Verizons 4G Network Leaves Other Carriers in the Dust | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Have you been wondering if that new 4G smartphone you purchased is really getting 4G speeds? Wonder no longer.

RootMetrics performed an extensive study to determine how each networks 4G speeds are really holding up to their claims.

Their findings showed that Verizons LTE network performed with a 100% data success rate. Average data speeds were between 4 and 14.5 times faster than competitors, and average upload speeds were between 4.7 and 49.3 times faster.

The testing was performed across the Seattle area.

The phone models tested included the HTC Thunderbolt (T-Mobile), HTC Inspire (AT&T), HTC Evo (Sprint), and Samsung Galaxy S (Verizon) . RootMetrics CEO said that the smartphone model and its hardware had very little to do with 4G performance that is almost all network related.

Wired has previously broken down what each carrier means by 4G, and what speeds should be expected from each service. Verizons LTE network promises speeds of 5-12 Mbps down and 1-5 Mbps up; AT&Ts HSPA+ network should provide 6Mbps down (and they plan to upgrade to LTE in 2011); Sprints WiMax technology promises an average of 3-6 Mbps down and 0.6-1.4 Mbps up; and T-Mobiles HSPA+ is supposed to provide 5-10 Mbps down. AT&T has reportedly been capping 4G speeds on Android handsets, but this has not been definitively verified.

Over in Oakland, CA, the folks at TechnoBuffalo decided to perform a 4G speedtest of their own using the HTC Inspire and Thunderbolt.

Using SpeedTest.nets services and the phones WiFi Hotspot modes, they discovered median speeds of 8.85 Mbps down and 3.68 up on Verizons LTE network, and 2.16 Mbps down and .16 up on AT&Ts HSPA+ service on par with RootMetrics results.

RootMetrics was careful to point out that merely achieving high data speeds doesnt mean much unless it happens on a regular basis, though. They found that Verizons 4G download speeds were greater than 10 Mbps about 90% of the time, and their upload speeds were between 5 and 10 Mbps 100% of the time.

And Verizons average upload speeds were faster than every other carriers average download speeds by 37%.

A graph of how often each 4G service achieved a certain range of download speeds (from 0-500Kbps to greater than 10Mbps) shows Verizon dominating the high end of the spectrum, AT&T spending most of its time in the lower half of the spectrum, and Sprint and T-Mobiles services ranging widely throughout.

How will AT&T and T-Mobiles recent merger affect their 4G services? Thats yet to be seen.

Our results stand alone and provide interesting context around consumer data experience for both carriers networks in the Seattle area, says a representative from RootMetrics.

Until it is known how and if the two carriers will combine their networks, its difficult to say how the merger will affect their future 4G service. But its safe to say, unless its LTE, it wont hold a candle to Verizons network.
    03-21-11 05:36 AM
    Was just going to post this
    03-22-11 04:54 AM
    Is it really a surprise that a LTE network leaves HSDPA+ non-4g networks in the dust... Might make more sense to compare when the other carriers actually have 4g.
    03-22-11 01:35 PM
    The other companies are calling them 4g. So why not compare

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 03:48 PM
    Because most of the people on here aren't your average stupid consumers?

I don't have to compare 3g to edge networks to know 3g is going to be much faster.

Leave it for the generic blog posts that re-hash articles like mad.
    03-22-11 03:59 PM
    Because most of the people on here aren't your average stupid consumers?

I don't have to compare 3g to edge networks to know 3g is going to be much faster.

Leave it for the generic blog posts that re-hash articles like mad.

I don't know if you're purposely being dense or if you missed my whole.post. AT&T/Sprint are advertising that they have 4g networks. Why would we not compare them?

03-22-11 06:55 PM
    Sigh...nm...

You are missing the point.
    03-22-11 07:04 PM
    I want to join in on the LTE fun! Sacramento, CA is supposedly getting LTE in 2011!! Yay!!

03-22-11 10:08 PM
    Did anyone else catch that the article states that the HTC Thunderbolt was used on T-Mobile and the Samsung Galaxy S was used on Verizon?

Hehe.
    03-22-11 10:57 PM
    Haha yeah, that's a big blunder. :P

When I had my G2, the fastest I got on T-Mobile 4G was about 8Mbps. I got my Thunderbolt yesterday and tested that and I pulled down 13Mbps easy. Crazy!
    03-23-11 12:33 PM
    The G2 is only a 14.4Mbps device as is the MT4G. The only 21Mbps device is the Galaxy S 4G and upcoming Sidekick 4G. Dual Cell HSPA+ gives speed in the 20Mbit range.
    03-25-11 07:49 PM
    Sigh...nm...

You are missing the point.
    Sorry, but I think you are missing the point... we were all noobs at one point and didn't know the difference between edge, 3G and 4G, LTE and WiMax, or CDMA and GSM. It was posted in the hopes that it might be helpful to someone so that maybe, just maybe, they can eventually be as smart as you obviously are.
    03-31-11 01:46 PM
    Reading most of the responses here, I have a feeling your point is lost on this audience...

Unless the people quoting what phones support what level of HSPA+ don't know the difference, which I doubt...
    03-31-11 01:55 PM
    Agreed. Those of us posting know the difference, but not everyone who reads the thread posts to it and knows there is a difference between the network types. They only hear 4G and believe that AT&T has a true 4G network (I know, I know, technically VZW is true 4G yet). For those people, this article doesn't teach them the difference between the networks, but at least they will know the true difference in speeds between the carriers and get the faster speeds they're looking for.

BTW, I reread my original post papped, and it sounded rude. Wasn't meant to be.
    03-31-11 05:58 PM
    It's very fast, I was amazed!
    03-31-11 06:00 PM
    Well I guess the last sentence was a little smartass on purpose, but not the rest of it.
    03-31-11 06:01 PM
    FYI, a word of caution about early adoption as well...

Latency speeds are really low right now (sub 100ms, etc), because usage has just started. Similar to how highspeed broadband was back in the day, expect reality to settle in after a while once a much larger number of users are actually on the network (granted, it will still be a large margin faster than most HSPA+ networks or standard 3G networks). This is because all of the 3g users (which there are probably 100000:1 ratio or more 3g users to 4g users right now) right now are not sharing the 4g network, but it will be very different once a lot of them migrate over...
    Last edited by papped; 03-31-11 at 06:05 PM.
    03-31-11 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD