03-12-09 09:49 AM
60 123
tools
    Does verizon restrict what types of applications you can add for a blackberry? For example the gps, my friend has an app that uses the gps, will that not work on Verizon?
    08-11-08 08:00 PM
    The ONLY GPS that works on Verizon phones, blackberry or not, is the VZ Navigator which cost $10/mo
    08-11-08 08:05 PM
    correct - VZW will use VZNav
    08-11-08 08:05 PM
    Gps doesn't work on verizon phones.. Verizon themselves locks it out to 3rd party apps. The only workaround right now is to buy a bluetooth puck. I have one and they work well.. Just depends on if you want to spend the cash on one... Hope that helps..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 08:06 PM
    Gps doesn't work on verizon phones.. Verizon themselves locks it out to 3rd party apps. The only workaround right now is to buy a bluetooth puck. I have one and they work well.. Just depends on if you want to spend the cash on one... Hope that helps..

I actually plan to do this.
    08-11-08 08:12 PM
    Verizon locks down all of their phones, not just BB. My previous motorolas with bluetooth on T Mobile, I was able to transfer files to and from the phone. My son had a V3 from Verizon.....no dice. They suck for that.

08-11-08 08:16 PM
    They suck for that.
    Quote FTW.....
    08-11-08 08:19 PM
    thats why I say **** Verizon!
    08-11-08 08:21 PM
    But I want the thunder so bad Anyway if that's the only thing I guess I could buy one of these bluetooth pucks, but what exactly do they do?
    08-11-08 08:27 PM
    But I want the thunder so bad Anyway if that's the only thing I guess I could buy one of these bluetooth pucks, but what exactly do they do?
    the puck is the only way to go right now im looking into one now ...its just that there are many 3rd party apps. that vzw will not let through
    08-11-08 10:06 PM
    What is a bluetooth puck, and how does it make GPS work on the verizon phones?
    08-11-08 10:13 PM
    What is a bluetooth puck, and how does it make GPS work on the verizon phones?
    That's my question better worded
    08-11-08 10:36 PM
    08-11-08 10:39 PM
    Well I have the telenav right now on Alltel, does that mean when Verizon comes in to take over I can't have it for free anymore?! I am really really dreading this because I love Alltel... My dad has had the same phone number and account with Alltel since 1996!!

08-11-08 10:44 PM
    For all wondering... the GPS "puck" is just an external GPS receiver that interfaces with your BlackBerry using BlueTooth.

The reason this 'enables' GPS on VZW devices is because it fools the device, since it is an external receiver. Verizon has the internal GPS unit blocked out unless used with VZNav, but external GPS receivers are not blocked.
    08-11-08 10:57 PM
    I hope they're not reading this....I'd hate for them to be onto us and block that too!
    08-11-08 10:59 PM
    So if I buy one of these pucks, and ocne it is linked up, how is the GPS used? Can you go to google maps and have it find your location? Or do you just get certain apps for the BB? Might have to get one of these for the car when I get my thunder.
    08-11-08 11:06 PM
    So if I buy one of these pucks, and ocne it is linked up, how is the GPS used? Can you go to google maps and have it find your location? Or do you just get certain apps for the BB? Might have to get one of these for the car when I get my thunder.
    Once I have the puck paired to my BB, I have to go into blackberry maps and start the gps navigation. There is something with bb maps that will lock onto the gps and hold it, then you can run any program you want, if its configured correctly and is compatible with your phone model... Pretty much any other programs that i have come across will not lock onto it, so you would have bbmaps and whatever other program running at the same time, ie. google maps, gpsed, ect.
    08-12-08 01:53 AM
    I hope they're not reading this....I'd hate for them to be onto us and block that too!
    I don't think that would be possible, they would more than likely have to block bluetooth, which they wouldn't do.. If i understand it correctly, the bluetooth doesn't know what's being transfered from said device, whether it's voice data, or just data in general. The puck is what collects data from the satellites and then that data is just transfered via bluetooth to your phone and program that you are running..
    08-12-08 01:57 AM
    Is Verizon Nav any good? Or at least worth the $10/mo?
    08-12-08 02:39 AM
    Interesting... (wheels spinning)

So, tell me this...if you're using that puck, can you not be using your bluetooth headset at the same time? Out here in CA, we have a new law that requires hands free device.
    08-12-08 07:58 AM
    Another way to screw the end user by Verizon!!!
    08-12-08 12:35 PM
    Interesting... (wheels spinning)

So, tell me this...if you're using that puck, can you not be using your bluetooth headset at the same time? Out here in CA, we have a new law that requires hands free device.
    I can still use my headset and puck at the same time... i've been told it doesn't work with all headsets, but it paired with both my plantronics and my buddy's motorola headset that's a few years old... Washington just got that law passed recently too...
    08-12-08 03:08 PM
    Another way to screw the end user by Verizon!!!
    this topic is nothing new...
    Last edited by snowboarder61; 08-12-08 at 06:01 PM.
    08-12-08 03:11 PM
    Alrighty, maybe someone can aim me in the right direction. Is there a way to get to my "my verizion" site to change rbt or even check my billing info bec. I keep getting a request error?
    08-14-08 09:37 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD