Verizon requires that you purchase a text messaging plan to get unlimited free texts?

My friend has sprint and he told me that the data package plan included unlimited texting for him.

Is it true that i need a text messaging plan to get unlimted free texts? Or is it included in my data pack service?
    06-15-08 09:20 AM
    You do need a data plan if you don't want to pay per text. The unlimited data plan is just that unlimited data does not include sms or mms.
    06-15-08 09:34 AM
    Yeah, it's separate. If it wasn't for the fact that Verizon covers the areas I travel around ten times better than the other carriers, I would have jumped ship long ago. (Having a corporate discount on my bill helps too, but not much.)

On the upside, the recently revised pricing on data plans and such seems to indicate that VZW realizes they have to at least try to compete. Maybe we'll eventually see more carriers adopt all you can eat plans like Sprint has.
    06-15-08 09:38 AM
    Verizon requires that you purchase a text messaging plan to get unlimited free texts?

My friend has sprint and he told me that the data package plan included unlimited texting for him.

Is it true that i need a text messaging plan to get unlimted free texts? Or is it included in my data pack service?
    With a unlimited text messaging plan, you're getting as stated unlimited text. Not free, but unlimited text for which you're paying.
    Nothing in Life is Free, may cost less, but definitely not free.
    06-15-08 10:06 AM
    Yeah, i didnt actually mean free texts, i just meant you don't have to pay per text.

Thanks for answering.
    06-15-08 10:11 AM
    Welcome to the Crack!
    06-15-08 10:29 AM
    I know that sucks they always get you by the short hairs.
    06-15-08 10:41 AM
    Verizon cell service and data speed is fabulous. You get what you pay for.
    06-15-08 10:50 AM
    Verizon cell service and data speed is fabulous. You get what you pay for.
    ...and pay, and pay, and pay. Yeah, I have Verizon because the primary reason for cell phones is, well to use them. Where I live, ATT is a (very) distant second in coverage.

I just get irritated, not by the higher price they charge for access - after all, they DO have the best coverage - but by the fact that they charge for everything. I have a Curve that INCLUDES GPS, but Verizon locks out the GPS and insists you use VZ Navigator for $10 per month. You pay $29.95 for unlimited DATA on a Blackberry, but it doesn't include SMS or MMS - those, you pay extra for.

Etc, Etc, Etc. As soon as #2 becomes a close second in coverage, I'll jump ship from Verizon. I hope that happens soon.
    06-15-08 11:00 AM
    Nothing in Life is Free
    Rain and sunlight are free.
    06-15-08 11:33 AM
    Rain is free.
    Acid Rain certainly is Free
    06-15-08 11:34 AM
    ^^^ Where you live. Remember that the atmosphere between the rainclouds and earth must be polluted enough for the water to in rain to be considered caustic. It's not like that everywhere.
    06-15-08 11:39 AM
    ^^^ Where you live. Remember that the atmosphere between the rainclouds and earth must be polluted enough for the water to in rain to be considered caustic. It's not like that everywhere.
    Then why is it they keep telling us of Global Warming?
    06-15-08 12:31 PM
    Yes, unlimited, not free... lol.

Data plans = Internet
    Text Messaging is different.

Although you have unlimited data which covers internet usage, it does not cover internet. Sprint has the same deal. Your friend may have simply everything where it's included and was given a deal where he received both unlimited data and text messaging.
    06-15-08 01:22 PM
    Acid Rain certainly is Free
    Actually... Rain, breathing, sitting down, looking around... All of the "free" things like that aren't even free... The government charges for it, but they call it "taxes."
    06-15-08 04:14 PM
    I dont know why you seem stunned by this.... its verizon, they charge you for everything!!!!!! theyre gonna eventually lose business because people get tired of them :-(

pretty much bottom line is verizon is the best amongst coverage and they know it, so theyll keep makin us pay for it. what needs to happen is we the customer need to make them think theyre not the best! so then theyll lower prices!!!
    Last edited by Sensesfail99; 06-15-08 at 04:43 PM.
    06-15-08 04:40 PM
    Remember that Blackberry's are different from every other smart phone - they use RIM as an ISP (Internet Service Provider) instead of Verizon, which merely hands off your Internet traffic over to RIM's infrastructure. Texting isn't Internet though.

FWIW, technically speaking, -everything- that comes and goes through a cell phone is just data. Voice data, SMS data, Internet data, it's all just bits and bytes. What they do with that data determines how they charge for it.
    06-15-08 05:41 PM
    You pay for a text message plan for all the carriers. Sprint just bundles it into a package to make it look like its free. You're friend is paying for it somewhere down the line.
    06-16-08 08:37 AM
    haha, thanks thanks
    06-16-08 01:49 PM
    Remember that Blackberry's are different from every other smart phone - they use RIM as an ISP (Internet Service Provider) instead of Verizon, which merely hands off your Internet traffic over to RIM's infrastructure. Texting isn't Internet though.

FWIW, technically speaking, -everything- that comes and goes through a cell phone is just data. Voice data, SMS data, Internet data, it's all just bits and bytes. What they do with that data determines how they charge for it.
    This is why BB data plans start at $30/month for verizon and their regular phones start at $15 (my bf just got the Glyde and his plan is $15/month and I asked the guy why his was less and he said because the BB uses the BB network). Of course neither plan includes text, as many have stated. When my sister and I upgraded to BB's they failed to carry over our unlimited text even though we told them we wanted the plan to stay the same and ended up with a $900 bill. We got them to take it off but yes its ridiculous and the GPS thing makes me so angry but I will probably never switch.
    06-16-08 02:45 PM
    I wish Verizon included texts in the unlimited data, but like previously mentioned its not gonna happen. Verizon is a little pricey but the service is awesome. I like the fact that when you call CS someone that understands english answers. If there were something equal to Verizon and cheaper, I would probably jump ship
    06-16-08 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD