03-12-09 09:49 AM
60 123
tools
    I don't think that would be possible, they would more than likely have to block bluetooth, which they wouldn't do.. If i understand it correctly, the bluetooth doesn't know what's being transferred from said device, whether it's voice data, or just data in general. The puck is what collects data from the satellites and then that data is just transferred via bluetooth to your phone and program that you are running..
    2 things.
    A) Bluetooth does "know" what is being transferred. There are different protocols used for different things.
    B) Verizon does block bluetooth. Ever notice that you can't receive files over bluetooth but you can send them just fine? Ya, thank VZW for that one.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=138&pID=6302 is the puck and software I use. It is awesome. Gives turn by turn directions. Shows traffic, gas prices, weather, and pretty much anything the Garmin Nuvi series does.
    08-14-08 10:06 AM
    2 things.
    A) Bluetooth does "know" what is being transferred. There are different protocols used for different things.
    B) Verizon does block bluetooth. Ever notice that you can't receive files over bluetooth but you can send them just fine? Ya, thank VZW for that one.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=138&pID=6302 is the puck and software I use. It is awesome. Gives turn by turn directions. Shows traffic, gas prices, weather, and pretty much anything the Garmin Nuvi series does.
    Don't you have to pay a subscription for that Garmin gps?
    08-14-08 10:19 AM
    Don't you have to pay a subscription for that Garmin gps?
    $100/year is less than $120. But yes, in order to get the traffic, weather, and gas prices you need to subscribe. If you don't want their software then just by a puck off ebay. I am just letting you know that I am personally very pleased with Garmin's product.

It charges through mini USB, acquires satellites fast and has a replaceable battery that gets really good battery life.
    08-14-08 11:45 AM
    B) Verizon does block bluetooth. Ever notice that you can't receive files over bluetooth but you can send them just fine?
    Funny, I have no trouble sending files to my 8330. Just one at a time.
    08-14-08 11:49 AM
    2 things.

Yes, you can transfer via bluetooth.... Me and a buddy with a motorola Razor were transferring ringtones and whatnot back and forth to each other one day... So it is possible to send AND receive via bluetooth..
    08-14-08 02:31 PM
    2 things.
    Wow, you mean that all the files I've transferred to my 8330 via Bluetooth really didn't transfer? That I haven't actually been using them as ringtones and wallpaper? Holy crap . . . I must be hallucinatin' . . .

Gotta lay off the crack, I guess.
    08-14-08 03:27 PM
    Wow, you mean that all the files I've transferred to my 8330 via Bluetooth really didn't transfer? That I haven't actually been using them as ringtones and wallpaper? Holy crap . . . I must be hallucinatin' . . .

Well ****, what am I doing wrong then? I am never able to receive files from other BT devices using obex.

EDIT:I realize that is a dumb question, because you wouldn't have any clue what I am doing wrong if I don't tell you what I am doing. Maybe another time.
    08-14-08 05:05 PM

I can't speak for the 8330 but one of my sons had a V3 Razr that would not transfer files. I bought a crack for it for about $10 that unlocked it. This was about 2 years ago now so maybe they've changed their policy on it since. It was publicized that they were doing that.

I still don't like 'em but that's just me
    08-14-08 05:28 PM
    For all wondering... the GPS "puck" is just an external GPS receiver that interfaces with your BlackBerry using BlueTooth.

The reason this 'enables' GPS on VZW devices is because it fools the device, since it is an external receiver. Verizon has the internal GPS unit blocked out unless used with VZNav, but external GPS receivers are not blocked.
    Thank you so much for clarifying this info.

I have seen this mentioned before and I am interested in possibly using one. Can you provide a bit more info please....Do you then get all the capabilities of the full GPS of the BB, using this puck?

I guess I am also wondering, why wouldn't someone just buy a portable GPS, like Garmin, Tom Tom etc. as a separate device vs. something almost the same cost that is only to enable your phone device?

Thank you so much for the info
    08-14-08 05:31 PM
    Thank you so much for clarifying this info.

I have seen this mentioned before and I am interested in possibly using one. Can you provide a bit more info please....Do you then get all the capabilities of the full GPS of the BB, using this puck?

I guess I am also wondering, why wouldn't someone just buy a portable GPS, like Garmin, Tom Tom etc. as a separate device vs. something almost the same cost that is only to enable your phone device?

Thank you so much for the info
    Yes you get full gps use of the bb. And in some instances, not all, that i have seen, sometimes pucks actually work better than the internal gps, on blackberry's that is. If you were using it constantly, it would be beneficial to just buy a garmin or tom tom like you suggest, but for instances of using it to geocache, i don't know of an actual car unit that will work for that.. Not sure, i don't know much about them... But you can find pucks for fairly cheap... I bought my Freedom 2000 keychain off of amazon for about 81 dollars shipped.. Plus it's a portability thing that you can use with your phone, your buddy's phone if you dont have yours or it's not working, ect.

I know i don't use my puck on a regular basis, but as a truck driver, if i can't find something just off of memory, i just fire it up and locate what i'm looking for... comes in real handy.. But be aware, in order to download refreshed maps, you have to be in an area that you have data....

Hope that helps..

Brandon
    08-14-08 05:51 PM
    I can't speak for the 8330 but one of my sons had a V3 Razr that would not transfer files. I bought a crack for it for about $10 that unlocked it. This was about 2 years ago now so maybe they've changed their policy on it since. It was publicized that they were doing that.

Agreed on the not liking the razr's... I can't stand them... i think that's the first motorola since the E815 i believe it was, that i didn't like.... The E815 was a diamond, i miss that phone....

Just to clarify, the razr i was transferring with was on T-mobile, but my bb on verizon would send and receive them...
    08-14-08 05:56 PM
    Well ****, what am I doing wrong then? I am never able to receive files from other BT devices using obex.

EDIT:I realize that is a dumb question, because you wouldn't have any clue what I am doing wrong if I don't tell you what I am doing. Maybe another time.
    Go into your bluetooth setup and make sure under options you have all the profiles enabled... once you do that and have another bluetooth device to transfer to, go into your media, go to ringtones if you have any custom ones, highlight a ringtone, hit menu and you should have an option to send and receive via bluetooth... see if any of that works for you...

Also, wasn't trying to be an a$$ cmptrnrd, but i know it can be done, i've done it on my 8830 and 8130 with verizon..

EDIT: Also, make sure your other device is paired with your bb and it can send/receive data that way.... I know it's obvious, but just a shot in the dark..
    08-14-08 06:00 PM
    Brandon, thanks. Yes it was very helpful, other than I am not sure what 'geocache' means?

be safe out there on the roads!
    08-14-08 06:03 PM
    is the process of adding geographical identification metadata to various media such as websites, RSS feeds, or images and is a form of geospatial metadata. This data usually consists of latitude and longitude coordinates, though it can also include altitude, bearing, and place names. Sometimes the term geocoding is also used for the geotagging process, though it is generally referred to as being the process of taking non-coordinate based geographical identifiers, such as a postal address, and assigning geographic coordinates to them (or vice versa).
    Geotagging can help users find a wide variety of location-specific information. For instance, one can find images taken near a given location by entering latitude and longitude coordinates into a Geotagging-enabled image search engine. Geotagging-enabled information services can also potentially be used to find location-based news, websites, or other resources
    08-14-08 06:10 PM
    is the process of adding geographical identification metadata to various media such as websites, RSS feeds, or images and is a form of geospatial metadata. This data usually consists of latitude and longitude coordinates, though it can also include altitude, bearing, and place names. Sometimes the term geocoding is also used for the geotagging process, though it is generally referred to as being the process of taking non-coordinate based geographical identifiers, such as a postal address, and assigning geographic coordinates to them (or vice versa).
    Geotagging can help users find a wide variety of location-specific information. For instance, one can find images taken near a given location by entering latitude and longitude coordinates into a Geotagging-enabled image search engine. Geotagging-enabled information services can also potentially be used to find location-based news, websites, or other resources
    Thanks Yester18.... Geocaching/Geotagging are the correct wording for them i think.... Geocaching is finding, Geotagging is giving co-ordinates for a location i believe... someone correct me if i'm wrong...

Thanks Gregmar, i try to be! I just heard from a friend back east, that a truck driver got cut off going over a bridge from a girl falling asleep at the wheel i believe, truck went off the bridge into the water, and the truck driver drowned... Definately have to take caution in all situations..
    08-14-08 06:17 PM
    WOW.....I don't even know what to say, but thank you!
    08-14-08 06:24 PM
    Thanks Yester18.... Geocaching/Geotagging are the correct wording for them i think.... Geocaching is finding, Geotagging is giving co-ordinates for a location i believe... someone correct me if i'm wrong...

Thanks Gregmar, i try to be! I just heard from a friend back east, that a truck driver got cut off going over a bridge from a girl falling asleep at the wheel i believe, truck went off the bridge into the water, and the truck driver drowned... Definately have to take caution in all situations..
    OMG, that is terrible! Well, I give you a lot of credit, and respect what you do, and have to put up with a lot of bad motorists...... people don't realize how much longer it takes for a big truck to stop than a car. I give trucks all the room they need, when on the road. Sorry to get off topic!
    08-14-08 06:28 PM
    OMG, that is terrible! Well, I give you a lot of credit, and respect what you do, and have to put up with a lot of bad motorists...... people don't realize how much longer it takes for a big truck to stop than a car. I give trucks all the room they need, when on the road. Sorry to get off topic!
    Yup, it's amazing what you see from the view of that truck sometimes... You would be surprised how many people don't consider things like that.... Best part is when someone looks over and see's a 25 year old who looks like they're just barely 20 (me) driving a semi truck though! lol

Back on topic now..
    08-14-08 06:40 PM
    Go into your bluetooth setup and make sure under options you have all the profiles enabled... once you do that and have another bluetooth device to transfer to, go into your media, go to ringtones if you have any custom ones, highlight a ringtone, hit menu and you should have an option to send and receive via bluetooth... see if any of that works for you...

Also, wasn't trying to be an a$$ cmptrnrd, but i know it can be done, i've done it on my 8830 and 8130 with verizon..

EDIT: Also, make sure your other device is paired with your bb and it can send/receive data that way.... I know it's obvious, but just a shot in the dark..
    Are ringtones the only thing you can transfer? I only have the standard ones. I was trying to send MP3s and Pictures off my mSD card and it wasn't letting me. I forget now if it was failing, or if their was just no option. I will try it later sometime. I guess it doesn't work I am fine with that because I am a pretty selfish person and don't usually share things anyway. Haha.

NOTE: as a temporary check while BT is on only paired with my GPS puck, the options only show receive using bluetooth. Would both options show up, or is that normal?
    08-15-08 09:11 AM
    what about google maps is that considered GPS?? if so do i get charge for using that? sorry newb question
    08-19-08 03:16 PM
    Agreed on the not liking the razr's... I can't stand them... i think that's the first motorola since the E815 i believe it was, that i didn't like.... The E815 was a diamond, i miss that phone....
    That's funny - the Razr is the only Motorola phone I'd buy again. My V325i is a piece of crap, it turned me off to Motorola forever. But my wife's pink Razr and my MIL's charcoal Razr are both excellent, with the one exception that the ringer can't be set softer than "extremely loud." Note that I haven't lived with the Razr on a daily basis so I can't speak to its battery life.

Not trying to draw the thread off-topic, so I will add: I hate Verizon's B.S. restrictions on phone interface, phone features, and blocked features! If there were a better carrier where I live, I'd get us all to move to it in a second, but we have too many friends and family on Verizon in-calling and they have the best coverage were we live and travel.
    08-19-08 04:17 PM
    what about google maps is that considered GPS?? if so do i get charge for using that? sorry newb question
    Google maps can't use the internal GPS, so it uses cell tower triangulation. If you have an external puck, it should be able to use that. As long as you have a data plan, you won't be charged for using Google Maps.
    08-19-08 05:11 PM

Verizon does restrict the BT functionality of some of their phones, but not the Blackberries. I assumed I didn't have to spell that out, since this is, after all, a forum dedicated to the Blackberry
    08-20-08 06:51 AM
    That's funny - the Razr is the only Motorola phone I'd buy again. My V325i is a piece of crap, it turned me off to Motorola forever. But my wife's pink Razr and my MIL's charcoal Razr are both excellent, with the one exception that the ringer can't be set softer than "extremely loud." Note that I haven't lived with the Razr on a daily basis so I can't speak to its battery life.

Not trying to draw the thread off-topic, so I will add: I hate Verizon's B.S. restrictions on phone interface, phone features, and blocked features! If there were a better carrier where I live, I'd get us all to move to it in a second, but we have too many friends and family on Verizon in-calling and they have the best coverage were we live and travel.
    I think the model number was E815, but it was a flip phone clamshell style that was out a few years ago! If you can find one grab it and try it out, assuming you can use the charger port... They are the best "dumbphone" I have found that I liked! If my charger port didn't fry on my old one, I would probably still be rocking it! This phone was pre-razr's, slvrs, ect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 03:46 PM
    the e815 was an aswesome phone, thank god the razr is being retired, that phone is garbage.
    08-20-08 05:49 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD