03-12-09 10:49 AM
60 123
tools
    I loved my e815. Still keep it as a back-up phone and wife was using it for 2 months from when her phone died till her renew was up. VZ wouldn't speed up the re-up date.
    03-08-09 07:39 PM
    VZW will let you have your renewal 30 days prior to the NE2 date. A store may not accommadate this, I know CS will.
    03-08-09 09:34 PM
    Is there anyway to have the internal GPS unlocked?

Also, is geotagging w/ the internal camera disabled?
    03-11-09 02:04 PM
    The internal GPS is not locked. The network doesn't allow access to third-party apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 02:11 PM
    The internal GPS is not locked. The network doesn't allow access to third-party apps.

There is obvious progress in this department however as is shown by the Storm which has a completely unlocked GPS usable by any third party application...big progress from when this post started in August.
    03-11-09 02:16 PM
    There is obvious progress in this department however as is shown by the Storm which has a completely unlocked GPS usable by any third party application...big progress from when this post started in August.
    I wasn't aware of this, I thought GPS on all blackberries was locked only to VZ Nav.

Any speculation on whether or not the new Niagra will have a gps usable by 3rd party apps on Verizon?
    03-11-09 02:24 PM
    I wasn't aware of this, I thought GPS on all blackberries was locked only to VZ Nav.

Any speculation on whether or not the new Niagra will have a gps usable by 3rd party apps on Verizon?
    The curve (with software update) and the Storm both have fully unlocked GPS in them so I don't see why they would go back to their old ways by locking down the Niagara.

On my storm I use GPS for vznav (I really like the service), weatherbug, google maps/latitude, blackberry maps, and Where.
    03-11-09 02:28 PM
    The curve (with software update) and the Storm both have fully unlocked GPS in them so I don't see why they would go back to their old ways by locking down the Niagara.

On my storm I use GPS for vznav (I really like the service), weatherbug, google maps/latitude, blackberry maps, and Where.
    Wow, thanks for the info. I must have not dug deep enough in the forums. I was still under the impression that the Curve on verizon was limited to VZnav.

VZnav is a fine program, and i've used it on my Moto Rizr from time to time, but I now have a standalone GPS in my car and would only need to use GPS in a pinch on my phone. Google maps while walking around the city would be useful, and I don't feel like paying for VZnav when there are better alternatives for free.
    03-11-09 02:40 PM
    Different GPS chip in the Storm. It is capable of standalone operation. What VZW approved with the Curve was access for BBMaps with OS4.5, as RIM made data improvements to reduce network load.

BBMaps on either the Storm or Curve use the assisted GPS function.

The Curve GPS chip is not capable of standalone operation; only network assisted.

03-11-09 02:47 PM
    it was my understanding that with the curve and pearl you could use GPS with Blackberry maps if you upgrade to 4.5. I've been using it and it works well.
    Granted I don't have all the bells and whistles of VZnav but it still works.
    03-12-09 10:49 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD