03-01-11 03:04 PM
    Not sure how this is news since it's already been said unlimited will be going away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-11 04:46 PM
    i dont blame them. with 4G LTE already here. im sure bit-torrent client developers are working on making a torrent client compatible with i0S/Android devices.
    03-01-11 04:49 PM
    Yes, nothing surprising with this statement.

03-01-11 10:31 PM
    I have noticed many people in a panic saying, "oh well if they change that, they're changing my contract and I can cancel without an ETF."

Tell me if I'm wrong (which I am frequently...)

Data is a feature, not part of the contract. I came to this conclusion by thinking, well you can drop or add data whenever you want. The only part that is dependant is the device you're using. You can drop the feature as long as you stay true to the contract. Yes, you can change your number of minutes, but you cannot drop the plan entirely without an ETF. Data is just a feature.
    03-02-11 09:28 AM
    I have noticed many people in a panic saying, "oh well if they change that, they're changing my contract and I can cancel without an ETF."

Tell me if I'm wrong (which I am frequently...)

Data is a feature, not part of the contract. I came to this conclusion by thinking, well you can drop or add data whenever you want. The only part that is dependant is the device you're using. You can drop the feature as long as you stay true to the contract. Yes, you can change your number of minutes, but you cannot drop the plan entirely without an ETF. Data is just a feature.
    The way it has always worked is you would be grandfathered into the specific feature, therefore not effecting your contract. Unless you made changes to your device or features, you would be doing so in accordance to your customer agreement.
    03-02-11 10:38 AM
    So if you are considering an iphone on Verizon, and you are a heavy user, you had better get signed up QUICK and get your unlimited plan in place before the change.
    03-02-11 10:43 AM
    So if you are considering an iphone on Verizon, and you are a heavy user, you had better get signed up QUICK and get your unlimited plan in place before the change.
    Yup. I agree.

03-02-11 11:55 AM
    Maybe it's just me, but I think my iPhone is less of a data hog then my droid X was. I used about half of my averaged data this month with my iPhone. Maybe I'm on wifi more since I just always keep it on. Either way. I used under 2gb this month. Not too bad. I would still not get rid of unlimited unless had to, but i think I could be okay with it.

03-02-11 08:09 PM
    Maybe it's just me, but I think my iPhone is less of a data hog then my droid X was. I used about half of my averaged data this month with my iPhone. Maybe I'm on wifi more since I just always keep it on. Either way. I used under 2gb this month. Not too bad. I would still not get rid of unlimited unless had to, but i think I could be okay with it.

I agree. I do attribute it to the fact that the battery lasts long enough that I just leave my wifi on all the time. With Android I was always keeping it off to save battery unless I was browsing the internet for an extended period of time. 15 days with a Fascinate, I hit 2.5 GB. 12 days with my iPhone, less than 300 MB. This is all witht he same usage.
    03-03-11 09:01 AM
    I agree. I do attribute it to the fact that the battery lasts long enough that I just leave my wifi on all the time. With Android I was always keeping it off to save battery unless I was browsing the internet for an extended period of time. 15 days with a Fascinate, I hit 2.5 GB. 12 days with my iPhone, less than 300 MB. This is all witht he same usage.
    Compare that those going from Blackberry to iPhone ...

20 days on my Bold ... 18 MB.
    2 days on my iPhone ... 250 MB
    03-03-11 10:03 AM
    If you don't have an iphone or intend to get one, this does nothing to you. Not an issue for me. Never wanted an iphone. Atleast until they decide to end unlimited for everyone else as well.
    03-03-11 10:06 AM
    If you don't have an iphone or intend to get one, this does nothing to you. Not an issue for me. Never wanted an iphone. Atleast until they decide to end unlimited for everyone else as well.
    Yes, Verizon will be ending unlimited data for all Smartphones soon.

Verizon Pulling the Plug on its Unlimited Data Plans | Top Tech Reviews
    03-03-11 11:31 AM
    I don't know why this is such a surprise. This was mentioned when the iPhone was first dropped - the unlimited data plan would be a LIMITED TIME offer, and eventually swap over to tiered pricing.

IMHO, tiered data is economically beneficial, IF THE TIERS ARE ADJUSTED PROPERLY. I wish VZW would come out with something like 200MB | 1GB | 5GB, priced accordingly. I only ever use less than 1GB and pay $30; the same goes for a gazillion other people. For the ~10% of the masses that use over 5GB, really, re-evaluate why your phone is a workhorse and not a tablet/netbook/laptop instead. the way at&t has their tiers set up is stupid. (again, imho) ...
    03-06-11 03:08 PM
    I don't know why this is such a surprise. This was mentioned when the iPhone was first dropped - the unlimited data plan would be a LIMITED TIME offer, and eventually swap over to tiered pricing.

IMHO, tiered data is economically beneficial, IF THE TIERS ARE ADJUSTED PROPERLY. I wish VZW would come out with something like 200MB | 1GB | 5GB, priced accordingly. I only ever use less than 1GB and pay $30; the same goes for a gazillion other people. For the ~10% of the masses that use over 5GB, really, re-evaluate why your phone is a workhorse and not a tablet/netbook/laptop instead. the way at&t has their tiers set up is stupid. (again, imho) ...
    AT&T's data plan of $15 for 200MB/month is discriminatory.. it has preference to us, the Blackberry users, who are, on a heavy use will most likely hit the 180ish mark per month.
    the $25 for 2GB/month is, i guess for the non-BB consumers, iphones, android, windows 7 etc.
    my wife who has an iphone 4 has an average of 2.5-3.0GB/month... so it's a good thing that we're both grandfathered to the $30/month unlimited data.
    03-06-11 03:24 PM
    I Phone !!! I Phone !!! Who cares? Just another example of Big Red selling out to the masses.
    03-06-11 03:38 PM
    It is my understanding that Blackberries use only about 1/3 the amount of data as a iPhone or Android. Is this correct?
    03-08-11 08:43 PM
    It is my understanding that Blackberries use only about 1/3 the amount of data as a iPhone or Android. Is this correct?
    BIS data is compressed, so yes it uses a lot less data. Also push notifications on various apps tend to reduce the amount data consumed from frequent polling.
    03-08-11 08:44 PM
    I currently have three blackberry's on my plan, they are all on the 15/150 plan. We get no where near that on any of the phones. My boy will be upgrading his next month, and it looks like just about every phone out there now needs a data plan, I'll be curious to see what the plan will be for him. He won't be a heavy user.

Personally I like to see tiered pricing, I'm not sure what it is now.
    03-12-11 03:18 PM
    BIS data is compressed, so yes it uses a lot less data. Also push notifications on various apps tend to reduce the amount data consumed from frequent polling.
    Just a note that "compression" does not necessarily mean "lossy". There are many compression algorithms, and some are lossless and some are lossy. You can in general get more compression if you are willing to tolerate some loss of information (like for video streams). I don't know exactly how BIS deals with this.

With respect to the iPhone, it has come out that the at&t version was/is doing some real "bad citizen" things with the GSM protocol that really increased network overhead.
    03-12-11 08:23 PM
    Interesting information. I don't know enough about the technical aspects of this to totally understand what happened, but I do know that most of the folks I know who'd been using AT&T for years started experiencing a LOT more problems with general service issues (not being able to get a signal in areas where they'd previously had fairly decent coverage, more dropped calls, and such) once the iPhones became so prolific.
    03-12-11 11:56 PM
    This is actually an interesting topic, I had just gone into the Verizon store when interested in shopping for a phone and asked one of the sales clerks if what I read about the unlimited data coming to an end was true and he mentioned that he hadn't heard of it happening anytime soon. From only using the iPhone 4 for about two weeks(having issues with the battery life and other usability issues) and being in the time frame to be able to switch to the blackberry curve. I noticed that my data usage during those two weeks, running a few apps and Ebuddy IM, while looking up a few sites here and there amongst youtube streaming video I had almost reached 1GB for incoming and outgoing data. I thought that was a pretty high number from a technical standpoint so seeing if there are other "heavy" users I can see Verizon going towards a tiered data package as it might cripple the overall speed. Anyone else's thoughts on if this is in the foreseeable future?
    03-18-11 03:10 PM
    This is actually an interesting topic, I had just gone into the Verizon store when interested in shopping for a phone and asked one of the sales clerks if what I read about the unlimited data coming to an end was true and he mentioned that he hadn't heard of it happening anytime soon. From only using the iPhone 4 for about two weeks(having issues with the battery life and other usability issues) and being in the time frame to be able to switch to the blackberry curve. I noticed that my data usage during those two weeks, running a few apps and Ebuddy IM, while looking up a few sites here and there amongst youtube streaming video I had almost reached 1GB for incoming and outgoing data. I thought that was a pretty high number from a technical standpoint so seeing if there are other "heavy" users I can see Verizon going towards a tiered data package as it might cripple the overall speed. Anyone else's thoughts on if this is in the foreseeable future?
    Couple of reasons. Usually the store employees have no insight beyond what you can get online easily and publicly (they'd have to have some higher up connection somewhere else or be a manager getting promo material. Even then, often the promo material leaks online...). All it will take is enough android users + iphone users and the tiered plans are all but a guarantee (just a matter of when, which is hard to predict).

And yeah, the average data usage goes way up. Non push chat-apps poll the servers constantly in order to get updates and stay connected. Full webpages can use several megabytes per page (tack on flash advertisements to this and watch it multiply REAL fast). None of it is compressed data...

Android phones offer a ton of free apps because they are often ADVERTISING SUPPORTED. That means they suck up network data in the background regardless of if the app itself is network centric.

Widget support on the homescreen gets people to add stuff that often has to poll the network for updates (in addition to the actual apps updating themselves).
    Last edited by papped; 03-18-11 at 04:00 PM.
    03-18-11 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD