Are there any in-store VZW sales reps around? Just a quick question for one, or a few, of you.

Thanks!
    10-15-09 09:14 AM
    Yup, right here.
    10-15-09 09:14 AM
    Have a rather strange question for you. How do you like your job? There is a VZW store near me with several openings in a high traffic area. I'm thinking of going for it, but I wanted to see how things worked there. I have heard many many good things about it, but I just thought I would ask and see!

Thanks for your help!
    10-15-09 09:18 AM
    If you want other opinions (which you might get here too) you can try asking in this exsisting thread which many VZW reps subscribe too....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ask-vzw-rep-74197/
    10-15-09 09:21 AM
    Thanks pkcable! I'll throw the question out there as well.
    10-15-09 09:22 AM
    Well....the company offers great benefits and great compensation in a fast paced environment. If that sounds like something you are interested in, apply. Quotas are competitive so you need to be up to speed with your "stuff"
    10-15-09 09:23 AM
    Okay - that doesn't sound bad. I spend a lot of time between this site, BGR, and gizmodo, so I enjoy reading about new phones and technology. I currently work in commissioned sales, so thats not a change.

Soooo.. now comes the big question.. money..

I have a good idea of what the base salary is, but is there any way you could give me a ballpark on what the avg sales rep makes? Obviously I don't expect you to tell me how much you make per year, but any insight would be helpful.

I currently sell fitness memberships at a high end facility, but with the current economy, it's harder to get people to see the value. However, with VZW being one of the "big 3" in the wireless communications business, I imagine it's a little easier to get people to come in to the store.
    10-15-09 09:30 AM
    I would say considering the saturation of major markets today, you would be looking at high 40's-mid to high 50's for salary plus commision.

I will tell you one thing.....it's not all just playing with and learning about all the coolest new phones. You hear people complaining about how some reps know nothing about the phones..........one thing to keep in mind, when you get right down to it, you are there to sell service, not phones. You don't get training on every single device we offer. On the major releases, like the upcoming Storm 2 and the HTC Imagio, you get some pretty in depth training, but it's a computer based learning module, not a classroom day long setting. Of course the more you know about the equipment, the bigger customer base develops for you. Just wanted to give you a heads up there because I came in with a huge interest in the industry and it's products.

Another thing I will make you aware of is the hours. Not like you will be working 50-60 hours or anything like that, but the hours of operation of the store make it a challenge to structure your life. It was hard for me at first because I was a store manager for a very popular retail chain before this position and had more of a personal life than I do now. But if it means anything to you, you will work around it. Good Luck.
    10-15-09 09:58 AM
    I would say considering the saturation of major markets today, you would be looking at high 40's-mid to high 50's for salary plus commision.

I will tell you one thing.....it's not all just playing with and learning about all the coolest new phones. You hear people complaining about how some reps know nothing about the phones..........one thing to keep in mind, when you get right down to it, you are there to sell service, not phones. You don't get training on every single device we offer. On the major releases, like the upcoming Storm 2 and the HTC Imagio, you get some pretty in depth training, but it's a computer based learning module, not a classroom day long setting. Of course the more you know about the equipment, the bigger customer base develops for you. Just wanted to give you a heads up there because I came in with a huge interest in the industry and it's products.

Another thing I will make you aware of is the hours. Not like you will be working 50-60 hours or anything like that, but the hours of operation of the store make it a challenge to structure your life. It was hard for me at first because I was a store manager for a very popular retail chain before this position and had more of a personal life than I do now. But if it means anything to you, you will work around it. Good Luck.
    That was a GREAT description. I understand that having the knowledge of the phone can help, but you still have to be able to SELL. So, I think I am going to put myself out there for it. I mentioned that I currently sell fitness memberships, but I didn't mention that we are actually the highest priced facility in the area. I believe I have developed a good knowledge of sales techniques and just general customer service presence.

As for the schedule, I have a crazy one now (50hrs), so I should be okay with that.

Thanks for all your help!
    10-15-09 10:10 AM
    That was a GREAT description. I understand that having the knowledge of the phone can help, but you still have to be able to SELL. So, I think I am going to put myself out there for it. I mentioned that I currently sell fitness memberships, but I didn't mention that we are actually the highest priced facility in the area. I believe I have developed a good knowledge of sales techniques and just general customer service presence.

As for the schedule, I have a crazy one now (50hrs), so I should be okay with that.

Good to hear you have selling experience, I'm sure they would pick you over others.
    10-15-09 10:17 AM
    I dunno. I hope so! Having a discount on phone service would be nice too!
    10-15-09 10:18 AM
    I dunno. I hope so! Having a discount on phone service would be nice too!
    A very nice discount too.
    10-15-09 10:39 AM
    Awesome! Hey WV, check ur PM when u get a chance, had one other question for you.

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 10:42 AM
    Okay - that doesn't sound bad. I spend a lot of time between this site, BGR, and gizmodo, so I enjoy reading about new phones and technology. I currently work in commissioned sales, so thats not a change.

Soooo.. now comes the big question.. money..

I have a good idea of what the base salary is, but is there any way you could give me a ballpark on what the avg sales rep makes? Obviously I don't expect you to tell me how much you make per year, but any insight would be helpful.

I currently sell fitness memberships at a high end facility, but with the current economy, it's harder to get people to see the value. However, with VZW being one of the "big 3" in the wireless communications business, I imagine it's a little easier to get people to come in to the store.
    Not gonna get into specifics here on money but here's a good guideline that holds pretty true.

I don't know what base salary number you have in mind...but a below average rep will make the same in commission on he/she does in salary over the course of a year. A average rep will double it, a good rep will triple or quadruple it and the top reps will atleast go 5x over. Keep in mind that's just commission. So take that number and add in your original salary guess. If your guess was right, this won't be far off the totals.
    10-15-09 10:44 AM
    Thanks! You guys have all been great. I think this is really something I am going to shoot for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 10:48 AM
    Not gonna get into specifics here on money but here's a good guideline that holds pretty true.

I don't know what base salary number you have in mind...but a below average rep will make the same in commission on he/she does in salary over the course of a year. A average rep will double it, a good rep will triple or quadruple it and the top reps will atleast go 5x over. Keep in mind that's just commission. So take that number and add in your original salary guess. If your guess was right, this won't be far off the totals.
    Again, saturation of market has a lot to do with how much you make these days. My first year with the company (nearly 3 years ago) was my best.
    10-15-09 11:28 AM
    Okay - so this is seeming to be more lucrative than what I am currently doing, and I would have a shorter/easier commute.

Time to put in the application.

I am also going to stop by that store today to talk to some of the reps, just see how things are there. Is there any benefit to talking to the local manager, or is it out of their hands?
    10-15-09 11:45 AM

This is why I cant work for a retail location ( as much as I would LOOOVE to )
    I cant have unpredictable hours because of my daughter. I'd love to have the commission and the customer base but I just cant do it.
    The more store reps who are up on phone technology the better. just dont go selling a blackberry to nana... nooo bueno.
    10-15-09 12:01 PM
    This is why I cant work for a retail location ( as much as I would LOOOVE to )
    I cant have unpredictable hours because of my daughter. I'd love to have the commission and the customer base but I just cant do it.
    The more store reps who are up on phone technology the better. just dont go selling a blackberry to nana... nooo bueno.
    You would be surprised at the number of older folks who use them and keep them and are very literate with them.
    10-15-09 08:34 PM
    Again, saturation of market has a lot to do with how much you make these days. My first year with the company (nearly 3 years ago) was my best.
    Very true. That's why I was just kind of making a round-about guideline there. It's pretty consistent with what I've seen, but obviously will fluctuate some.
    10-15-09 09:17 PM
    You would be surprised at the number of older folks who use them and keep them and are very literate with them.
    seriously.. the ability to recieve emails from their kids + pictures without being tied down to a computer is huge.

and at 30 a month, it's a lot cheaper they were paying to get internet if they travelled (or disconnect fees)
    10-15-09 11:32 PM
    It all depends on the person. The old folks who travel and want pix usually have a laptop to get their stuff on.
    10-16-09 03:29 AM
    From what I have heard the business office sales/ govt sales is where you want to be if you are a verizon rep. Consistent hours, and very good money.
    10-16-09 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD