say don't do it. DONT..lol...or, go to a different carrier.

Not that I agree with it, but i wouldn't want to see you guys get screwed. Explain that big *** bill to your wife/husband/mother/father/employer! YIKES
    11-06-09 01:35 PM
    Would they pull your service contract for that? Similar to if you got caught jail-breaking an iPhone?
    Jailbreaking the iPhone voids your phone warranty. I think AT&T would have reservations about hitting your service for that.

Tethering, on the other habd, is expressly prohibited without a plan & is service related.

A lot of folks think it is harmless, that they are paying for unlimited data - again, only on data rendered on the phone - but the bandwidth demands of a laptop are huge, compared with a smartphone, so peaks & throughputs are much greater. Also, there are trackable telltales that will alert carriers that you're doing something you're not supposed to be doing - Windows7 signature on a BlackBerry line, for example. Flash rendering. Microsoft Outlook email activity, etc. can all flag their sniffers.

They don't even have to warn you of adverse action - your service could go dead in mid-call. Your number would be locked up, so switching carriers wouldn't be much of an option.

11-06-09 02:11 PM
    They sure will!!!!
    11-06-09 03:28 PM
    why do you add the feature and call in if it shows up on your bill, with that ad you have, they would gladley give you a credit
    11-06-09 03:51 PM
    I think the biggest problem is, the cs rep should have pulled up the link to look at what the customer was seeing. As I bolded in my copying from that link, there is currently a promotion going on.

EDIT: I don't think there was any intention to scam, etc on verizon's part, just a misunderstanding.
    11-06-09 05:02 PM
    I am normally a very patient guy (we'll - until I had kids - which I love and appreciate very much), but Verizon just rubbed me the wrong way on this one -

This is a current offer presented to their customers that their CSR's need to know about.

Still like their network much more than the rest and have no plans to change carrier - just wanted to share some frustration and voice my opinion that this should be a free service included in our BB plans.

TetherBerry sounds like a good option, but I did not go that way because no bluetooth support (yet) and I don't want a surprise bill in the mail.

Verizon has a choice - listen to their business users, or ignore them. We also have a choice ...
    11-06-09 05:16 PM
    TetherBerry sounds like a good option, but I did not go that way because no bluetooth support (yet) and I don't want a surprise bill in the mail.

Verizon has a choice - listen to their business users, or ignore them. We also have a choice ...
    Before I start, know I am not picking on you - but the above does illustrate the thoughts of some who seem to be less honest than you.

You do have a choice - AT&T, Sprint & T-Mobile for starters, since they round out the big four & represent the vast majority of cell phone users.

VZW requires a tethering plan - that much we've established.

But so does AT&T.

And Sprint.

And T-Mobile.

So, where is your choice?

Now - it is estimated that even if nobody dropped their current home- or office-based broadband connection, if tethering were free, the network load would rise 20-40%. This would mean one of two things - either the carriers would have to spend millions to upgrade capacity, or their customers would all see their service mimic iPhones in Austin.

If the carriers have the expense of increasing bandwidth - due to licensing, this isn't always possible - the costs will be passed on to everyone. Do you think grandma would be happy seeing her monthly flip phone rate jump by $10 just because her carrier offered free tethering?

Don't forget - businesses don't pay more on anything - taxes, expenses, etc. They pass the costs on to consumers - all of them. Want to sock it to big business? You're only hurting yourself.

It should be obvious why all carriers charge for tethering - Sprint cuts plan rates to lure customers. Don't you think they would also try to lure customers with free tethering? They did for awhile & it almost broke the bank.

There are those who say the woman who pocketed the meat at the grocery store isn't really a thief - she just needs to eat & the big, bad grocery corporation can afford it. But the reality is that when she takes that meat, your milk & eggs just went up in price. Same thing happens with cell carriers. If it wasn't for the people trying to get away with things with cell carriers, your bill would drop by probably 10%.

Whatever you get for free, someone has to pay for.

Think about that the next time you think that you shouldn't have to pay for something most don't need. Or when you think you should get the latest phone upgrade for free when you didn't fulfill your part of your agreement.

11-06-09 06:16 PM
    ^^+1000 Twins^^
    11-06-09 06:29 PM
    ^^+1000 Twins^^
    Amen to that!
    11-06-09 07:15 PM
    ^^+1000 Twins^^

Yup. +1 on that.
    11-06-09 07:26 PM
    I'm new to this BB world, one month, and I'm hooked. Glad I searched this. Thanks for the "check" TwinsX2Dad. Much appreciated!
    11-07-09 01:56 PM
    Twins - thanks for stating some good social science facts, your points are well made regarding not expecting something for nothing, our society just won't work if that is the case.

Regarding some of the facts, I was a previous T-Mobile customer and did not have to pay extra on my BB plan to allow tethering - unfortunately their network does not provide what Verizon provides as to speed, but point is they did not charge extra.

I should not water down my first point (borderlining false advertising) with the second (free services for no money)

I'll attach the offer after a month of using Verizon's service and see if Verizon honor their offer - my hopes are low after 3 CSR's did not know about it, but will let you know the outcome.
    11-09-09 05:42 PM
    Regarding some of the facts, I was a previous T-Mobile customer and did not have to pay extra on my BB plan to allow tethering - unfortunately their network does not provide what Verizon provides as to speed, but point is they did not charge extra.
    I know that, at one point, T-Mobile did not have tethering restrictions. However, that is no longer the case. Per T-Mobile Terms and Conditions (may not be viewable on mobile devices):

29. Additional Terms for Data Plans and Features

The following terms apply to your data plan or feature (Data Plan). To the extent any term in your Data Plan expressly conflicts with the general Terms and Conditions, which also apply to your service, the term in your Data Plan will govern. Please read your Data Plan carefully.

1. Permissible and Prohibited Uses
    Your Data Plan is intended for Web browsing, messaging, and similar activities on your device and not on any other equipment. Unless explicitly permitted by your Data Plan, other uses, including for example, tethering your device to a personal computer or other hardware, are not permitted.

Examples of prohibited uses include but are not limited to: (a) server devices or host computer applications, including continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients, bots or similar routines that could disrupt net user groups or email use by others or other applications that denigrate network capacity or functionality; (b) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections; (c) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other users or systems to use either T-Mobiles services or the network-based resources of others, including the generation or dissemination of viruses, malware or denial of service attacks; (d) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, T-Mobiles or another entitys network or systems; or (e) running software or other devices that maintain continuously active Internet connections when a computers connection would otherwise be idle, or keep alive functions. For example, you cannot use a Data Plan for Web broadcasting, or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or supervisory control and data acquisition devices.
    11-11-09 07:51 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD